THC's effect on memory

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jnc1110, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Phssthpok Registered Member

Of course not, I don't recommend it to anybody.

I personally wouldn't call it "fact" that it seems to do little harm; rather I'd say the evidence supports the notion that it does little harm.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I forgot what I was going to say.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well i woud for known medical/health reasons... i supose you woud agree wit that... but i woudnt recomend that sombody try it for a while to see if they mite benifit from it somhow.!!!

But over-all... why do you not recomend that people use it.???

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Phssthpok Registered Member

I had a friend who died of cancer, and we used it to help him maintain appetite. It worked well, but didn't dull the pain; in fact it made him focus on it. But combined with his IV drip of morphine, he was in a good place.

But I have standing in my community and would never recommend a drug to anyone, it's the sort of thing that could bite a person in the ass no matter how well-meaning they were.

I suppose we'll see what happens when my daughter gets old enough to really question me about my past. Might be a different story then, but whatever I tell her I'm sure to look hypocritical.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I got a feelin you wont look hypocritical to her... i got a feelin you will say/do the rite thang an her love respect an admiraton for you will continue on.!!!

9. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I was gonna get a job, but then I got high...

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

In case you're wondering, I'm all for marijuana. The same people who are against it have no probs with alcohol or tobacco.

Then again, I think LSD, Coke, and all the rest of the "BAD" drugs should be decriminalized.

If you're gunned down by a cop because you were f-ed up, that's just too bad for you, isn't it?

11. Phssthpok Registered Member

*Officer approaches window*

Can I help you officer?

*cop looks dazedly at hot dog on dashboard*

"Hey... are you gonna eat that?"

12. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Now there's a good cop!

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Which coms firs... an unwilliness to work... or pot... who knows.???

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Who wodda guessed :shrug:

Id like to see that hapen also... as long as true info. about the effects of drugs is made avalable to the general public.!!!

Good pont.!!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The problem with the question: "Does pot smoking leave any lasting effects?" is that the people that answer don't necessarily know the answer.

You see it's proven without shadow of a doubt that people that smoke pot will be defensive of their past time, so much so that it actually blinds them from what sort of hold their "habit" has taken of them.

"Does it leave a lasting effect?"... If the substance is abused it can cause physical damage, after all you're forcing your brain to produce chemicals beyond their natural level, the hit you get (The high) is actually down to your body being poisoned. The poison won't kill you but if use for extended periods, it will cause physical damage. (Much like Alcohol can cause damage or any other drug for that matter)

Obviously true pot heads will never see the damage because they'll be in too much of a haze to ever notice. You'll only truly notice if you quit using pot for a long duration (At least 3 months) The reason for this is because when you change the chemistry productive levels of your body, you have to imagine it a bit like a muscle in the sense that when it's used it grows accustomed to dealing with a higher level of activity, it responds by adapting to produce that higher level of chemistry. (Much like a muscle would become more defined through lifting weights)

This is why a person has the likelihood of suffering a psychotic episode (And even suffer schizophrenia) from over use. Where the body has adapted to create the chemical cocktail without even having pot present.

Pot is a hazard if not understood properly, much like Caffeine or nicotine can be and more visibly alcohol. If you don't pay attention and don't take care (like sitting there 5 days straight doing pipes and bongs), then you will likely suffer the consequences.

16. Phssthpok Registered Member

You had me in general agreement with a minor quibble over the definition of 'poisoned', up until this point.

Hasty generalization combined with the 'No True Pot Head' fallacy.

What?

I have to imagine what... what?

You crammed a lot of just-plain wrong into two sentences there. Pot use cannot cause schizophrenia. Would you please cite a credible source for 'likelihood of suffering a psychotic episode'?

To this I give my provisional assent.

17. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I was going to look up the side effects for pharmacutical medicine vs marijuana on certain conditions but I'd rather not just know this WEED IS ILLEGEAL because the goverment wants the public to USE THERE DRUG its just mass profiteering

18. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Look, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much of a pothead you are, or used to be, but how much brain you had from the beginning. I used to smoke regularly till recently...I never had any particular issues memorising stuff that I deemed important, or that I needed to know. Neither did my "pothead" friends. Most of them are actually...really really smart, and are in University now, and are doing really good. They still smoke pot.

And yeah, it's not a mystery that smoking is bad, and it's also not a mystery that drugs are to some point poisonous from which you actually get the high. The least I'd worry about is memory insufficiency, or loss of intelligence. What I would worry about is...psychosis, paranoia and similar neurological/psychological issues to which some people with a family history of neurological/psychological issues are more prone to get it. A regular THC consumption could trigger it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  19. jnc1110 Registered Senior Member

Even though it has only been close to a month since my last time smoking, I can already tell a difference in my energy levels. Quite possibly all the THC has metabolized. Overall, Stryder, you make good points (it seems more factional than opinionated).

Oh, well maybe if you took a puff back in the day and got some creativity going on you could have dreamed up a better (and more scientific) job than what you have now. Most of the busy bodies I know (like you) are potheads because they have nothing to lose and their life sucks. Hopefully you don't fit that bill and you're not just lying because you know the internet saves everything.

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes that coud be.!!!

Glad youv'e been off the weed a while... but i suspect it coud take up to a year to get used to you'r (hopfuly good) new lifestyle an can then be a mor mellow fellow... eh

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Woud you like to be frinds in the meantime.???

21. Not my puppy Registered Senior Member

This is a good point. My friend says pot does have the effect of loosening the tongue and releasing inhibitions. Conversation while high often has moments of "did I just say that"? Usually the other person responds like what you said was perfectly normal. Wait, did I just say that?

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The reference of "poisoned" is the technical term for where the effects come from. For instance Aristotle died from Hemlock poisoning, As I'm sure you are away hemlock is poisonous however Aristotle at the time was using it as an Aphrodisiac.

I'm not suggesting Cannabis is a poison in the same way as Hemlock, I'm merely implying that the toxicology build up through constant use is like a poison since it causes Neurological functions to become imbalanced.

Hardly. People that love their cannabis and use it regularly are more than likely to stand up against any complaint about it. In fact if someone is to suggest there is something wrong with it, they soon start to try and upset the findings because their beloved weed is in jeopardy and their chances of decriminalisation becomes even more remote.

I guess you could say I think "pot heads" are those that can't seen the negative side effects, a bit like "Not seeing the forest, for the trees".

My point is that if you quit using cannabis after a lifetime of using it, it will take a while to see notible changes. This is usually due to your body having to find it's chemical equilibrium again since while on a drug it will be unbalanced.

Obviously a wasted attempt at metaphoric's. What I was trying to explain was that when you a drug (any drug) and you use it for a while, your body will adapt. To begin with it might even fight the drug, this is why some drugs require an increase in dosage to combat the body generating "resistance". While other drugs are "habit" forming. The habit I refer to is not the same as biting your nails, the "habit" is where your body becomes "Dependant" and can't go without it.

Cigarette smokers will know of this dependency from Nicotine.

It's known that Cannabis doesn't generate "Dependencies" to this level however when this was publicised I don't think they defined what sort of dependencies they were looking for. If they were to have looked at the chemistry of the brain, they would have likely found that a user would have required a drying out period before their brain chemistry normalised. This would suggest a dependency at a neurological level, if only to keep the bodies chemistry balanced from it's adaptation for resistance.

It's not wrong, it's accurate. Let's say you take a person and you make them stay awake 18hrs+ a day and only give them 6hrs or less sleep per night (The day/night cycle would obviously rotate in and out of sync with the rest of the world). The person would eventually suffer physical problems and mental problems due to the toxic build up from being up so long.

The same can occur from pot, if it's over used without enough time to "recover", then it will cause physical damage and this damage surfaces as psychiatric issues. (Since the areas that are effected are actually the neuron receptors through an increase in dopamine production, it's possible to damage the neuron's so they don't function correctly.)

Incidentally I have seen first hand people that have suffered from their own abuse of the substance. While some like to play the "they obviously have some sort of problem in their family"... Those sorts of arguments are often dreamt up by the pro decriminalisation lobbyists, since such occurrences from their beloved weed would likely stop their process of redemption. (Since after all they just don't want to be classed a criminal for using a drug)

I hope this cleans up where you were hazy.

23. Not my puppy Registered Senior Member

Not completely wasted. I got a chuckle out of it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!