The Bernie Mac Show

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by goofyfish, Apr 5, 2002.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

I just heard that white folks weren't expected to watch The Bernie Mac Show. Oops! I screwed up. I've watched and enjoyed this comedy of manners since it came on the air. Glad I missed the memo that said I wasn't supposed to watch it.

He never mentions that he is black, which is such a relief after shows like Good Times, where the characters' blackness was as much a topic of conversation as anything else – or Will and Grace, where the viewer is bludgeoned with Will and Jack's gayness. A constant reminder of Bernie Mac's blackness would detract from the universality of the humor. This is a very funny show with great appeal to reluctant parents white or black. His way of talking about kids mirrors my own (although mine isn't nearly as colorful).

Fox has been doing pretty well with sitcoms lately. I hope they keep this one on a long time.

Peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Hey goofy!

Did you watch The Original Kings of Comedy?? His show relates to some of his stand up comedy in that movie. Its hilarious. The funniest is when he is talking about the kids he has to take care of. You got to see it (unless bad language offends you)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Groove on

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'm more of a malcom-in-the-middle-seinfeld-type-of-guy meeself. Haven't seen too much of the show but what I did see looked okay .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.