tattoo

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by arauca, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Promo Registered Senior Member

Yes when I see someone with a tattoo of a red nose I also think of clowns, I don't think I've ever seen that tattoo

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Actually, I agree with you mainly. Tattoos can look quite beautiful. When done well, the artwork is impressive.

It's not that everyone who gets a tattoo is a sheep. But, it has gone 'main stream' and therefor by definition many people now are getting tattoos - because it's the "cool" thing to do because they are following the trend set by people who did it when it wasn't popular. Of course, that doesn't mean if one were to get a tattoo today, it's ONLY because everyone else is getting one. Obviously its not fair to lump everyone in together as there were people who wanted a tattoo back when it wasn't mainstream.

Then there is my own bias about tattoos, When I was growing up tattoos were mainly one of two things (1) meaningful events that had happened in one's life: Such as the death of a family member, partner or child -OR- meeting ones wife -OR- even pop culture like StarWars (2) Artwork.

Then there's my personal experience around tattoos. I grew up somewhat around bikers. Lots of people in and around one side of my family owned a Harley-Davidson. As a child I sort of came to dislike a lot of those people. Mainly because I felt they didn't look after their families. I knew their kids (we were all around 8-12) because I was friends with them. And suffice to say at a very early age I developed a POV regarding bikers that they were all insecure, loud dumb-asses and that they tatted up to hide it their insecurity. As adults I expected them to by definition to buck up. Why should we have live shitty childhoods because adults can't get their shit together? AND it was shitty over there. These weren't your cool Harley guys one may romanticize. They were pea brained, short tempered drug dealers who liked bikes. They referred to their "Women" as their bitches, smoked, drank, swore, .... basically everything I hated. Anyway, that probably clouded my way of thinking about tattoos as these guys all had sleaves and necks and face tattoos way back in the 70s-80s.

Anyhow, back to tattoos. Further, not everyone has good taste (particularly some impressionable young people). BUT I do think some tattoos are beautiful. AND like any artwork they can look ugly, gaudy, nice, beautiful or have no effect. Because they are permanent, if viable, then we the viewer don't think of them as other forms of art, like clothing and will react to them involuntarily regardless.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sorry I meant to say carny or sideshow freak.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Interestingly, it's not possible to work as a teacher in some places with a tattoo visible.

That aside, since we're talking about them, what do you guys think of these tattoos?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I coincidentally saw in the news a Russian girl got er boyfriends name tattooed on her face..... :S

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What about other art forms like cutting/scaring?

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

What about body modifications like these Elf ears???

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Ha!

13. arauca Banned Banned

I would not lat down with a woman with tattoo, because it makes me feel that she is a male .
    As you said in the future there will be business for plastic surgeons i agree with that .

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I have seen tons of Chinese characters backwards.

What happens is the artist stencils the image from a picture and makes an outline. This sometimes is flipped around to the other side so now it's the mirror image. Which happened in the above tattoo. It's supposed to say "Love". There's a pro basketballer that has two mirrored and two normal. It's a 50/50 chance the tattoo artist was going to flip it around it is just so happened that it worked out 2 out of 4!

I once read a tattoo on a boxer that translated as 'abnormal man' ... ... who knows what the boxer wanted it to say? Maybe he just picked out some characters and put them together? But now those characters are used by Chinese to refer to Ladyboys

So he now has a LadyBoy tattooed on his stomach

I wonder, in the case of the leg tattoo with the garter belt, how long would that tattoo look as nice as it does now? Would the colors have to be retouched up often? Just curious. I can't see how that sort of tattoo seems masculine? It seems girlish to me.

Also, I am partial to the elf ears when they're done well. Yes, it's a body modification and not a tattoo, pretty much irreversible, but in the hands of a professional (and if they look rounded and not pointy) I think they also look pretty cool. If I were 20 something, I'd think about it .... except it'd bug me if everyone else was having the same thing done :S

As for the leg cutting, this seems to be a cry out for help. Maybe it's not, but that's what it seems like to me.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think body scarification has been around a lot longer than tattooing. Especially in Africa

16. arauca Banned Banned

I am wright we are becoming uncivilized , we are going back to the jungle .

17. Promo Registered Senior Member

I don't think "going back to the jungle" might be such a bad thing. People are free to do whatever they please with their own bodies, that's the luxury we have as individuals. I think it takes a pretty pathetic person to worry so much about other people, maybe they should self check themselves before they start judging others.

18. Promo Registered Senior Member

If people don't do their own research then they deserve to have stupid tattoos for life.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree to some extent. We are becoming uncivilized, but I would disagree that primitive people living in the jungle were uncivilized. They have rather strict customs and excellent social cohesion. The reasons they tattoo are nothing like tattooing in modern culture.

20. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

:thumbsup:
    :cheers:

21. Promo Registered Senior Member

Please explain to all of us MY reasons for my tattoos, or Thoreau's reasons, or anyone elses here that has a tattoo.

22. Promo Registered Senior Member

Thanks

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Insecurity? Low self esteem due to underemployment? Raised by pirates?