Tallest building opens.

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Scaramouche, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scaramouche Registered Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merril, a Chicago, IL based architectural and engineering firm.

And I believe that it was built by Indian immigrants! And possibly some other people imported especially to work their little fingers to the bone.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Scaramouche Registered Member

The point of that steel comment was that they're having problems over there with it. China has been supplying a rather crappy steel, and many people are guessing it's only going to last maybe 20 or 30 years before those buildings become dangerous.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Is THAT true??? I mean, one would think that the quality control would have been very stringent...

that aside I was reading that it cost 1.5 billion to build. When we stop to think of the TRILLIONS we, the Tax Payer, have given to BANK Managers and other filthy pig-f*ck-faces, man we could have built many similar buildings all around the USA using USA steal... but, I suppose, it's better to give that money to Bank Managers so they can invest in China and get Chinese steal manufactures up to our standards and have them out competing what's left of our manufacturing base......

For Dubai it shouldn't matter, they sold most of that building off the plan at 50% higher prices than today AND do so at a prophet I read.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Any evidence of that or is it just false accusations of the competitors or someone who lost out in some way? If there's evidence, why did they use the steel? If there's evidence after-the-fact, why are they still opening up the building? Why are they not suing the steel supplier?

Many people are guessing?? When that phrase is included in a sentence, I'm usually ready for a good laugh. And I wasn't disappointed in that one. All buildings have what's called a "life cycle" ...that's basically a cycle of time where maintenance of the building and structure becomes a major issue and a major expense. Yes, you can put in tons of money to save it, but is it worth it?

Just think about it for a moment; there are gazillions of buildings in almost every major city in the world that should have been torn down years and year ago. They've become dangerous, regardless of the money spent to maintain them.

No building can last forever. So.....? Well, they become the living quarters that we usually call "the slums". If the building falls and people die, it's just a bunch of poor people ....and few people care about them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

9. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Yes its a big problem, China has been struggling with getting steel alloys right in large enough batches to meet demand. They seem to get it right in the lab, then fuck up on the larger scale.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Evidence?

Baron Max

11. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Yes, theres lots of evidence. Its a well known issue in China.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I love it when people say things like that and try to pass it off as "evidence"! ...LOL!

Baron Max

13. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Well you can either design to large margins of safety with pessimistic assumptions, ie assume the material is not the strongest everywhere, ie just overdesign the whole thing.

14. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Size does matter. Gosh I wish I had 800m+ of hard steel.

15. superstring01 Moderator

Then do us a favor and provide us with some evidence. Surely you're not clairvoyant and have read this somewhere?

~String

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And the beams and columns become larger than designed, so the whole building has to be redesigned?
    Or the assumptions made about the weakness of the steel is wrong, and the building collapses anyway?
    C'mon, Pinwheel, what the fuck are you trying to sell to people?

Baron Max

17. Pinwheel Banned Banned

OK you got me Im trying to sell you steel. Come on Baron, how much can I put you down for? 4 beams? 5? Come on I have kids to feed.

Jeez.

18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

You mean like links? I dont know about literature thats been published on the internet. Most of my experience was with working in industries that source steel.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  20. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Its funny you say that, substitue the word China with India and you have pretty good description of whats happing right now. In fact the UKs largest steel company Corus was eventually taken over by Tata.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So what's that mean? ...that we should just beleive you? ...without any factual evidence or anything?

Would you suggest that we do the same for anyone and everyone that might post something on the Internet? ..just believe whatever they say? ..without any evidence or any facts?

Baron Max

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

You can believe whatever you want Max, I dont really care.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, wow! Have you seen some of the film showing the corrosion of the electrical wires and junction boxes? Wow, that's a major, major fire hazard and it's easily understandable that people are actually moving out of their homes because of it. Nasty stuff .....nasty stuff!

Baron Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.