Tech Pros *ONLY* - Future Proof Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nonsense, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Try to get an Intel chipset on the motherboard, Nvidia chipsets have been having all sorts of issues lately. I know the Nvidia ones are cheaper, but they're just not very good quality compared to the Intel stuff. What about this DFI board:

DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

It's $40 more but comes with 2 x16 PCI-E 2.0 slots just in case you want to add a second 4850 later on, and an Intel chipset.

Either power supply looks good, I'd probably go for the second one to leave the door open for a second 4850.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Hmmm... Well what if I was intent on never going SLI or CrossFire? Also I noticed that not too many of the boards support DDR2 800 RAM. Would a different one be advisable?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Dang..I wonder if those orange slots glow in the dark? Pretty cool looking.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Lol dude, stick some LEDs in a cereal box and I am sure you'd call it the best system

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hehe

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You gonna overclock? Powersupply - go with enermax. 82%+ efficiency. Even a 550 will power 2 vid cards if that's what you want down the road.

9. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

I don't think I'll OC. Maybe a wee bit but nothing that will require much needed cooling.

But I still can't decide on which mobo and RAM combo. I think I'll use the RAM as the defining factor, bot sure fi I'm going 800 of 1066. And remember I am not going SLI or CrossFire...ever.

10. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Ok man, what are you using this thing for? Gaming? Workstation? Ripping movies?

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

BTW sometimes Quad is actually faster (than dual) for gaming and that can only get better as more games/apps take advantage of 4 cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-quad,1720-20.html

Not sure if Q6600 is still the best value - it was in may when I built a new PC so I went with it. It can be a bitch to overclock though. It WAS a bitch to overclock.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Now that we are settled with the system...if money is no object what would you put together?

13. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Gaming primarily. Counter Strike:Source, World of Warcraft, Warcraft 3:Frozen Throne, Diablo 3, Deadpsace, Left 4 Dead and Spore will be the games I play the most.

First I'm getting the E8400 which is way better than the E6750. And the difference in price is a whole $100 for a minor increase in a only a few games. I understand that later on the 4 cores will be taken better advantage of but not for a while. What's more important is the mobo and RAM.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  14. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

We aren't settled

But to answer your question please take a look at the Voodoo Omen and customize it with the best components. This is the best computer money can buy. No joke. They make freaking origami out of the the power cables!!! :roflmao:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  15. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

OK I think I did it! Here is the list of parts. And the total cost with shipping and tax is $941.88

-BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

-OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail

-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

-Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply - Retail

-SAPPHIRE 100242-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM

-BYTECC 18" Serial ATA-150/300 Cable w/Locking Latch Model SATA-118C - Retail

Forgot to add a case, but I like to get those from a store so I can see them

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Ok..I stated before that wasn't much of a "case man"...but that Voodoo motherfucker gave me a little wood. That is one sweet looking system. Notice you will not find the word "affordablity" ANYWHERE on that page.

wow...I just looked up how much they cost...dang..you could buy a decent used car for that.

That's one of those systems where "If you have to ask how much it costs...you can't afford it".

17. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

The Omen is my goal

It is the most amazing computer in the world. And no one fucking bring up liquid nitrogen or any of that shit.

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The Voodoo Omen is an excellent design for such a large system...2 feet tall (well 22 inches) is still too big for a PC IMO. However, I'm loving the built in screen.

19. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Well when you got the moolah to buy an Omen, I'm sure you got the space to put it somewhere and people to move it for you

And while your online what do you think of my new and improved set up?

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This is the computer I use. This thing will last years. The only thing that will need to be changed next year is the video card. I'm using it now, and it is MF amazing! I love my build.

MY SUPER COMPUTER
    $832.39

MAIN
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz, 45nm, 64-bit - Quad Core Processor
    2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (Upgradable to 8GB)
    1TB Hard Drive 16MB Cache
    Dual Layer DVD +/- RW Burner
    Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU (80 PLUS Certified Energy Efficient)
    Windows XP Pro SP 3 32-bit with all updates validated.

NVIDIA 8600GT
    -540MHz nVidia 8600GT GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
    -512MB GDDR3 1400MHz RAM
    -DirectX 10
    -Dual DVI (Connect 2 monitors for Dual-Monitor interface.)
    -2 DVI-RGB adapters, S-Video Cable, HDTV Cable included

OTHER
    10/100/1000 Ethernet
    8-Channel Surround Sound
    Front Audio Ports, 2 Front USB 2.0, 6 Rear USB 2.0
    Expansions: 1 PCIEx16, 1 PCIEx1, 2 PCI
    Integrated VGA
    Legacy Serial Port
    Legascy Parallel Port

CASE
    Samll foot print micro-desktop.
    Sturdy steel chassis with carry handle.
    Ventilated cooling system with air duct.
    Pad lock loop for secure fastening.

All games and everything I do on this rig run so perfect and smooth. And it's packed with lots of really good and really powerful games/apps installed. This thing is a beast devouring everything in its path. 3D modeling, games, music/video production, HD video, DVD burning, etc. The case is excellent. So sturdy, very well built. I love it. And has a sweet carry handle on top. Next year, I will probably replace the video card with nVidia's new series.
    (If I wanted to take advantage of DX10 and 64-bit, I would have to use Vista-64 instead of XP-32. Although I would love to take advantage of these technologies on this super rig, the setbacks Vista brings is totally not worth it.)

This is the ad on craig's list. I actually build and sell these locally: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/sys/791652203.html
    (The price I listed in this post is how much this costs me. Not how much I sell it for. I advertise this for $1,020, but sell for $1,000.)

21. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

Its a nice rig there but for something for $100 for a WAY better graphics card, 4GB of RAM, and better mobo is worthed IMO.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Another 2GB of RAM is great and worth it anytime. As for the graphics card, I don't mess with AMD/ATI stuff. I'm strictly Intel/nVidia. With the idea of using this video card for only about a year, the cost for a higher performance video card (nVidia) is not worth it for me. I would rather stay with this great card, and put the extra money I would have used to pay for a better card into investment that will turn it into enough money by next year to pay for a new video card with physics processing and everything.

23. Nonsense Non doesn't make sense. Registered Senior Member

The SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card is the best bang for your buck card. Anything above it is in "overkill" territory and below it is not capable of running on max many things. And 64-bit is the future, if you go 32 you are already bottle necking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.