telemarketing

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by top mosker, Sep 18, 2005.

1. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

The anti-telemarketing laws were passed not too long ago in congress, yet they seem to be getting around that by calling with a recorded message, and giving you the option of talking to a salesperson or being discontinued from their list.

I loathe telemarketers. I feel they are beyond all decency and humanity. So how do you deal with them?

Recently, I have been using the "fake info" approach where I give them all the information they ask for until they ask for a credit card number, at which time I inform them I was simply waisting their time and I will do so in the future if called back. Usually, profanities are exchanged...

What are your tactics?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I don't think telemarketing is so bad. I resent the government making laws about calling people.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Registered Senior Member

Well, just "resent" right on, then. I'm very glad they created the National Do Not Call List. I'd gotten very tired of being interrupted during dinner, while watching TV or entertaining guests. It became very annoying.

Give me your number and I can see to to it that you get dozens of calls every evening, since you obviously want them.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Not so sure that I agree with the first part, but I wholeheartedly agree on the second part. Imagine ....if the damned federal government feels that it has some "right" to say who can call your phone number, what else do you suppose they think they can do?

Geez, next thing they're probably gonna' make federal laws on how parents should potty-train their kids?!

Baron Max

8. Light Registered Senior Member

You're completely off the mark, Baron. They have made no such law. What they've done is make it YOUR choice not to be called by those people. That's quite a difference from what your're saying.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I don't think telemarketing is so bad.

Give me your phone number, I want to sell you something that you don't need.

10. Roman Banned Banned

I'd give you my number, but it's not mine to give away. SORRY COCKBITE!

11. Light Registered Senior Member

Ah-Ha-ha-ha!

Take a look at this, everyone. The person who doesn't think telemarketing is so bad. No wonder!! He/she doesn't even have a phone in his/her name. No wonder that's the attitude - couldn't possibly have much experience with them anyway.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

It's capitalism, stupid. This is the best way to sell high-margin goods/services to decision-makers.

If I don't want what he's offering, I don't waste his time or mine - a quick, "Not interested, but thanks for the call", I need to get back to work, and he needs to keep calling to find the one in 3/5/10 who is interested.

Just deactivate your call-answering service, and go back to the old-fashioned tape answering machines. Leave it on loudspeaker, make your message no more than 5 seconds, something refreshingly arrogant like, "You're auditioning for my time, you have 20 seconds to convince me to pick up" and then decide if you actually DO want to pick up, depending on the nature of the call.

Jaybee.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Telemarketing has always been illegal in Latvia. I could not be more happy about it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Pi-Sudoku Slightly extreme Registered Senior Member

Telephone numbers should be yours togive away, people should only be able to call you if you give them your number, it is not nice to randomly generate numbers or however they do it

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some people have a way of seeing who's calling them, the number that the call originates from. By knowing what number is calling you can euther pick it up if its a number you know or just let it ring.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I'd give you my number, but it's not mine to give away.

hehe - gotcha!