Teenagers and mortality

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Letticia, Jul 17, 2000.

1. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Totally kick it's ass.

I think you guys are giving teenagers a bad rap. It's kind of like how you think kids and things have changed so much from when you were a kid, but in reality they really haven't. Hell, they're even exposed to more than most of us were. Things are more dangerous for them than they were for us, but they're also smarter than we were.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. esp Registered Senior Member

blackmonkeystatue

Do you really believe that 'kids' today are no different from when you or I were growing up? (Assuming of course that you are of a similar age to me.)
    I know it's cliched, but it's true. Kids (and in this context of 'kids' we mean thirteen to twenty year olds) are very different to when we were their age. Obviously, I can't speak authoritatively for your locale, but I regularly revisit the suburbs of Liverpool where I was brought up and the kids there seem to me to be less respectful of not only adults (young and old) but their peers and their communities.
    It can only follow that the experiences of those kids are different to the experiences had ten or fifteen years ago, and so their mindset is different.
    This may well be because society has changed and in that there is an intrinsic alteration in the experinces to be had by it's youngfolk.
    I don't believe that it's fair to say that todays teenagers are any smarter than we were at a comparable age.
    Perhaps though, the experiences had by our parents influence the outlook we have / had on life, and so toughened us up. It would follow that our offspring would have not only the experiences of us, their parents, but also those experiences which made us tougher than our parents.
    If things are indeed more dangerous for them, then thats only because that's how they, and their peers have made it.
    Here endeth the lecture... God I sound old!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

Hence why we are DEPRESSED and dont realize we can be killed... I've known a few people commit suicide... but i KNOW i wont... drugs, hell they just make my friends seem happy lmao ... and guns? Fuck... ill kill any bastard who brings a gun to school.

See ^ im not afraid of a dude with a gun... cause i have never been placed in that position. I would probably actually piss my pants.

So far, i've never been really scared... because the top poster (forgot name) is RIGHT!

Plus not to mention all the chemicals being used today fucks with our minds (excuse my language)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. blackmonkeystatue Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I just saw something on the news that said one of the reasons teens take so many risks is because the risk management part of the brain is one of the last parts to develop.

I really don't believe kids have changed very much. Sure they are different than we were, but it's a different world, and I attribute most of the difference to that, not to the kids themselves. I remember being in elementary school, in junior high, a freshman in high school, a senior in high scool, a freshman in college, a senior in college and thinking that the younger kids were so much different than I was. It just wasn't the case, it was just how it seemed.