Texting and Driving

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mickmeister, Oct 18, 2011.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It was not rash. I am a thinker.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rather the point I was making by including the question.

You seem possessed of a certain confidence in your ability to handle circumstances of your own provocation. Some might interpret this confidence in a different light?

If you were a horse, some might consider you spirited, lol...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I used to be very much a law abiding person. I still possess no criminal record beyond one speeding ticket. Once upon a time I realized the value of people who tested the limits of personal freedom. You know Bikers, party people, the modern Dionysus of the world. They showed us how far you can go in...what I call "inflicting personality" upon society.

Today I find myself in that group...with some of the most mundane shit getting a person into trouble these days. Fuck it! The baby goes out with the bathwater...the way of Dionysus flows freely through me. I have no dependents, I do not overly matter (save my own immediate family), I decide: I exist as a virus to point out the flaws of a legal system, a logic...a downward path to wisdom I feel society has taken toward weakness and corruption.

Certainly some (women especially for some arcane reason) recognize this "confidence" in me. What people call confidence, I simply believe is a lack of fear.

A horse that is not completely broken I believe ...is what they call spirited? Yes certainly, I would call myself not completely "broken". Starting this year I decided to "Inflict" my personality upon society. I cannot write well, I cannot win an argument with a child...but through actions I think one can point out the ridiculous flaws in modern society with no words at all.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Thank you for a thoughtful and thought provoking reply, nietzschefan. I'll get back to you, but for the nonce my presence is scheduled elsewhere. Later then....

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well obviously they can't do anything but ride, they wear helmets, and gloves.
    On the other hand, they can pull wheelies....

9. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

Most people overestimate their driving skills and their ability to multitask. This leads to people who feel they are okay texting while driving, even though they might well decry the same activity if performed by others.

Good rule of thumb: If you think you are a superior driver, discount your own opinion as biased. If others tell you you're a superior driver, that you can trust more.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This is an intelligent, informed, interesting, relevant, useful post. You must be new here.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

I believe that, or how does stuff like this happen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enkh9A5jdUI

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I don't overestimate myself. I know I'm impaired when texting. I am absolutely not impaired sipping a coffee. Texting drivin me, is better than 80% of drivers in Toronto though.

They can kiss my ass, while they might catch me drinking coffee and driving they will never be able to enforce texting and driving. So if I'm getting a ticket for it, I want to really break the law.

13. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Simply put, you are addicted to drinking coffee in your car!

If it shows that it puts others lives at risk, then don't do it.

We pay a lot of money for our cars. Our cars are almost like our homes, private places that we own and take as ours. Roads are public places, and the moment you put your car on a road - you better respect the safety of people sharing that same privilege.

Build your own road and drive on it, drinking whatever you want. But not on public roads please. Not driving 50km/hr with a piece of metal that ways a ton and can crush any biological form in its path.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Sorry nope. In addition to breaking these trivial attention span laws, because they took my coffee.... I now speed too. I change lanes without signaling. STOP means "Slow to Observe Police". I merge outside solid lines. I flash my lights and warn on coming traffic about speed traps. I will blow thru the red light. I print the traffic act then use it for toilet paper. I go when it's not my turn, at four way stops. I smile as I do so. I don't stop before pulling out of parking lots. I drive while sleep deprived. I Drive while getting a blow job. I drive while sleep deprived and getting a blow job. I drive while sleep deprived, getting a blow job and finger fking the nice lady who is distracting me with a blow job. Then I turn my punk metal to the maximum volume my stereo can do (that means no hands on the wheel as I do that).

(Just kidding....

)

I have a 100% clean record. (one ticket 9 years ago (15kph over) that's surely gone...)

I am not one bit worried about hurting absolutely anyone.

15. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Exactly. The cell phone, even with GPS tracking turned off, can still be tracked by the cell companies. They have logs from the cell towers that record signal strength and time to name a couple. When they pull the same data from three different towers, they can triangulate exactly where you were at a certain time. They can even estimate how fast you were traveling by the time intervals in the logs and the changing cell strength at each time interval. This can further be correlated with the data that is recorded in the vehicle's black box. The black box will tell when and how much pressure was applied to the brakes, the speed you were traveling, and much more.

I am doing a presentation on this exact topic next year at Phreaknic. We had a person in my area last year that had a very bad accident. He was instantly tested for drugs and alcohol. He came up clean on both. That is when they found out he had a cell phone and they did this exact thing. He got charged when they proved he was traveling at a high rate of speed.

16. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

What I would like to know is what's so important that people just have to talk on a cell phone or text while driving? I ride my bicycle and motorcycle most of the time into the office and therefor can't do either. I rarely drive one of my Jeeps, but even when I do, I refuse to do either and it sure doesn't bother me in the least.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Bitches be tryin to call and the phone in the limo's broke.

18. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

LOL......get voice mail.

Personally, I enjoy being aloof from the connected world, plugging in when it suits me and living my own life in real time.

The virtual world makes a great drop box though, in that one can communicate at any hour of the day or night without disturbing another.

Email has worked marvelously for me since I started working graveyards.

I enjoy driving, except when downtown is busy. Why would I want any distractions from a pleasurable activity?

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I didn't even own a cell phone this time last year. I hate them.

They are required to get laid nowadays. Sometimes I am a non-conformist, but not when it comes to this...

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

A cell phone is required for this purpose?
    I'm rather apprehensive of asking why this should be so. It's certainly news to me.

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Cause even 40 year old women will no go out on a date unless there is a huge conversation via text or phone first. And you need to be available or you miss out.

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There must be considerable variance between the male and female perspective, I'm thinking.

My cell phone is strictly for emergencies, like calling BCAA at -40C when the truck tire struck a road hazard and went flat last spring. I keep it turned off and only have to charge it every few weeks.

How do people reach me?

They don't. I find them.