The Aquatic ape

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sock puppet path, Apr 12, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The bodies of water in Africa would not have been good places to swim, but our species did very well on the coasts.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

I agree with the premise of coming from the water. Water World was an excellent movies and humans had gills behind their ears, makes sense to me now.

Seems like we got the water thing out of us as far as bathing though. Most people take showers so it is much different than immersing yourself in water. However, humans do like the water a hell of a lot more than other non-water creatures.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Why do we need to bath? Maybe, we learned that personal hygiene prolonged our life span. Why are we attracted to water? Maybe, because it covers 70.9% of the Earth, is vital for all known life forms, and has many other useful properties.
    Supposedly, the pelvis had enough time to develop skeleton changes during this period, but we didn’t have enough time to develop gills, flippers, or shorter legs, but instead our legs and arms grew longer?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I don't think you ever owned a lab then . my gray schnauzer Jack will do anything to get in water . Funny because my other black schnauzer hates water with a passion . If I even go to the bathroom Jack is right there trying to jump in the tub whining at the same time . I know what he wants . It drives Me crazy . You want a water Schnauzer cheap

8. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

I do own a lab. In his younger days he liked swimming in lakes and rivers, but never for very long. We usually stayed in the water longer than he ever wanted to.

9. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I have seen golden retrievers stand in the water all day and when I was in North Bend Washington last year we hiked up to this lake people take there dogs and you would not believe it . Dogs in the water every where . Some stayed on the beach and others the owners would have to swim out and get there dogs . Of course jack stayed in the water the whole time we were there and Baxter the black dog would not go with in 3 ft. of the water . I was mean and splashed him and he ran off up into the woods , He came back though . Shit . Want a black Schnauzer cheap !!!

10. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Our homind ancestors were probably not big on statisics so they wouldn't be aware of such a factor, but evolution works regardless and somewhere along the path to us, there came a time when those who didn't bathe regularly didn't attract mates.

Which is pretty much the same as it is today.

We bathe because we itch like crazy and smell like hell if we don't.

Don't believe me?

Go a week without bathing and report back on how you feel.

Guess what?

I know you won't take me up on that.

Why?

Because there is NO WAY you will go a week without bathing because you know for certain that after three or four days of not bathing you are going to throw in the towel and jump in the shower.

Indeed, I think it would be rare to find someone who routinely goes more than three or four days without bathing.

I've got a poll going and it, like other similar polls on the internet, leans heavily towards people bathing once a day, and a lot of us say we bathe more than once a day in the summer.

Why?

Because what smells BAD is evolutionary and BO is universally a bad smell and bathing gets rid of it.

That fact is also true for ALL land animals, but they don't bathe regularly.

11. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Your really sold on this . When do you think ape-humans were Aquatic. Do you think it was during a warm period ? Maybe we crawled out of the sea and didn't go back like dolphins did? Maybe we are distant cousins? Except they went back to sea . That would be a long time ago . Maybe before Pangaea existed ?

12. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Unlike some theories, I don't believe water played a significant role in our becoming bipedal.

Indeed, I suspect it would have been a much more recent period.

I also suspect it had a lot of impact on us over a short evolutionalry period of time, as dramatic changes in environment can do.

I suspect that it was very much related to our use of language to convey specific information, since one can not see, at a distance/angle what is underwater, so just making noises, like chimps do and which works when all can see what the other chimp can see is no longer effective in an aquatic setting. Specific sounds that denote Fish vs Shark would have great evolutionary value to proto humans.

I suspect that it was related to our first technology, weaving, an out growth of the somewhat woven nests that chimps make.

I suspect some of these discarded nests became some of the first primative traps and thus slightly more purposeful weaving was related to our use of primitive nets/traps to catch fish during tidal changes.

I suspect that it was these two that allowed us to no longer be nomadic and follow the seasons as we had the tides to bring us new food every day.

I suspect it was the breaking open of heavy shell clams with flint nodules that exposed us to the advantages of a sharp edge, and the fact that we were no longer nomadic to eventually learn to make them for a purpose.

I suspect that it was related to our first use of fire (only a shore dwelling animal would not be overly afraid of a long burning fire started by lightning in a pile of brush at a river mouth)

I suspect it was this very safe and non-nomadic period that allowed the development of the baby to progress, pushing the mother to the absolute limits of internal development and then following it up with years of being helpless and requiring near constant care and supervision and having the luxury of crying for hours and not worrying about predators using that cry as a dinner bell.

I suspect that the natural tanning effect of animal skins by salt water along with our basic weaving skills and sharp flints led to the first primitive clothing.

But I could be wrong about any or all of it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  13. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Baby fat is…
    Brown adipose tissue (BAT) or brown fat is one of two types of fat or adipose tissue (the other being white adipose tissue) found in mammals. It is especially abundant in newborns and in hibernating mammals.[1] Its primary function is to generate body heat in animals or newborns that do not shiver. In contrast to white adipocytes (fat cells), which contain a single lipid droplet, brown adipocytes contain numerous smaller droplets and a much higher number of mitochondria, which contain iron and make it brown.[2] Brown fat also contains more capillaries than white fat, since it has a greater need for oxygen than most tissues.”-wikipedia

14. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Yup, but even so it is NOT found in other primates.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Well, like some of the critics point out, you have to be careful with convergent evolution. I admit that the diving reflex, and swimming reflex in babies is intriguing, but humans aren’t the only non-aquatic mammals that have it. Me-Ki-Gal pointed out that dogs love water, as well. They also have the mammalian diving reflex. We just don’t have a full understanding of it, yet.

“When the face is submerged, receptors that are sensitive to cold within the nasal cavity and other areas of the face supplied by cranial nerve V (trigeminal) relay the information to the brain and then innervate cranial nerve X, which is part of the autonomic nervous system. This causes bradycardia and peripheral vasoconstriction. Blood is removed from the limbs and all organs but the heart and the brain, creating a heart-brain circuit and allowing the mammal to conserve oxygen.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_reflexes

16. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

The issue for our evolution though only has to do with the differences between us and our nearest ancestors.

Fat babies that could swim had an advantage.

Babies that cry is an advantage.

Babies that take forever to mature was an advantage.

The diving reflex had an advantage.

Long head hair had an advantage.

Oily skin had an advantage.

etc etc

Some dog breeds do, but their ancestors don't seek it out nor hunt for food beyond the very shallow shore.

Unaware though that Dogs have the mammalian diving reflex. Source?

Arthur

17. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I got it from here but it's all over. Google is your friend...

18. Gustav Banned Banned

perhaps true to a minor extent

reading a little bit further....

..a somewhat more plausible explanation?

19. Gustav Banned Banned

humans have a predisposition for sucking cock

suck reflex

Rooting helps the baby become ready to suck. When the roof of the baby's mouth is touched, the baby will begin to suck. This reflex does not begin until about the 32nd week of pregnancy and is not fully developed until about 36 weeks. Premature babies may have a weak or immature sucking ability because of this. Babies also have a hand-to-mouth reflex that goes with rooting and sucking and may suck on fingers or hands.

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Energy storage . I can can go with that one . It is always about the store house when it comes to human activity

21. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You mean sucking off the tit of the cow . We got Milk

22. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Thanks,

While the author of your text examines what MIGHT be the reason for the fat, what is true is:

And

Now given the fact that babies can swim, have the diving reflex and no hair to weigh them down, the use of the fat for bouyancy is also a reasonable interpretation.

But fat makes it difficult to dive, and sure enough, as the baby matures the fat goes away and kids, like their parents, can dive for food.

Arthur

23. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

There is a cross science here . Survival in cold weather climates . In survival training we learn to intake more fat in our diet . Because it is believe humans burn more fat in cold weather . The peoples of the north ( Like Alaska ) adapt to the environment because of there high fat diet. Animal fat from fish , whales and what have you . Bear got a lot of fat too . Never ate any but Me friends have and they say bears have lots of fat in the meat