Tech Pros *ONLY* - Future Proof Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nonsense, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

LOL...my current case is from an old P3 gateway oem case that I literally got off the curb, outta somebodies trash. No side panels or nothing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think I need a new one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I would suggest the Quad Core Q9300 over the Dual Core E8400. Anybody think this is better choice?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Depends on what he's doing. There's not too much out there that'll make use of 4 cores, unless he's planning on doing a lot of CAD work or rendering I'd say the 500mhz drop in clock speed isn't worth it.

But that could change depending on how many of the newer games take advantage of quad cores. I'd say certainly by next summer we'll see most of the new releases able to use them, whether it'll have much of an impact on performance or not is a different question.

Most of the Intel chips overclock really nice too. I've got my E6850 running at 3.5 ghz with just a $20 Arctic Freezer 7 Pro instead of the stock heatsink.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Overclocking a quad core or not, he stated that he will be using this PC for the next years worth of gaming.

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Well it's hard to predict the future. Right now the difference between dual and quad core in games is less than 5%, even with the lower clock speeds. It's basically down to personal preference since the video card will bottleneck the CPU most of the time anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.