The Bible in 50 words

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wesmorrisbabe, May 13, 2003.

1. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

Ah, the starter of this thread. His comment kinda just came out of nowhere so I was curious.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

NP, pardon if I sounded rude. I'm just a little concerned about the "yikes" that followed his revalation. I don't like it when people dis the wifey ya know? (she's the sweetest, love the heck out of her)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jade Squirrel Impassioned Atheist Registered Senior Member

The Bible is its own phonetic self-description in two words: buy bull.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

LOL.. nice.

8. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Admit to what exactly? Your allusive accusation of my lying orrrrr the "dig" theory?
    Now that makes sense - but from my perpective it's still just an observation.
    Well that thought did cross my mind - and it was a factor of the whole reason why I typed 'follower'.
    To make him realise what it looked like he was doing, "Saying yeah, sure, uh huh, yeah." - a "yes man" - that makes you look quite 'religious' - accepting it all by faith without any reasoning to come with it? Agreed? Well at least he spoke for himself with his proposed argument.
    First we have to come to a mutual definition of mature, which in my opinion, is quite difficult. In other words I really don't care whether I appear "mature" to anyone because that's more a personal concept - it's like you saying "I'm ugly". Pleeeeaasse.

To add, I always try to include a bit of humour in my posts, so, about your apparent wife - 'yikes' just meant we have enough "wesmorrises" on the forum - can't handle one more. No offensive. It would appear that she has some theistic tendency too; Re: "The Bible In 50 Words"?

9. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

Yeah, well I would rather follow a flesh a blood person than some invisible guy who everyone is suppose to love and fear at the same time. Anyways you never replied to my earlier post.

10. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

O.k. Some people say monkeys are stupid: some say they are smart. What do you say?
    Well you brought it up and got me interested. You see, I believe in God, so if there is something that might contradict His being I really want to know what it might be. But the question then arises, is omnipotence 'stupid' or is it the questions that are raised? For example, say God was... smart... yeah?... why would he create something he can't handle? Why would he create a another God? Frankly, I don't think it's the concept that is stupid.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well for many scientists energy has always existed and has no origin - that's a fundamental scientific concept. Stupid, isn't it?
    I disagree here. I think his plan involves us and our free will [with which evil is inextricably intertwined - but with God all is possible]
    Maybe, it would be interesting to find them describing the same God Christians do wouldn't it? However, I doubt that would be - they may not have needed Jesus to die for them.
    Jesus died for us and saved us from God's wrath - well - those who will accept His offer anyway.
    Couldn't be the same God of the Bible; He is analogical to what scientists say for energy - Is, Was, and Will be.
    Or maybe because they need him. With people like you and wes in mind I see God as a, say, fundamental particle - a quark - you can't see Him, He is somewhat intangible, so you don't think He is there - and yet without Him - you wouldn't exist.
    What exactly do you mean by weak minded?
    Please, don't waste your energy pitying me, o.k.? I have my self-confidence, I trust my friends. I believe in God, and His goodness, and His Substance, and His Omnipotence.

Lata bro.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you can illustrate how these statements are not mutually exclusive? If you "believe" then how can you accept evidence which contradicts your "belief"?

12. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

sorry hit post twice on accident

13. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

But what if he was created by another god? You know that in the correct translation of the bible the word god is actaully plural and in the bible it says we us and our a lot so even the text that you hold dear says there is more than one god. the whole angels thing actually just says gods.

If he meant us to have free will then he possibly cannot punish us for not believeing in him, if he would do so it cintradicts the whole free will concept.

Someone not open to the concept of believeing something else or the fact that something might be different than what they think it is.

Fine I won't pity you, but if you could just spend one moment trying to phathom the idea that god never existed, then I will leave you be.

14. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Well, yes, Christians attribute the pluralisation to the Trinity. Well, not gods, but 'sons of god' [the angel thing]. And so what if God was created be something else? Does it really matter to us who cannot know, and to whom He would be the most powerful being we ever will encounter?
    It's not that simple, through our free will He is sending us where we want to go. You can't say you haven't been implored to put your faith in God by someone already. If through your choices you choose to go to hell, well, that's where you want to go obviously.
    Well, I'm a Christian, and that doesn't describe me. You can always entertain a thought and not accept it. Why would you believe something which contradicts what you hold to be true?
    I've entertained the thought many times, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. None of the proposed arguments against his existence have compelled me to do so.

15. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

How old are you Marc?

16. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

So let me see here, in order for you not to believe in something I am VERY CONFIDENT is total bullshit.. I have to prove to you that it's not bullshit.

That's impossible if you've already accepted that it's not bullshit.

May I ask if you were raised as a christian? I suppose at least in christian home?

17. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

Being raised christian really doesn't have anything to do with it. I asked his age becaue I have found if no one is told any other way by the time there 18 it's pretty much a hopeless battle. I have converted many people who have been raised christian.

18. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

I strive to maintain a certain level of anonimity on the web. But if you are trying to "convert" me... [laughing like hell]... keep trying. I only aim to make you realise truth within yourselves.

Err wes, do you understand what you typed up there?... cause I don't.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Yes I do, but I'll rephrase just for you!

You've already chosen what you believe and misrepresent yourself when you say that if there is compelling evidence as to why that belief is irrational that you're interested. You know you're not, but you seem to tell yourself otherwise so you don't seem like a "blind-faith" christian, which is in fact what you really are.

I think you lie (mostly to yourself) when you claim to be open to arguments contrary to your beliefs.

20. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

even better - one word: CRAP!

21. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

As I said, when the evidence is compelling enough - which I doubt it ever will be as it is always open to debate I will be utterly convinced. We don't know enough about our surroundings to state without doubt that there is no God
    Well, as you stated, what you think is not always correct. Entertain the thought, but there is no compelling reason to accept it. I'm done with this.

Until next time wes.

22. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

Yes that is quite good Wesmorrisbabe. It doesn't make as interesting thing as the original though.

You're married Wesmorris??

I had no idea! Congratulations!

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

if God was omnipotent, then why couldn't he find Adam and Eve after they had eaten from the tree of knowledge? He should have known where they were if he was omnicient (part of omnipotent).

If God is omnipotent, then how can hell, a place defined as "Out of God's sight", exist?

Based on the Bible, the foundation of your (and used to be my) religion, he certainly doesn't seem to be omnipotent to me.

I don't want to convert anyone, but I do feel bad for people who live their lives based on faith of a belief system which has alot of pitfalls. if something goes wrong in a die hard christian's life, you get one of two extremes as a reaction (IME), "Oh, God why have you forsaken me", and "Oh, God I understand that you are testing me, so I will perservere". Neither of which is the response that it *should be*, IMO. "What's the problem, how can I help to fix it?"