Tesco accused over padded bra for 7-year-olds

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Apr 16, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Lets face it. A padded bra is to make your boobs appear larger than they are. It doesn't really matter if they are pushing them up or pushing them out. It is very difficult
    now to find bras without so much padding in them. It makes it difficult for women with large boobs to fit into them!

As far as for little girls. I think making your 7+ daughter look like her boobs are bigger than they actually are is disgusting. You are sending them out
    there to get more attention then they should be getting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

exactly, i agree 110%!! they dont need the attention that (some) women get, they are kids and can't and shouldnt have to handle that.

And again your right about the women with bigger boobs, we do find it hard to get bras that fit properly!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Aren't those the same things???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no, holding them up makes them look bigger than they actually are, while support gives, support notonly for the boobs but the back aswell, which is what bigger children would need

8. Bells Staff Member

Errr no.

Padded bras are designed to make the breasts appear bigger than they actually are. If your child is developing, she'd be better off wearing a properly fitted training bra (as in taking her to a bra shop and having her measured and fitted with a bra for her). If you are concerned about coverage, you can always get her to wear a crop top style bra.

9. Bells Staff Member

Padded bras provide as much if not less coverage than normal bras. They probably provide about as much coverage as a training bra, with one exception. They are designed to make the breasts look bigger.

You might not see it as sexual, and it most probably is not sexual.

But the question remains, why does a small child with breasts barely even showing need a padded bra?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

a bra shop for a custom fitted bra for a 10 yr old. I don't even wanna know how much that is gonna cost.

Well, anyways, my daughter can pick out her own underwear next year and she's getting the Walt Disney Hannah Montana padded bra she wants.

I still don't understand why there is a big fuss about Tesco, when Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart, etc all sell them here.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't see why she would. And I've never seen or heard of a girl with barely any breasts wearing a padded bra. I think people are getting upset about something that rarely if ever happens.

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

itll cost a fair bit i dare say, i pay a lot for my bra's and i am an adult, i buy my daughters bras from john lewis where she can be measured and made to fit properly, and the measuring service and fitting service doesnt cost extra!

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

and those shops should be made to re think they're policies aswell IMO

14. Bells Staff Member

Doesn't cost that much. You don't need to buy their bras. You can just take her in to be measured so you know the correct cup size to get for her. And it will also teach her how to find the right bra for herself.

I think the issue is that padded bras are seen to be an adult product. Women wear them to make their breasts look bigger. And it is disturbing that such products are on the market for little girls.. especially for little girls who may have a distorted view about their own bodies.

It would be akin to stores selling jock fillers for 10 year old boys.

Manufacturers have found a nice little niche. Target young developing girls who may already be feeling uncomfortable or embarrassed about their developing body. The sale of items such as padded bras can lead girls to believe that the size of their breasts are somehow abnormal or not big enough, so they need to buy a bra to make it look bigger.

Lets face it, padded bras do make the breasts look bigger and fuller. Just like they sell g-strings for 6-7 year olds so their pantie lines won't show underneath their clothes.

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Hey this sounds like deja vu

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What about mini skirts? Should little girls wear mini skirts? Frilly underwear? See through tops? Little "high" heels? halter tie play suits?

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

This is starting to sound like the pagent freaks who dress their little girls up to look like they are 18 yrs old and prance them around.

Remember .JonBenet Ramsey

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

My opinion but women should not wear bras unless they need them, like say if you can hold a pencil under your boobs then you need a bra, if not don't wear it they are to small to sag.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually, its pretty much what I wore throughout my childhood. Miniskirts, frilly underwear and see through tops (since its hot in Bombay and soft cotton tops for children are generally not thick). And I loved high heels.

And no, I was never treated as anything but a tomboy.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My daughter wears mini skorts (not skirts), frilly underwear til they no longer came in her size, no shirts til she started developing, lots of halter tops and tube tops, and she just bought these at her church's rummage sale.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wonder how that would go over in the corporate world.:bugeye: I don't even know how my boss or HR would approach that subject.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but who looks at a seven year old and thinks bras?

Me at seven or six maybe
    Are children getting breasts at seven now? Don't children have a childhood anymore?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's what I've been asking. I have never seen a 7 yr old wearing a bra nor do I know of anyone who has. I think someone with a 7 yr old went to the underwear section, saw padded bras and got all outraged "How dare they try and sell this to 7 yr olds!!"