Teh Gimmickry - Test Your Extensive Knowledge and Riddle Solving

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lybogany, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

"Air" is a popular movement from Handel's Water Music... but it got me nowhere.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

Thanks Quigly.

That helped. I finally got 14.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

All the more to help on 15 as it is difficult or misspelled

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. upthorn Registered Senior Member

I've been thinking in terms of physics and music for instance:
    Sound waves travel through air
    Winds are the atmospheric equivalent of ocean waves
    radio stations call broadcasting being "on air"
    In Celtic music an "air" is a lament

But it's led me nowhere. Why isn't ireland the answer?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I gave up when I thought of Eire. Too many tracks to follow!

We might have worse to come...
    I see that #17 and #18 are also the work of nullzero/nullmask, the creator of this beast and #8, the evil "Will you let me out?" riddle.

But hang in there... only five to go after this one!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  9. PseudoNym Registered Member

I googled renamed air and got that a show on XM was being renamed air america radio... but that didnt turn up anything... feel free to go over it if I missed anything

10. orka Registered Member

www.deathball.net/notpron

Well thought out game.These riddles actually make sense.

if 'pattern' has something to do with gold and the old west, then i dread to think what water waves and air refers to.

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I agree, notpr0n is better, as far as puzzles are concerned, but I already got really far on it. And besides, this thread is for teh gimmickry.

As far as renamed air is concerned, I still haven't the slightest idea. Maybe 'air' in a different language? The language of a country surrounded by water? I don't know. I think I will try this path later today when I have time.

12. th3darkt0w3r Registered Member

well i have tried air in japanese, german,spanish,french,italian,and portuguese. no luck

13. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

14. upthorn Registered Senior Member

This thread is about Teh Gimmickry.
    If you want to get people to play your little riddle game, please make a new thread, it's annoying to the people who are trying to concentrate on Gimmickry, and come in to see what angles people have tried.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  15. klem_johansen Registered Member

Point taken. I do think folks are reacting to the frustration that the puzzle appears to be broken. If it weren't for a liberal amount of cheating, we'd have given up on 11. I know for a fact that folks have been hitting their server with word lists of a quarter million words and found no luck. Something is up with this one and nullmask refuses to answer email. I think folks are all but giving up on this one. I am, too.

16. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Well you have to look at it like this. Take for instance the last one. You have a picture of what appears to be a sunset in the desert with a plateau. The hints were old west and gold.

The kind of reasoning and logic applied to get the answer would make it quite hard to figure out these riddles. How do you go from old west and gold to the answer. I mean it takes a good stretch of the imagination don't you think.

So the picture of the water with the hints could be anything from underwaterseamonkey to nebula. good luck

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Do you think it's worth trying site mirroring software? If all the URLs are different, there has to be a different page for each one. That means if one were to use software such as WinHTTrack or something similar, the pages can be saved to a hard drive, and the URLs can be looked at. In this way, we can skip the impossible one that we are stuck on.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It seems likely that it's a two-word answer, then. Remember numberssecond?

19. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Ok, mirroring the site to get the html files didn't work at all. If we don't hear from teh peoplez who made teh riddle, we might not ever get it.

20. PseudoNym Registered Member

I don't think its underwaterseamonkey because what the hell does that have to do with renamed air and waves?

21. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Because seamonkeys once breathed air before it was renamed a million years ago. Before it was called air, it was called something else, and the semi sea monkeys breathed it. Then as they started to evolve into true seamonkeys, the surfed on the waves, until they kept drowning and so they evolved into underwaterseamonkeys. Hence the picture of water.

22. klem_johansen Registered Member

That might be the answer- if you can only guess the random spelling he used.

unerwaterseamonkeys
    underwaterseemonkees
    underwahterseamonkeys
    underwaterseamunkees
    etc.

23. upthorn Registered Senior Member

this one is not by the same guy who made the error with "photografer".