Tesco accused over padded bra for 7-year-olds

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Apr 16, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I saw this yesterday, and i thought it was awful, we are having children being raped, and abused and Tesco in all they're wisdom go and sell somthing like this to 7yr olds? what is the world coming to?

------------------------

The bra, which costs £4, is sold alongside vests in the supermarket's seven to eight-year-old age range.

It is the latest embarrassment for Tesco, which in 2006 removed a pole dancing kit from sale after being accused of "destroying children's innocence".

Yesterday teachers and children's groups criticised the decision to sell the bra.

A spokesman for the children's charity the NSPCC said: "It is important that products accessible to children are appropriate to their age and understanding."

A spokeswoman for the National Union of Teachers said: "There is already too much pressure on children to appear grown up.

"Making products for young girls which encourage them to wear inappropriate or sexually provocative clothes is irresponsible and merely adds to the pressure they are under.

"A padded bra for young girls is clearly inappropriate."

Fashion lecturer David Morris described the bra as "salacious".

He added: "I can imagine women being upset about their daughters buying these 'pocket money bras' without their mums knowing.

"The bra is modelled on a plunge style - it has a very low bridge connecting the cups. It means the shape and position is lower to expose the breast tissue."

Tesco, however, defended the bra. A spokesman said: "It is a product designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing.

"It is designed to cover up, not flatter, and was developed after speaking to parents.

"It is described as a padded bra for trade description reasons."
    -----------------------------------------

looking at pictures of the bra, when tesco said it was designed to cover up, it doesnt, i have to admit i wouldn't allow my 7yr old to have one of these, they are designed to hold the breasts up a bit more. And also an underwire bra is not good for kids who are still growing up!

------------------------------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/14/nbra114.xml

-------------------------------------------

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This is just one example of how the profit motive when divested of any moral
    dimension, is corrupting.

Leaders in Business don't seem to find anything wrong with the idea that
    profitability is an ideal above any other.

I once worked for a company which said that we should give good service
    because that would lead to customer loyalty and higher profits.
    The idea of a company having the responsibility of serving the community as a group of individuals, the same as a single individual, did not occur to them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well with a bit of luck they wont sell many and they will be made to take them of the shelves!

but saying that there will always be a mum out there willing to sexualise they're little girls

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Ain't right

Tesco's to me is actually an anorexia joke from the Sigmund Freud episode of The Mark Steel Lectures. ("Have you tried Tesco's moussaka? I hear it's lovely.") I actually had to ask a friend about the name once upon a time. (That, and I was embarrassed to find out Boots wasn't so much a place as many places: "But you read in a book that you got free in Boots there are lotions, there are potions you can take to hide your shame from all those prying eyes.")

Surely you've heard about the Harry Potter Magic Vibrating Broom. And, hell, we have thongs and slut panties (with racy slogans) for preteens on our side of the pond, so as tasteless as it all seems, it's ... uh ... nothing to get excited about.

Okay, okay. Right. I know.

There's a Tesco's in Hell.

Still, the pole dancing kit sounds awesome.

Get the hormones out of the food, though. Why the hell are girls getting breasts at seven these days?

Oh, yeah. Scariest thing I ever heard from a nine year-old: "So what? I have a thong ... wanna see?"

Damn it! No!

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Just like there will be a mum who allows an eight year old a cellphone. Pot, Kettle, Black, Luci.

9. Bells Staff Member

That's the first thing that came into my mind when I read the article. And then this:

Tesco, however, defended the bra. A spokesman said: "It is a product designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing.

Which contradicts the following statements:

"It is designed to cover up, not flatter, and was developed after speaking to parents.

"It is described as a padded bra for trade description reasons."

Hmmmm..

I'd be interested in knowing which parents they spoke to to allow them arrive at the conclusion that 7 year olds need padded bras. Then again, some parents who think their 16 year old daughter can get a boob job, I shouldn't be asking that question.

Makes me glad I had two boys.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Do girls who are developing make fun of other girls who are not?
    If so, then maybe it is not so heinous.
    Sick, yes, but not Tesco's fault.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i am not sexualisng my son am i? theres a big big differance, so dont pot, kettle black me!

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's still allowing them adult items at too young an age. Let kids be kids, don't rob them of their childhood.

13. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

a phone is a must have for a child like mine, who goes out and plays why does a 7yr old need a push up bra!

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Amen. My father tried to teach me the value of money when I was like five. Had a savings account at six. Screwed me up for life.

15. Bells Staff Member

I don't think so. I would imagine a girl getting boobs at 7 years of age would be somewhat embarrassed about it and could be teased because of it, not because of the size to require a padded bra to make them look bigger.

Or you could have just gotten them the child phones which allow them to only dial two numbers and can only receive calls from those two numbers. That way, your son could only call and receive calls from you and/or your husband. There isn't even a number pad on the thing and looks like a little beeper on a key chain for use in emergencies. It is designed for young children.

If I were to ever get either of my son's a phone, that is what they would get until they were old enough to work and buy a proper one for themselves. But then again, I doubt I would get them any phone until they were old enough to work and pay for it themselves.

Children go out and play all the time. That is what children do. I don't think they need a mobile phone to facilitate that. But that's just me.

I agree.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My 10 yr old daughter was asking for a padded bra. At least, what I consider padded.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't have a problem with it. I told her she could have one next year when she fills out a bit more. Right now she wears training bras, which looks like a bikini tops.

17. Bells Staff Member

:bugeye:

Why does she need a padded bra?

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

That is total bullshit.

Why does an eight year old need a cellphone? Because the parents say so.

Don't be weak, dare to say 'no' to your child.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is it a push up bra or a padded bra?

20. Bells Staff Member

Padded bras tend to push up what is there so it looks bigger.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

hmmmm, not the bras I have seen. Push up bras seem to have more padding on the underside to actually push up. The padded bras my daughter wants are just stiffer padded matl. No cold nipples showing through.

22. Bells Staff Member

:bugeye:

And the padded material makes the boobs look bigger and fuller.

Again though, why does she need a padded bra? If cold nipples are a problem, wear a thicker sweater.

Meh.. Makes me really glad I have two boys. I'd be the most hated mother on the planet if I had girls because the answer to such requests would be a simple "no".

23. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

When has that idea (responsibility to serve the community) come before the notion of making as much money as possible. Morals and ethics go out of the window with large multinationals. Forget the padded bras for a second, Tesco is pretty much flooding the UK with cheap booze and fuelling binge drinking, something that costs the UK £20 Billion every year.

It’s a complete joke.