Tag closure in quotes

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Tiassa, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I am going to attempt to reproduce here a quirk I've noticed; I don't know if it's actually problematic or not.
    Okay ... and now
    Now then ....

I see by the preview that I have reproduced the issue.

• Test Quote A is improperly tagged. It lacks a closing /URL tag in Test Link 1.
    • Yet it appears that the tag automatically closes--sort of--when Test Quote A is closed.
    • The "automatic closure" leaves intervening text without a hyperlink, but when you come to tagging Test Quote B the URL tag is still open--sort of.

This is why Test Link 2, which is properly tagged, does not display correctly.

I've done this before, accidentally, with fonts. But it took me forever to figure out what I was doing wrong this time because I kept staring at the preview (and not the tagged text) and saying, "That first link works, so what's the problem?" So I opened the second quote (in my original post) with an /URL tag in order to kill any open tag ahead of it, and when that worked I finally went back and figured out where I had failed to close a tag.

It's not problematic insofar as I know exactly what to look for when the symptom displays itself ... at least, now I do.

But ... is this the way it's intended to work? Normally when I miss a closing tag, the effect is a little more obvious.

(Apologies for the extraneous font, color, and size tags, but that's how I did it the first time, so I figured to reproduce as directly as possible.)