The Aquatic ape

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sock puppet path, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

heh
    prattle on, arthur!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

The difference is we evolved in a very hot climate and yet we have babies with more fat than seals.

Arthur

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Does this consideration have anything to do with the thread you started asking people to take a survey on how many times they bathe or shower? I think bathing is more a function of being socially acceptable to others and that does promote comfort doesn't it? I think if you want a more meaningful survey, you will redo it in context to how often the responder goes out in public or has visitors at his residence. I for one would never leave the house without a shower and if I invite people over, you bet. But if I'm not going anywhere, exercising or expecting any company, I might skip the shower and not think anything of it.

I also think if humans had an aquatic past our skin wouldn't react the way it does when we stay immersed in water for more than a couple of hours.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Ah I think there was several years of ice ages in the arrow of time when mammals began to proliferate. Do seals have hair ? I think you categorized them in a specific grouping at the beginning of the thread

8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Yeah buddy I sparked that one . Funny how you can control thought if you know what buttons to push . The Puppet Master Mekigal !!! I use pre- language . A form of language created in Zimbabwe 50,000 years ago . I rediscovered it this morning . I have not taken a bath for 4 days now and I smell a little bit like roses , but I am comfortable. I will shower this evening before I go play with the band . MY wife wants a date too so I will be killing 2 birds if you know what I mean . We all must sacrifice at some point if we want to get what we need

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What instrument?

10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Guitar , my first instrument was piano when I was about 5 then Violin when I was 8 then flute when I was 10, but I didn't get excited until I picked up the harmonica at 12 . That changed my life . But when I was 14 I went to my first dance and there was this amazing Guitar player with the sweetest of sounds I had ever heard coming out of an amp with major sustain . A one armed Guitar player I might add and the sound was better than any 2 armed guitar players I ever heard. Kind of like Jango Reinhardt with his 2 finger pioneering Jazz style was . So I picked up the Guitar the very next day . Guitar is the only instrument I am proficient at . I am famous for my harmonica work of my youth though and the memories are embedded in peoples minds still to this day . I think I should have been a Fiddle player though as my family brought the instrument to German Town Philadelphia back in 1709 and all my fathers played violin up to Me. Charley Daniels took it from Me at the cross roads though. I am going to get you Charley if you are listening. Go pound a nail in Haiti . That was for Charley Sheen , sorry off track . You know how dyslexic minds wonder

11. Gustav Banned Banned

i think you are awesome!

/smile

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

O.K. here is a joke for this thread and you have to be more than a child to understand it . Sorry Charley ! Chicken of the sea

13. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Thanx!! I just want to be loved

14. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

Quite a few scientists feel there is an aquatic period in the evolutionary past of humans.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

based on common sense, I would support the insulation theory. The transition from a womb at body temperature to an outside environment is a "shock" to the newborn system - hence the use of temperature controlled incubators for preemies that lack the fat deposition of the final months of gestation. Besides, the primary function of BAT is temperature regulation through thermogenesis, unlike WAT, BAT is almost completely converted to heat and not to products which can be further utilised for energy - the quote mentions subcutaneous fat but BAT is distributed internally as well.

see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1271341/pdf/janat00320-0042.pdf

There are some researchers who want to explore the notion of increasing BAT to regulate energy by converting fat to heat but I think that notion is metabolically unsound

See: http://physiologyonline.physiology.org/content/19/2/67.full

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  16. Purple Ledbetter Registered Member

What the heck? Is this, like, a Nevermind album cover remake?

17. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I don't doubt that . From what I understand all land animals crawled out of a shallow sea and we are after all mainly water bags . I think water got bags and crawled out of the water. Of course there are a few more elements involved

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yes, as the answers to the poll (and others I linked to) it is a pretty much universal trait that humans bathe very regularly, and rarely go long without bathing, something no other primate does.

Try going without bathing, I think you will find that it is not an option.

Semi-aquatic past, meaning we lived along the shore and spent a lot of time in the water, but we were never aquatic to the extent say an otter or seal is. I used to dive a lot and while doing so I've stayed in the water for many hours at a time (combination of snorkling and diving) and never noticed any change except the wrinkling to my fingertips and soles of my feet, a change which makes you able to walk more confidently on slippery rocks and reliably pick up wet objects. In my pool it would not be unusual for people to spend entire afternoons in the pool, with lounge chairs that floated and all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

From what I can tell there is no reason we can't stay in the water for hours every day for our entire life, indeed my personal experience is that I've found regular swimming in salt water and good skin health tend to go hand in hand.

http://www.e-healtharticles.com/Detailed/2178.html

Conversely you want to discover what really sucks, like a nasty skin fungus, try not bathing for a week or so.

Arthur

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

We didn't move out of the warm areas though until we could make clothes.

Arthur

20. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yes, but this is as one particular large fish swims upstream in large numbers and in shallow streams, so neither the bears nor the wolves are doing any swimming to catch these fish.

Big difference.

Arthur

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Okay, makes more sense now. However I think people not used to bathing, don't miss it much. Take the middle ages when more than 2 baths per year was considered an extravagant waste of water. Also some places taking a bath could make you dirtier than you were before.

I just shutter thinking about what it must have been like living in that society.:runaway::shake:

uke:

22. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Try not bathing for more than a week.

If you aren't ready to pull your hair out I'll be quite surprised.

Arthur

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah! But we grew up that way. Can you actually say you would feel that way if you grew up not bathing regularly and water was a scarce commodity.