Text messaging as mental illness?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Tiassa, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

ha because, i have one for my family to call me, one for my friends to call me, and the other 2 for personal use

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why ?
    And why do you have two for personal use rather than one ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

because i dont want to give certain agencies my numbers, and the one for the school has a certain ringtone and that way i know its about my kids staright away, so i answer it, so why not?

i do text every now and then, but i dont consider it a mental illness

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The problem is that 90% of text messages have no real information value. It is mostly teenagers emoticoning back and forth and "really?" and similar stuffs.

Also they have the inability to express themselves in words, speaking thus they use text messages...

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, no one in my family has a cell phone, and Luci has 4.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i'm a strange creature i know already, but its habit

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't know why not, it just seems like a lot of hassle.

Well, that's not the point. No one here says that text messaging is a mental illness. It's about the sheer amount of text messaging that is being done by this girl. Roughly one every seven minutes..

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont text to much, i would much rather call the person and have a conversation,

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

There are adults that live on their cell phones. I saw a guy yesterday on his cell phone while also talking on his blue tooth. And considering how many teeth he was missing, I don't think he was a business deal.

I bet that girl was texting as much as some adults are playing video games or watching TV.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I suppose, but watching TV or playing video games that much isn't normal either.
    We are not talking about doing it for a day, or even a week, it's consistent.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Not normal? I think in the US that much TV watching and game playing is normal.

I'd be interested to know how long that girl has had text messaging capabilities on her phone. Peopel always go over-board when its new and there are no limits.
    Mom needs to step in and say "you're done"

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but it's not normal when that's all you do.

I was kind of assuming she didn't just get it. Otherwise the point of this thread is, well, not really there.

Exactly, but it seems that she is at least condoning it.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No normal for you, but very normal for a teen

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How can it be normal ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Would you allow your kids to text message that much ?

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Not if I'm paying for it.
    But I just see it as her talking to her friends. My Mom was always yelling at me to get off the phone, but she never thought I was mentally ill for being on it.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The thing is: you can TALK on a cell and still drive or walk or cook something, but you can not TEXT and do the same things at the same time, not to mention talking is faster...

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

And when you talk, you can't take it back. When you text, you can edit and change things. And other people don't over hear you.
    I'd rather have people text than yammer away.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

On a plane or bus, sure. While driving, hell no!!!

22. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I have two cell phones, one for work since I'm on call 24/7 and one for personal use. My personal phone has texting, my work phone does email and the rest of that crap.

Thing is, I hate the phone. I don't like talking to people on the phone at all. I do it only for people who live a far distance away, I'd rather just go see them. I'm not one for small talk or chit-chat, never have been though my brothers and sisters all were. My brother uses his phone all the time. My dad almost killed him when he was texting on my mom's 70th birthday... I think it's rude at social gatherings to be texting people. I think that if you would rather be talking to other people when you should be interacting with the people you are with, then you need to go BE with the people you are texting. I think texting actually creates unhealthy attachments to too many people. It's overload for some kids, and most of the people that I knew in school who couldn't live without being on the phoen with other people are very lonely people when they are alone now. They are seriously co-dependant and have never learned to live without having someone there to converse with.

So yes, I do think that when it gets that out of control, it's a form of mental illness. It's wierdly over-social but disconnected at the same time... it's like those kids who spend hours and hours on myspace and facebook, or in mmorpg's obsessively. You get so plugged in, you don't know how to interact with real live people.

And anyone who texts while driving should be shot. I feel the same way about reading/eating/cellphones/shaving/applying makeup while driving as well. In a Mythbusters episode, they found that talking on a cellphone while driving is just as bad as being over the legal limit on alcohol.

People need to learn to unplug from their devices. There is a whole world out there to experience and enjoy.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A text message is just one response in a conversation. Teenagers are ordinarily very social. I bet if you counted up each particular response in a phone conversation, the number would also be very high. If they weren't texting, they would be phoning. In the past, they just waited until they were home from school to call, and then they would stay on the phone all afternoon. Now at least they can accomplish the same thing without hogging the line.