Text messaging as mental illness?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Tiassa, Feb 22, 2009.

1. draqon Banned Banned

geeese Enmos...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sorry dude.. lol

The program started out with a question about you though.. :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Getting a text message every 7 minutes does sound crazy, but the bottom line is that we're just getting old. How many things did we do as kids that seemed crazy to our parents? Every generation interacts with technology in new ways that seem insane to the preceeding generations.

Personally, I'm no great fan of texting, but I do love my cell phone. Here's a funny (and true) story involving my cell phone:

One day I was shopping at Meyer when I suddenly had to take an emergency dump. Generally, I avoid taking a shit in public restrooms if at all possible. But once in a while, there's simply no choice. This was one of those times.

As I made my way into the restroom and entered a stall I noticed there was no toilet paper. Happy I had noticed, I moved on to the next stall. Again, no TP. So I hit the third and final stall and found, once again, no TP. I then ventured out to the papertowel dispenser, no paper towels. By now, the urgency of my situation had reached a head, so I went ahead and took a dump despite the absence of TP.

Having completed the deed, despite my great relief, I was faced with a dilema. I briefly considered using my underwear, but instead decided to call the front desk. So I called information on my cell phone, got the number for the front desk and said, "Is this the Meyer on Illinois road?" The lady said, "Yes it is". I then said, "Well, I'm sitting here in your restroom and there's no toilet paper. Could you have someone send some in?" She hesitated for a moment and said, "Ok". A few minutes later a kid entered the restroom and sheepishly said, "Did someone here call for some toilet paper?" I said, "Right here, dude!" and the guy handed the paper over the top of the stall. Problem solved.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I have to admit I do feel like a grumpy old man whenever a gen y inevitably pisses me off in a myriad of ways. Ya plugged into some gadget at all times is a pissoff for me.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

when my husband was a kid him and his Dad talked on the CB to others a lot. Even in the car, talking to total strangers, not friends.

Nothing has changed but the technology

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Do we think that kids sending thousands of texts have conversations any more meaningful that that transcript though? Is it about talking to someone, or actually conversing?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Most of it would probably be equally meaningful

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!