the best superfood is in every grocery store and is not expensive

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by RioNapo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Peel and grate an apple; peel and grate for about a table spoon of horseradish (fresh); add a tablespoon or two of sour cream; mix with a fork.

You can add cumin, salt, and some people add some more things, such as lemon juice, I just go with the basic recipe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Another superfood. Watercress. Oh, and Spinach of course.
    All the Crucifers are superfoods I think.
    Even the humble cabbage.

And then there is the Onion family.........

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There are many varieties of broccoli to choose from for the home gardener. Broccoli is a cool weather crop and a heavy feeder, requiring good soil. Hot weather causes it to grow rapidly and go to flower prematurely with a resulting loss of flavor.

Unfortunately, this variety is not seen in the supermarket, where most people purchase their vegetables. If you have access to a farmer's market, you should have a better selection to choose from and it should, conceivably be fresher.

Young and fresh, when grown in optimum conditions, broccoli is tender and almost sweet. Unfortunately, when grown for size and stressed to meet market demands, the offering in the large corporate venues can be anything but optimum.

The weather and soil conditions really affect the flavor of broccoli. It can be absolutely succulent or it can be disgustingly horrid. Lightly stir-fried as in beef broccoli is my preferred way to eat it or really fresh with a good dip.

As some may be aware, broccoli consumption is also associated with malodorous flatulence, from metabolism of the sulfur-containing compounds it contains.

Eaten raw or very lightly cooked, this effect is minimal to nil for most persons. Proper food combining can also minimize the deleterious effects of the digestive system where the cruciferous vegetables are concerned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Probably yes.
    The super chemical in broccoli is the one that makes it taste hot.
    More of it in Horseradish.
    I think. Could be wrong. That the chemical that makes it taste horrible is one of the breakdown chemicals after it is past its best.

If it isn't a beautiful dark green, chuck it in the bin.
    Don't eat it Arauca!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Jim S Registered Senior Member

How do sweet potatoes do in the superfood/vitamin/good-for-you list? I love em. Daniel Boone did too, he ate a whole bunch when he was an old man and got a tummy ach and died a few days later. Injuns couldn't kill him, but those sweet potaters did.

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I agree, for the first time in a long time with Fraggle.

Also, I would like to ask the OP to stay in the same room with me after I ate broccoli and see if it is wind or tornado...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. RioNapo Registered Member

sweet potatoes I don't think would be on the superfood list because superfoods are generally high nutrient, low calorie. sweet potatoes would score points on nutrients, but not on it's calorie content. I am glad that scheherazade mentioned it's growth habit in hot weather. I was considering growing it when I am living in the amazon, but maybe that won't work.