The Ban

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by The Marquis, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Oh come, come. It can’t be argued that both were volleying at each other the other day like professional tennis players in top form. We were all captivated. The sponsors wouldn’t have been Fruit Of The Loom, Victoria's Secret, and Lysol, but Ray Ban, Calvin Klein, and Dior Poison.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I had a holiday in the NT a few years ago. I found the heat stifling at first, but got used to it after a few days. From memory, I think I was there in July or August. The trip was well worth it. Went to Kakadu, didn't get to Litchfield. Also went to Katherine Gorge. Darwin's like a country town compared to Melbourne or Sydney.

I've never seen so many crocodiles in so short a time as when I went to the NT. Even visited a crocodile farm/park/whatever you call them and patted a cute baby croc (with a strong rubber band around its jaws). Also went on a night cruise up a river in Kakadu and shared some bush tucker with a (small, but still big enough to kill you) croc who decided to come and see what was going on.

Usually we get runs of one or two or a few days in a row in summer that are stinking hot (40 degrees plus), but there's not often a run of them for a week. With a well-insulated house, the house doesn't heat up as much as the outside. We've never considered air conditioning to be necessary where we are.

The summer of 2009 was ...er... interesting, with an unprecedented run of 40+ temperatures combined with the bush fires devastating the state and killing 180 people.

I have some relatives in Brisbane and used to go there reasonably often when I was a kid. Last time I went back was for a conference a couple of years ago. I quite like the city.

And Paul Hogan's "shrimp on the barbie" ads, and Crocodile Dundee. Most Americans don't realise we don't actually do "shrimp". We have prawns.

Don't get me started.

Jackman is best as a song-and-dance man. Blanchette is ok. Kidman is vastly overrated as an actress, for some reason. Ledger was just coming into his own when he died, which is a pity. Watts is ok. Do you know Eric Bana started as a stand-up comedian?

Geoffrey Rush is, of course, brilliant. I've had the privilege of seeing him perform in live theatre a few times. He's the kind of guy who so inhabits a character that half the film is over before you recognise that it's him. Russell Crowe at his best can do the same thing; he should have won an Oscar for The Insider. I also sat in the row behind Rush and his kids at an orchestral concert once.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

I know. He's pretty big on Broadway over here.

See, we only knew him as "Wolverine" when he started to sing and dance here. . . so people were all like, "Whoa. . . the guy sings!?"

Are you frakking kidding me? Her range is indisputably one of the best. She can play any role with deft and grace. She can fake a perfect southern accent. Even Bana's, Rush's and Kidman's accent comes through when they fake "American". She was the best QE1, EVER.

Noway hozay. You are way wrong.

What's the "same reason". She is, no doubt, in vogue right now, but that doesn't mean she's not a great actor!

No argument here.

Yep. Another "strong man" that has surprised many Americans with his acting ability. He was on Chelsie Lately (when she was filming her show in Oz) and talked about his early career. Total stud.

I love Rush for a movie that made me love Blanchette: "Elizabeth". His Walsingham gave me goosebumps. Even to this day when he tells the bishops how Elizabeth won the vote, I get chills. He made me believe he was a Machiavellian genius. You're right, he totally owns his characters.

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Russell Crowe is a Kiwi.

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

If we are talking range we should say she was the best Bob Dylan in....what was that film again?

9. Bells Staff Member

Shhh..

They inflicted him on us. Now we inflict him on others..

10. superstring01 Moderator

Nope. I mean her range of characters. Some people like--say--Keanu Reeves can do only one role well. Blanchette can do pretty much any character with aplomb.

~String

11. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

I think your giving Keanu Reeves too much credit

12. Emil Valued Senior Member

So, so you quarrel between you and the third will win.
    Comes asians with "Sushi" and "sake"

13. superstring01 Moderator

Perhaps.

But, he played a pretty damned good Neo.

Either way. You get my drift.

~String

14. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

This is one thing that the moderators must remember in this little tête à tête. There is a history, a very volatile history and it doesn't escape me that as soon as gendy comes home, this little black ball of tar comes seething out of the woodwork to try to paint her black again.

You are dishonest The Marquis, and you know it. The mistake you made is not realizing that there are plenty of people here who remember the whole sorid affair as well, apparently more honestly and objectively than you.

Vert isn't trying to compare penii, he's simply trying to right a misconception brought about by the lies being told and the hypocricy being expoused. Invert is right, this ban is a bit on the extreme side considering the history and the baiting The Marquis has always been skilled at when it comes to our lovely twisted mistress Gendanken. Everyone loves to hate the scandalous things and decry them, but they all return like happy little subs ready for everything our brillant dominatrix doles out like candy. But make them bleed without knowing the safeword and the shit hits the fan.

I'm glad the ban was only temporary, and I was glad to see that she had returned. Hopefully the scales will be weighed more fairly in the future if she returns. She breathes life into an otherwise droll and boring scifora. It's always more interesting when she's around, and she's one of the few people you can really say that about.

~Ardi.

15. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Is this some kind of in-joke, or do people actually think that this is a valid way of pluralizing "penis?"

Either way, I don't get it.

17. Bells Staff Member

Oh those of us who were here back then know there is history there. But seriously, it was dragged through the forum then. We don't need the replay or Part II.

It was private and personal then and it remains so now. To reiterate a point made by Gustav earlier in this thread:

This has been going on and off for how long now? Years.

The point is that it is personal between those directly involved in it. We don't need to see it. We don't need people (most of whom weren't even here when all this originally started) taking sides now. This site should not become a soap opera and it becomes dangerously close each time this is dragged through the public forum.

The means available to them to discuss this privately should be used. Emails, Instant Messaging, even the Private Messages available in this forum or even something like Skype (which has call/video call/IM services) should be used by the parties involved to discuss this.

Not drag it through the forums yet again.

I have great respect for those involved as individuals. I even like some of them. What I don't like or respect is having to see their personal relationships being dragged through the forum as it has been. Because the result of that always leads silly mistakes and the need for revenge, as we have seen again and again as a result.

The solution is simple. Either let it go or deal with it in private.

Like grown ups.

Ie.. Not in the public realm of this forum..

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I think this is an important point, and worth some public emphasis whenever a long-standing member is suspended. I'm personally not such an avid follower of Gendy to make the definition without a long review of her posting history, but times like these are salient opportunities for more clearly defining and advancing SciForums now and into the future. It's another opportunity to more clearly draw the line between wit and disdain. Disdain is an ultimately lonely pursuit, and not something this community should long involve itself in entertaining.

19. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Is that a fact. Going on the evidence, a crippled cow trying to escape a cleared paddock wouldn't have to expend too much effort to escape your notice.

Actually, you don't.
    Appeal to the majority? In this case, the majority are all those who seem to be on quite intimate terms with the "lovely" Gendanken, and not a single one has ever had the story from me. Where does the "objectively" figure in here, Liebling?

Never put much stock in the "and you know it" bit. It usually comes only from those who are desperately trying to insinuate that they do.

I could tell you who has been dishonest. Actually, I think I should point out here that omission can be another form of dishonesty. You wouldn't - don't - even know. Gendanken's (or is it Invert's?) version has about as much relation to actual events as a twnety-twenty match in cricket has to a full blown Test.

There is not a single one of you who knows what went on - you know exactly and only what Gendanken has told you (or perhaps has told Invert, who has told you, who is now trying to tell me...), and accept it all as fact.
    All of you steadfastedly refuse to acknowledge that none of you have ever spoken directly and honestly to me about it.
    Know what the truth is? I don't hate Gendanken at all - I think I know her motives. I do think she should have been banned for this - and had it happened to you, you'd think much the same. As for it being permanent - heat of the moment. She contributes a lot to these forums... or rather, did. I've yet to see it this time around. A month or two would have sufficed, particularly in view of the fact that she's done it and been banned for it before. Being banned was a necessary admonishment.

Your mob, though... quite another kettle of fish. Courtiers, all clutching their little synopses and vying for attention and favour.

Ever watched Blackadder? Series three, I think. It's a little difficult not to smile when I think of Nursey and Melchard with the Queen.

Oh don't be ridiculous. Hypocrisy is something your mob appear to be on intimately familiar terms with. "Vert" has been trying to compare pene with me from the moment he thought he saw competition. He even seems to lie to himself about it.

I agree, to some extent. Again, if she'd done it to you I'm quite certain you wouldn't be quite so forgiving.

So that is who you were.
    I'll be willing to bet you don't even remember what you wrote to me a year or so ago regarding your lovely Gendanken and her pal Invert.

You truly don't, do you? I wish I still had it. Seriously. Love to watch your face when you got caught up in your own two faced bullshit.

That is what makes all of this so interesting. Selective memories. Chinese whispers.

... and the end result. For an idea to take hold in the world, all it takes is a few willing to believe in it. Gendanken, for all that she's not even here, is winning this little stoush quite thoroughly. I'll admit that quite readily; and what's more, I don't even mind all that much. A little bit of anger, sure... but that is far overshadowed by the fascinating display of willful ignorance by humanity in groups.

I suppose it's a little like being present in history when Catholocism and Islam first took root in the world. Somewhere, sometime, something happened. I wonder if the prophets were so amused and disgusted at the display of slave mentality that made them both what they are now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  20. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Oh, and in reply to Bells, and the aforementioned Gustav post #44...

Those last two paragraphs are why. In person, I wouldn't see all the background noise. I'd miss all the posturing, the distortion of details, all the fun bits.
    I'd also have never found out just how prolific Gendanken has been in her whispers.

It's all value.
    See?

21. Bells Staff Member

Value is my 3 year old pointing at a fat man in the supermarket and asking at the top of his lungs "Mummy.. what is that big thing?!?".. and my 4 year old asking why a fat woman is "shaped like a ball!!".

This, however, is not value.

None of us want to know what's going on behind the PM's.

This stops here. Enough already.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

who? names?
    also, in which thread was your info posted?

/curious

23. Bells Staff Member

/Slap..

PM him and ask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.