The Anthropic Principle

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

“As we look out into the Universe and identify the many accidents of physics and astronomy that have worked together to our benefit, it almost seems as if the Universe must in some sense have known that we were coming.” -Freeman Dyson

Is this true iyo? One is certainly struck by all the seeming accomodations that have been made for our entrance into this universe. Just today it occurred to me how "fortunate" it is we have this atmospheric skin around our planet that burns up most meteors before they strike earth. Then again, if we DIDN'T have this protection would we even be here to marvel about it? I'm not suggesting anything so daft as creationism here. I'm content only to rule out the nagging possiibility that we are embedded inside some kind of Matrix that was put together for us by..well who knows?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think that means what you think it means. Just the opposite. It explains why conditions on Earth are so suitable for life. It's because if it weren't suitable (like most of the rest of the universe) we wouldn't be here to observe it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You're right. The weak AP takes that position whereas the strong AP asserts that consciousness was somehow a necessary outcome of the Universe. What I'm referring to is the problem AP attempts to explain: the seeming fine-tunedness of various cosmic parameters for the later emergence of conscious lifeforms.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm convinced the fine-tuning concept is a myth.

8. elte Valued Senior Member

I think a truer way to see it is that there were as many universes as it took until chance enabled one to come about that we could evolve somewhere inside of.

9. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"...Some proponents of the anthropic principle reason that it explains why the Universe has the age and the fundamental physical constants necessary to accommodate conscious life. As a result, they believe it is unremarkable that the universe's fundamental constants happen to fall within the narrow range thought to be compatible with life...."

Well, yes, a burned forest needs a condition for fire. But what does that mean? For instance, if a cosmos with only a single star and one planet were somehow possible, and the latter happened to evolve life and the addition of conscious life, then on the basis of that single example it might likewise seem unremarkable to its inhabitants ("Oh, it's just a conventional attribute of planets that they produce us."). But if their research eventually concluded that other versions of star/planet systems were possible (in theory) that would not produce such entities, and these "barren" worlds might even be the vast majority rather the rule, then it starts appearing like an incredible stroke of luck. The only existing "universe" (a single star and its planet) just happening to possess the "right circumstances" to nurture biological processes over the long haul.

In our cosmos, of course, the problem is remedied by the Earth being one grain of sand in a beachful of it, allowing its "uniqueness" to be more likely and truly unremarkable. However, we'd be faced with a similar oddity raised up to another level -- if other universes are possible with different laws that would have little or no chance of yielding life / consciousness (at least of this kind) anywhere in them. Inviting similar remedy that those "other nomological systems" do not (or have not) exist[ed] as mere potential, theory, or thought experiment (nominally). I.E., a more crowded situation.

DENNIS OVERBYE: . . . Steven Weinstein, a philosopher of science at the University of Waterloo, in Ontario, termed the phrase “law of nature” as “a kind of honorific” bestowed on principles that seem suitably general, useful and deep. How general and deep the laws really are, he said, is partly up to nature and partly up to us, since we are the ones who have to use them.

But perhaps, as Dr. Davies complains, Plato is really dead and there are no timeless laws or truths. A handful of poet-physicists harkening for more contingent nonabsolutist laws not engraved in stone have tried to come up with prescriptions for what John Wheeler, a physicist from Princeton and the University of Texas in Austin, called “law without law.”

As one example, Lee Smolin, a physicist at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, has invented a theory in which the laws of nature change with time. It envisions universes nested like Russian dolls inside black holes, which are spawned with slightly different characteristics each time around. But his theory lacks a meta law that would prescribe how and why the laws change from generation to generation.

Holger Bech Nielsen, a Danish physicist at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and one of the early pioneers of string theory, has for a long time pursued a project he calls Random Dynamics, which tries to show how the laws of physics could evolve naturally from a more general notion he calls “world machinery.”

On his Web site, Random Dynamics, he writes, “The ambition of Random Dynamics is to ‘derive’ all the known physical laws as an almost unavoidable consequence of a random fundamental ‘world machinery.’”

Dr. Wheeler has suggested that the laws of nature could emerge “higgledy-piggledy” from primordial chaos, perhaps as a result of quantum uncertainty. It’s a notion known as “it from bit.” Following that logic, some physicists have suggested we should be looking not so much for the ultimate law as for the ultimate program.

Anton Zeilinger, a physicist and quantum trickster at the University of Vienna, and a fan of Dr. Wheeler’s idea, has speculated that reality is ultimately composed of information. He said recently that he suspected the universe was fundamentally unpredictable.

I love this idea of intrinsic randomness much for the same reason that I love the idea of natural selection in biology, because it and only it ensures that every possibility will be tried, every circumstance tested, every niche inhabited, every escape hatch explored. It’s a prescription for novelty, and what more could you ask for if you want to hatch a fecund universe?

But too much fecundity can be a problem. Einstein hoped that the universe was unique: given a few deep principles, there would be only one consistent theory. So far Einstein’s dream has not been fulfilled. Cosmologists and physicists have recently found themselves confronted by the idea of the multiverse, with zillions of universes, each with different laws, occupying a vast realm known in the trade as the landscape.

In this case there is meta law — one law or equation, perhaps printable on a T-shirt — to rule them all. This prospective lord of the laws would be string theory, the alleged theory of everything, which apparently has 10500 solutions. Call it Einstein’s nightmare.

But it is soon for any Einsteinian to throw in his or her hand. Since cosmologists don’t know how the universe came into being, or even have a convincing theory, they have no way of addressing the conundrum of where the laws of nature come from or whether those laws are unique and inevitable or flaky as a leaf in the wind.

These kinds of speculation are fun, but they are not science, yet. “Philosophy of science is about as useful to scientists as ornithology is to birds,” goes the saying attributed to Richard Feynman, the late Caltech Nobelist, and repeated by Dr. Weinberg.

Maybe both alternatives — Plato’s eternal stone tablet and Dr. Wheeler’s higgledy-piggledy process — will somehow turn out to be true. The dichotomy between forever and emergent might turn out to be as false eventually as the dichotomy between waves and particles as a description of light. Who knows?

The law of no law, of course, is still a law.
    --Laws of Nature, Source Unknown; NYT, December 18, 2007

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No, it explains why conditions on Earth are so suitable for life as we know it.

I have coined the term "human hubris" to describe our view of the universe as having miraculously developed in exactly the way necessary to create the conditions on this one planet that were favorable for the carbon-based lifeforms that populate it, one branch of which ultimately evolved into us.

We now know that planets are not rare and that it's not unreasonable to expect that as we develop better means of detecting them, we'll come across one that could support carbon-and-water-based lifeforms more-or-less similar to the ones on this planet.

What we don't know is how many other planetary conditions could support and evolve... um... "things" that are not similar to the lifeforms on Earth and perhaps don't even have the majority of the characteristics that we use to define life (metabolism, growth, reproduction, etc.), but nonetheless on closer examination will seem to deserve to be called "alive -- and how many planets have those conditions.

Perhaps the universe is full of... um... "things" that satisfy only the most basic definition of "life": a local reversal of entropy.

I think you're a little behind the information curve if you're still certain that "most of the rest of the universe" couldn't possibly support life

And I also think you've presented a classic example of human hubris when you say that a planet that's not suitable for the six kinds of lifeforms that exist on Earth (bacteria, archaea, algae, fungi, plants and animals) couldn't possibly be suitable for some other kind of lifeforms that we can't imagine.

Even science fiction writers tend to invent lifeforms on other planets that we would immediately recognize as lifeforms. But they have an excuse: it's fiction. In reality, human astronauts might stomp all over a planet for decades before figuring out that the stuff they've been stomping on is alive.

Religions, of course, take the trophy for the greatest level of human hubris. They think God spends all of his time watching and meddling in the affairs of this one planet and its dominant species, and the whole rest of the universe is simply a backdrop for this little experiment.

11. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

I like the way Douglas Adams put it in his story of the puddle of water...

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

It's similar to the argument from incredulity that so many things had to be just so, and happen most fortunately for us to be here, when, in fact the chances we are here are 100%, certainty. The Universe was not designed for us, we evolved to fit in a certain subset of the various conditions contained therein, a very small and fragile subset. If the two meteors that were in the news had switched trajectories we and nearly everything on Earth might be dying as we speak. By fortuitous circumstance we exist, and we may be the first species on our planet capable of surviving the inevitable catastrophic event that has happened over and over in the history of life on Earth.

Grumpy

12. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Winning the lotto looks to be lopsidedly beneficial until you count all the losers. Same with planets and stars.

13. wellwisher Banned Banned

It has to do with unconscious projection, where the structure of the unconscious mind becomes conscious by being reflected outside ourselves. Since both result in the same structuring, and we reverse cause and effect, both appear to be closely tied.

For example, in ancient times, people saw gods in nature. This projection comes from the right brain which has integrated observations. It provides a system by which nature now seems to be integrated to the left brain. Now nature appears to act so well within the realm of expectations. This is still done today. I generate a lot of ideas to show how easy it would be to use a different projection some of which integrate much better than the specialty theories that are restricted to only one specialty.

14. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Human beings evolved here on Earth, and for that reason are well adapted to the conditions here. So some have suggested that the Earth must have been designed so as to be our home, with temperatures conducive to our survival, water to drink, breathable air and so on. Our garden of eden.

Of course, if living beings with very different biochemistries evolved in the methane atmospheres of more distant planets, they will probably be quite comfortable in physical conditions that would be instantly deadly to humans. They might have even decided that all the cold and methane and absence of poisonous oxygen are the result of design.

I think that the anthropic arguments are just the most recent contemporary variants on the traditional theistic design arguments.

The new twist seems to be the claim that not only are planetary science and chemistry fine-tuned for our human pleasure, all of the universe's constants are fine-tuned to make our sort of material world possible.

My own response is that we will still have a situation where no matter what the laws and constants of physics happen to be, if it's possible for stable and functional form and structure to exist in those conditions (however alien those conditions, forms and structures might seem to us here in this universe), and if conscious beings then evolved in that universe, then those beings might imagine that their perhaps quite bizarre universe had been designed expressly for them, because they are so well adapted to it and feel so comfortable in it.

The crucial and often implicit premise in these anthropic arguments seems to be that no universe is even conceivably possible unless it's precisely our existing universe. The only cosmic scene in which form, order and function can possibly arise is precisely this one. I don't know how the anthropists could possibly know that and to me the premise seems unlikely by its very nature.

We've scarcely begun to understand the physics and ontology of our own universe. I see nothing that justifies our announcing any broad sweeping (and dismissive) conclusions about the nature of any and all alternative universes.

Once we have opened the door to imagining physics being different, we have no way that I can see of predicting what those alternative physical principles must be. Just plugging different constants into what we currently believe are this universe's laws of physics doesn't even start to address what might be possible if the laws of physics were themselves different. There certainly doesn't seem to be any justification for our announcing the impossibility of functional life-analogues (however alien they are to our expectations) possibly evolving in unknown conditions in alternative universes, when we haven't even established the bounds and limits of what's possible here in this universe that we've started to know a little about.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I love that other Adams fellow, Richard, author of Watership Down. He knows that dogs talk.

If people insist on using the word "design" in regard to science, it would make slightly more sense to say that humans were designed for the conditions on Earth, rather than vice versa. This way even a theist would leave open the possibility that his imaginary deity created other kinds of lifeforms on other planets.

Oh but wait, how then would Jesus be able to appear to those poor folks? They'd have to have their own prophet with gills and five legs and a body temperature of minus forty, and that would be blasphemy.

The religionists are clever enough to adapt to the times and re-frame their arguments in contemporary terms. Unfortunately they're not clever enough to see the lunacy in their beliefs.

It's certainly fine-tuned to make the universe itself possible. As I understand it, if any of the universal constants, such as Avogadro's number or the speed of light, were off by just a gazillionth of a percentage point, the Big Bang would have been impossible. To accept the assertions of today's cosmologists, that would mean that the space-time continuum itself would not exist, nor any of the laws of nature. The word "nothing" takes on a whole new meaning.

And that's the point: that stable and functional form and structure (not just DNA-based life and asteroid belts) are a fortuitous byproduct of the laws and constants of physics being just so.

I think the cosmologists have been working on that and have come to the conclusion that so far there doesn't seem to be any other way for a universe to exist at all, much less to be similar to ours. I'm sure they don't feel comfortable with that (not being anthropocentric types themselves) and are working overtime to prove themselves wrong.

The scientists are not making those announcements, even if they have a scary hunch that they might turn out to be correct after all.

It is the religionists, and if there's one thing that has always been true about religion, it can be summed up in one word: antiscience. The fact that so many Americans buy into these arguments--without necessary claiming to be religious--is just a sad observation that America is way behind the rest of the Western world in freeing itself from the bounds of religion.

16. Mazulu Banned Banned

The universe was created by spirit. How is this possible? The wave-function exists and is part of reality. The wave-function is spirit. The big bang was caused by a quantum fluctuation. Nothing existed before the big bang, except a quantum fluctuation. A quantum fluctuation is a wave function. A wave function is spirit. Therefore, spirit caused the universe to exist.

What spirit is powerful enough to create a whole universe? The Holy Spirit (a.k.a. God).

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Excuse me, but you're tripping over your misuse of the language.
    • The definition of the word "universe" is "everything that exists."
    • We're told that God is an entity with enormous powers, able to create the firmament, flood the planet, bring people back from death, etc. It's inconceivable that these things could be done by someone or something that does not exist. Therefore, if God actually did these things, then he obviously must exist.
    • Therefore, God is part of "everything that exists."
    • In other words, God is part of the universe.
    • Therefore, if God created the universe, he has to have created himself.
    • This is impossible. It's a bonehead example of the Fallacy of Recursion, which we all learned to recognize and laugh at in our first-year philosophy class.
    • Therefore, God did not create the universe, even if he does happen to exist.
    Please feel free to come back and try again after you've finished your first year of college.

18. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Carl Sagan already coined the term carbon chauvinism to express the same thing more succinctly, as all hubris we know is necessarily human.

19. Mazulu Banned Banned

What created the big bang? Nothingness? Magic?
    Scientists say: we don't know.
    Theologians say: God.
    Atheists say: Science doesn't know, but most definitely not God.

My answer is: spirit. Wave functions are the invisible, impossible to detect and mysterious parts of reality that science is vaguely aware of. Wave-functions are ubiquitous, all pervasive, and are part of every quantum system, including empty space itself. Spirit is
    What is important here is that quantum systems (spirit) would have preceded the big bang. The big bang is said to have been a quantum event. The only way that is possible is if quantum systems existed before the big bang. If so, then we are using different words to say the same thing. Out of respect, the only spirit powerful enough to create the big bang (and create the universe) is the Holy spirit (aka God, aka the Creator). Spirit (wave-functions) are just a back door into our quantum (un-classical) universe.

20. Mazulu Banned Banned

It is a miracle that anything exists at all. A good algorithm (laws of physics) should in no way be confused with the ability to dictate, to create, a law of nature. Mathematical descriptions are nice, observations are good, but it takes a mighty and majestic Creator of the universe(s) to assign physics constants to the invisible fingers that implement nature.

I would call it atheist chauvinism.

21. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

Mazulu

Algorithms do not create, they describe what has already come into existence. Unfortunately for those still laboring under the god delusion the Universe's default position is no god(nor any other phenomena that violates physical principles). Physical laws were created when the Universe began. Mathematics does not create any law, it only quantifies them.

What existed before the Big Bang is unavailable to us from within the Universe. It, however, was not nothing, it is just unknown. Scientists are correct to say "We don't know", theologians are deluded to think they do. And Atheists are just recognizing the fact that there is no evidence in this Universe for any of the concepts of gods man has made up, so far. Atheists(at least the intelligent ones)do not claim there is no god, nor any possibility of his/her/it's existence. All Atheists say is they do not accept any of the concepts of gods they have been exposed to. We do not "believe" there are no gods, it is not possible to know if there is a legitimate god hidden in this vast Universe, but the evidence so far says there isn't one(or, rather, no event so far seen in this Universe REQUIRES a being or entity to exist that can violate Nature's laws).

Grumpy

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL @ Mazola worshipping an unpredictable wave function. My what the religionists won't do to preserve their pet fantasy!

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why do you keep using the word "created"? That automatically biases the discussion toward your point of view. It's a dishonest and dishonorable way to argue. Please stop!

Does a tree create a fruit? Do the sun and the moon create tides? Does a cloud create rain? No! These are simply manifestations of the way reality works.

Your definition of "spirit" limits it only to things that are alive. There was no life at the moment of the Big Bang.

Uh... A semantic argument invariably ensues when the phrase "before the Big Bang" is written, but to assume for the sake of the argument that it is a meaningful phrase, there were certainly no wave-functions in the vast empty space that preceded the Big Bang. It was a space-time continuum with no contents: no matter, no energy, therefore no waves (again, accepting the assumption that there actually was anything, even a space-time continuum, before the Big Bang).

Bullshit! The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that entropy only tends to increase over time. Spatially and temporally local reversals of entropy are not only allowed, but there is no limit on their size. The Big Bang can be seen as nothing more or less than a reversal of entropy that is local both spatially and temporally. Sure, it seems like a rather large entropy reversal to us, but how the hell would we know? We don't have any others to compare it against. For all we know, there may have been thousands of other big bangs, some of which make ours look like a snail fart, but they happened so long ago and so far away that we have no way of detecting their fleeting existence.

You need to review your second-year university physics textbook. You're way over your head.

A lot of things have been said about the Big Bang. They can't all be true, and it's still possible that we haven't come close to the right answer so none of them are true.

That right there discredits this explanation in the eyes of a good many cosmologists. They insist that there was nothing before the Big Bang, because the space-time continuum itself did not exist. In this model, the universe is only as old as the matter and energy that now exists, roughly 13 billion years old. In this model, the phrase "before the Big Bang" is invalid and meaningless, exactly like the phrase "colder than absolute zero" or "faster than c."

This does not quite invalidate my own hypothesis. (Which, I stress, is offered only for inspiration and amusement. I am not a physicist. I dropped out of the math-and-physics program after my third year and got a degree in accounting instead--which I also abandoned and parlayed into a career in software engineering.) If the universe is the manifestation of a temporally and spatially local reversal of entropy, I see no reason why said reversal could not have occurred at the very moment when said universe sprang into existence.

You have cleverly guided the argument into your territory by insisting on using the word "create," which is a transitive verb and therefore grammatically requires the existence of a creator. My own description of the Big Bang, above, was "the universe sprang into existence." This requires only that the universe obey the natural laws, such as the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Not the supernatural laws that you cite disingenuously by assuming the existence of an invisible, illogical supernatural universe from which spirits and fantastic creatures emerge at irregular intervals to whimsically (and often petulantly) perturb the behavior of the natural universe.

As I pointed out above, a good many scientists say that the phrase "before the Big Bang" is illogical and meaningless, because the Big Bang did not just result in the existence of the universe, but also of all the laws of nature, and the space-time continuum itself. In other words, there was nowhere for a universe to be!

In my own Second Law-based model, I suggest, just to make the discussion easier, that we graph time on a log scale rather than linear. This would put the Big Bang at minus infinity. So the phrase "before the Big Bang" truly does become meaningless. It also gives the cosmologists some breathing room, because they're having trouble analyzing the events during those first few yoctoseconds: they occurred too fast. Spreading those yoctoseconds out into six miles of graph paper will make their job easier.

I can only speak for this one atheist, but I dismiss these claims by citing the Rule of Laplace: Extraordinary assertions must be supported by extraordinary evidence before we are obliged to treat them with respect.

Without the Rule of Laplace (and a couple of other important components of the scientific method, such as the principle that we are never required to prove a negative), the finite resources of science would be dissipated hopelessly in the respectful examination of every bit of crackpottery that is brought to the gates of the Academy.

Religion = crackpottery. There's no other way to put it.