Synchronous menstruation

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Circe, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Circe Registered Senior Member

It is a curious phenomenon that women who live or work in close proximity often menstruate at the same time. Somehow, over time, their cycles synchronize. What's the explanation?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Zinj Registered Senior Member

It's pheromonal.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Pheromones.

Women release certain hormones into the air. Other women breathe them in, and their bodies synchronise cycles.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

Imagen a doomsday devise that would unleash those pheromones globally.

8. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Which one gets to decide who they "sync" to though? Whose example do they all follow? Does it just line up with lunar cycles etc?

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Damn.

Rush Limbaugh, in one of his books, imagined a brigade of female army soldiers who would be unleashed on the enemy once a month.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Also, what is the genetical advantage of it? I would say different times are better if only a few males are aviable, because they can keep impregnating the ones having their fertile periods. If all/most women get their fertile times at the same time, the chances getting pregnant will decrease...

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Probably a genetic "compitition" thing.

It does happen and it DOES SUCK.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Apparently, in the pheromone wars, some women just naturally dominate others.

Women want to be able to choose who they have children to. A good way to do that is for women living together to all sychronise their fertility cycles. That way, they all become fertile at the same time, and the women can each choose from the available men who they'd prefer to breed with.

The opposite situation, in which each woman becomes fertile at a different time, gives all the males the opportunity to concentrate their energies on a single female at a time, which potentially takes away her choice. It is also more likely to lead to conflict among the males, though genetically speaking that is probably a minor consideration.

Note that this kind of thing evolved when humans lived in relatively small groups, numbering probably less than 30 individuals on average. In today's world, the advantages are less obvious, but evolution is a slow-moving thing.

13. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

And before they discovered pheromones, those women noting these patterns were not doubt dismissed as basing their ideas on anecdotal evidence and or engaging in wishful thinking. Thousands of years after the phenomenon is noted by women, scientists come up with 'proof' and a 'cause'. I wonder what other phenomena scientists now consider simply the anecdotes of irrational people that we (as a species) will find to be 'proven' one hundred or a thousand years from now.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dogs are just the opposite. They tend to space out their estrus cycles so that no two females are in heat at the same time. (When it's twice a year instead of 28 days they can do that.) The female deliberately tries to mate with all the males. That way when her puppies are born, every male will figure that at least one of them might be his, and he will protect them. Social sex is also a mechanism for strengthening the bonds among the pack members.

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Sorry if I'm slow, but how does this give women more choice? It seems that this gives them MORE choice because they can pick the best male from those wooing her. Also, having all of the women fertile at the same time seems to mean that each male should have a harem, so to speak.

Maybe, if one guy has a pack of females, if the females all get pregnant at the same time, raising childeren (who would all be the same age) is easier?

16. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

I doubt it has much to do with a Darwinian "strategy". At a guess, it is more along the lines of a system of weakly coupled low q resonators. More physics than biology.

17. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Hormonal gain.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My apologies to any ladies present, but I couldn't resist. Bad kevin!

18. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

There you go! All kidding aside, I bet you could model it along those lines.

19. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Exactly. It probably wouldn't be to hard to do either. Each woman represented as an astable with an average period of 28 days. Add some randomness (not all time constants 28 days). Throw in a retrigger minimum period and feedback network and I bet you would have pretty good model.

Reading over this, I should perhaps mention for non electronics female types that the term "astable" was not a dig or insult, it's an electronic circuit, usually in ic form.

20. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Just a thought. Why is it that female cats and dogs do not menstrate. No other female specie menstrates, that I know of... for that matter.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They do!

22. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

It is usually refered to as a female animal being in heat. Most animals only cycle once or twice a year though. It's species dependant. Humans are kind of unusual in cycling once a month.

Ever try to live in the the same house with a house cat in heat? It'll drive you up the walls. Constant howling. She got demoted to outdoor cat real quick. I think that's where the word "caterwailling" comes from.

23. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

When all the females in a group breed, and have children at the same time, then ALL the children that are born have a higher survival rate. Power in numbers!