Symbols of Chaos

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Naomi, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Roman Banned Banned

Quetzlcoatl was the patron of mankind, and Tezcatlipoca, the Smoking Mirror, was his polar opposite. Tezcatlipoca was the god of night and sorcery, as well as opposing the Feathered Serpent.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm. That's interesting. I'd never heard of Tezcatlipoca other than there being someone around here who posts occasionally by the name of Tezcatlipoca's Hat.

I wonder if they eventually decided that Cortez was actually Tezcatlipoca instead of Quetzlcoatl as they first thought?

Also. As to Eris.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nietsche makes an excellent argument in Homer's Contest about the twin natures of Eris. Her venue was envy not discord and was seen by the ancient greek as a necessary virtue in man. Man needed to be envious of another. To contest with another. To inspire him to greater and greater heights.

Also, nothing was more to be feared than a genius without another genius against whom to compete. For in such instances, the other side of Eris would come forth.

Anyway. I don't think that Eris is a deity of chaos. No more than the rest of the greek pantheon anyway. If you want chaos, you'll have to go back to the titans or the gods before them... forgetting their names at the moment...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

LOVE those symbols above of 8s....8 is Goddess meaning eternity....as trace the figure and uou keep going round and round the sahpe which looks like ancient images of the Goddess too

also remember that CHAOS births both order and disorder

in chinese symbolism you have the symbol of the circle 'Wu chi/Original chaos...the Creatress.....And then you get the wavy line that 'divides' the circle 'T'ai chi/Discrimination

a more ancient symbol is the Caduceus which is the pole/ world tree, with the two twining serpents around it, male and female

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

a place with highest entropy? how would you represent it? thats what it is. (you could say Hell,if you believe in one,i do though.)

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I'm anti-chaos. We Southwesterners all have a grudging respect for Coyote. It was Coyote who took the perfect solid-black night sky and splattered it with random assortments of stars.

Now that coyotes are migrating into the former wolf territory, a.k.a. the whole rest of the U.S., it will be interesting to see how their new human neighbors adapt. I'm sure his taste for venison will endear him to a lot of people. You can keep your pets indoors or else post a 100-pound guard dog to protect them from coyote predation. (Or even a llama, they stomp 'em to death.) But there's just flat nothing you can do to protect your garden from deer and they're driving Easterners bonkers.

9. Food Ninja Registered Member

Has anyone here read the stuff on www.principiadiscordia.com ?

Somehow I can't decide if it should be taken seriously or not ...

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Fraggle: Had to live around a few too many coyotes for my liking. In fact, I lost a cat to one. They are still one of my favorite animals... which says little as I have two pet rats.

11. Food Ninja Registered Member

How about Mallory Knox? Did she have an avatar?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. duendy Registered Senior Member

I am not sure you could define it as a place of 'highest entropy' because that would imply disorder, and CHAOS births both disorder and order, entropy and order

so it is like when we try and think of it, we tend to go over to either one side or another....in yourcase 'highest entropy'/ lowest entropy(?)

And then you keep tp this way of thinking by wondering if it might be 'hell', yet 'heaven' and 'hell' are also two abstractions, pointing to a dynamic 'process'

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

Well..its funny for sure. i feel Discordinaism is a diveerse art form...showing the playfullness of the universe. a giggling iconoclastic surreal attitude...it also embraces Chaos Magic which 'believes' in 'meta-belief'. meaning that 'nothing is true, all is permitted'..meanin that all belief systems and symbols are symbols that are not sacrosanct abover others of different beliefs and symbols. so the Chaotes will use any belief's systems symbols for magical purposes.....not BELIEVING in them once magic's been done

my reservations about Discordia and that is that the funny side needs to be balnced with a seious side reagarding actual political reality. i sense an atttitude comeing from thisier philosophy which will tend to accept disorder/'chaos' in society, rather than be activist

14. ecclesiastes Registered Senior Member

i guess fractals like mandelbrot sets can be used as smbols fr chaos too..though its more on a mathematical basis that a historical or mythological one..

15. JohnGalt Registered Senior Member

How about the swastika? Symbol of chaos for the Nazis. However, the ancient form of it(drawn with slants instead of straight lines) was once a Greek(Or Tibetan, I cannot remember) luck symbol. Talk about turning the full 180 degrees.

What about the anarchy sign(the a inside the circle)? Not ancient in roots(at least I do not know of them), but it could be considered a symbol of chaos. Even though I usually see it on a bunch of skater punk's(if you could call the skaters of this town(or any town) punks) clothing, it might have some importance.

Another-A set of keys. Not so much chaos, but a symbol of the Greek underwold, carried by Hades. Meant to convey the meaning that death is forever. You die, you get locked in, you don't get out.

And one more. Concentric cirlces-symbolizes the aborigine(Native Australia) spirit(of death or some such thing I believe)Wulgaru.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The swastika turns up in multiple cultures. It's not unique. I think the one you're talking about originated in India. In some cultures it's a mirror image, turning the opposite direction. Some American Indian tribes developed it also. Apparently it's archetypal.