The Best US President Since WWII

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lord Hillyer, Oct 27, 2006.

?

Best President Post-WWII?

1. Harry S Truman (1945-1953)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Dwight D Eisenhower (1953-1961)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. John F Kennedy (1961-1963)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Lyndon B Johnson (1963-1969)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Richard M Nixon (1969-1974)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Gerald R Ford (1974-1977)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. James E Carter (1977-1981)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. Ronald W Reagan (1981-1989)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  9. George H W Bush (1989-1993)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. William J Clinton (1993-2001)

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  11. George W Bush (2001-Present)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Please vote, and then post why you believe so.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

No None of the Above category? Honestly, I detest each and every one of them. All members of the oligarchist twin party system.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

If you could get yourself elected, I'd bet your attitude could change.

Easier to be an outsider, by far. No effort necessary, really. Right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

Crawling into the same kittylitter as these pigs is beneath me Sir G. I have a problem with all of them. Some I detest more than others, but the point is oligarchists and capitalists don't impress me or interest me. Mediocrity may suit you but I think America can do better than this list.

8. draqon Banned Banned

why hasnt anyone voted for current G.W. Bush? isnt he amazing little fella?

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Ronald Reagan was my choice. On practically everything he was great, with the exclusion of a bad response to the Beirut marine barracks assault.

We'll allow the gipper to have one fault.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I voted for Clinton not because he was great but because I could think of the least to disqualify him from the competition.
    • Truman dropped A-bombs on civilians.
    • Ike completed the Republican Party's adoption of the 1929 Communist Party platform by establishing the Deparment of Health, Education and Welfare.
    • Kennedy charmed us into looking the other way while he involved the U.S. in another country's civil war.
    • Johnson turned America into a full-fledged welfare state.
    • Watergate.
    • Ford was a buffoon, although the poor guy never asked for the job.
    • Carter politicized the Olympics, and as a result the L.A. Olympics that we had been waiting 52 years for were ruined by the reciprocal boycott.
    • Reagan added the last zero to the national debt.
    • Bush the First suckered us into the First Gulf War, just when the Cold War was ending and we thought we could finally relax.
    • Bush the Second--be serious. The man can't even speak his native language fluently. Grover Cleveland couldn't have done a worse job of reacting to 9/11.
    Clinton made it seem for eight brief years that the Love and Peace G-g-g-generation had finally paid its dues and was taking power. A Rhodes Scholar, a saxophone player, a free-lovin' draft-dodgin' spliff-burnin' color-blind rock'n'rollin' Baby Boomer in the White House. Soon all the churches would be replaced by Buddhist temples, the Peace Corps would be bringing the Third World up to code, the War on Drugs would be shut down, wrestling on TV would be replaced by the Shakespeare channel, and taxes would of course go up because he was a Democrat but at least we'd get something for it besides wars.

And then we got Bush the Second? A Baby Boomer who acts like the reincarnation of my mother who would be 96 and would still be watching Lawrence Welk?

Even though Clinton was not a Great President, my feelings about him at the time were inflated by the sense of relief that the Old Farts were finally gone and a guy who had at least known some hippies, even if he was not one, was in the White House. My feelings about him now are inflated by the transition to a retro-Old Fart.

Why did my little brother's generation (if I had had one) only get one President when my parents' had nine and now a tenth posthumously?

11. draqon Banned Banned

Clinton and Putin...this was such awsome age. The president of my nations, the presidents I love. I used to go on so many government funded trips...with my mom. San Diego, Boston, Chicago...all sheraton hotels...oh these were the days. And now...half of it is gone.

12. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

You mean like training and supporting the RPF and then ignoring the backlash genocide of 500,000 Tutsi? Or ignoring escalating terrorist attacks on U.S. military and embassies while cutting military and intelligence funding?

~Raithere

13. draqon Banned Banned

noone's perfect. choose the lesser of the evils.

14. Roman Banned Banned

I know Clinton cut military funding– as it's unlikely we'd be fighting a tank battle in Kursk anytime soon, but int funding?

I thought he was spending more on counter-terrorism, or trying to (he had some difficulty with everything controlled by Republicans), and then Bush II totally dropped the ball.

15. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

We're talking politicians, you can have one evil or another evil... there's no such thing as a lesser evil.

~Raithere

16. draqon Banned Banned

oh really?...

which would you choose?

for me to poke you slightly or to beat you up?

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Reagan kicked ass. He won the cold war, restored American confidence, and rebuilt the economy after Carter destroyed it.

18. Roman Banned Banned

Does being in office when the inevitable occurs actually count as "winning"?

19. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

Sure he did. Pretty much everyone did. But Bush was still working with a budget and intelligence community put in place during Clinton's administration.

~Raithere

20. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

I was talking about politicians.

~Raithere

21. draqon Banned Banned

Bush and Stalin are both evil...both are presidents/politicians in their lifetime...who would you choose to be your president, if given a choice?

Would you choose the lesser of the evils? and Bush is the lesser evil. Bush only murdered inderectly 5000 or so people...and Stalin murdered millions...

22. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi Posters

Perhaps we should rename this thread into has the US ever had a good President and who was he???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

take care
    zak

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The only good american president is a dead one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!