sychoactive Substances and The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Vexen, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Vexen Registered Member

I would like us to outline the effects of psychoactive substances (legal and illegal) have on society and individuals, postulating whether the benefits outweigh the cost.

Day to day one seeks happiness or some derivative of it in the form of love, music, socializing, sport, entertainment, food and all other things that may stimulate the mind. However, these activities do have some risk to your health and at times to others. For example, over consumption of certain enjoyable foods such as burgers and French fries may increase your risk of diabetes. Falling in love may also be seen as incurring a risk. A person may go through emotional turmoil during and once a relationship has ended. My points is that the risk that one incurs and extends to other (society) should be balanced with the euphoria acquired by an activity.

In many countries it is legal to consume alcohol. This has incurred many risks to these societies including alcohol induced violence and accidental deaths. Do these damages to society outweigh the benefits they provide to individuals? The same question may be asked to other psychoactive substances.

What about the depressed, poor and dying, should they allowed to induce euphoria through psychoactive substances such as cannabis?

The meaning to life, as I understand it, is to do what makes you happy without inhibiting another person's happiness. Psychoactive substances, in certain circumstances, may provide this.

Sam Harris :
    (http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/drugs-and-the-meaning-of-life)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vexen Registered Member

Not diabetes, rather cardiovascular disease.
    I can't seem to edit my post.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

IMO yes. Alcohol is the most damaging drug available for public consumption and we lose billions every year to premature deaths, violence exacerbated by alcohol, drunk driving deaths, medical costs etc. The primary reason that it's not banned is that we tried that - and it just didn't work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It's a huge subject. There are probably thousands of psychoactive substances and even more situations in which they might be used.

I drink coffee, like its stimulative effects, and don't see any serious downside.

There's a whole group of prescription psychiatric medications, antidepressants, antipsychotics and so on, that seem to have some value in some patients, despite their side-effects.

Alcohol is very problematic in society, with auto accidents, fights, alcoholic addiction and binge drinking. Nevertheless, most people handle alcohol pretty well and it can have some positive effects such as being a relaxant and a social lubricant. It might even be good for your health in moderation.

My own view is that marijuana is relatively harmless and should be legalized for recreational use. It makes people slow down more than speed up, so it's less likely than alcohol to be associated with drunken bravado, disorder and violence. I don't believe that it's addictive when smoked. It would be a gift from heaven for the fast-food industry (Jack's late-nite munchy meals!) and might even bring about a revival of 50's cool jazz (the original marijuana music).

Psychedelics like LSD are fascinating but are probably too dangerous for widespread general use. The possibility of confusion alone makes these drugs accidents waiting to happen.

Heroin and its opiate cousins are way too addictive for general use. There's a certain kind of person who finds these drugs so pleasurable that they will give up working, friendships and devote their entire lives to taking the drug, which ultimately destroys them.

....and on and on...

I do have to say that I don't think that any of this has very much to do with the meaning of life, though drug abuse can certainly make some lives pretty meaningless.

Amar Nath Reu likes this.
  8. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member

Excellent write-up, Yazata. My thanks.

9. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Aren
    Arent some drugs relief from depression?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  10. Amar Nath Reu Be your own guru Registered Senior Member