Survival

Discussion in 'World Events' started by WildBlueYonder, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Okay, iszlq ...

You drew me out of my comfortable little 'just watch the madness' hole by making another one of your off the wall statements. Not the one you made regarding the need for weapons, but rather the following:
    Just thought you might want to read about a 'private' group that tried to help: the Abe Lincoln Brigade. I suspect you've never heard of them so I've included a URL.

Might want to take a few minutes to read a little history that isn't too terribly old.

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/abe-brigade.html

Enjoy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Answers???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm still trying to answer some basic questions in my own life, let along answer for my fellow species? But since I'm absessed by the future, and I don't see much movement for answers yet, I wanted to start a dialog. I'm figuring that somebody here will talk about this subject to their friends & then a 'bright' person will come along and get that 'lightbulb' going, then........????????
    I hope that's not wishful thinking, since even if no one on Sciforums agrees on anything now, who knows???
    My only theories on where the answer might come, are more body-mind & sports-psychology based.
    Mostly, because I was trained in some of the concepts that underlie 'recreation therapy'; 'flow' ( an idea by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi ), empowerment, having fun while learning, game & sports-oriented learning. And since I had to minor in psychology for that, I noticed that humans can be 'mob' oriented, such as violence, peer pressure, belonging, sports & religious fanatics. We do things because everybody is doing it; let's talk fashion, styles, cars, computers. Let's look at sports fans; some live & die for their teams, talk about nothing else, tattoos, heroes.... Hey everybody "Let's do the wave!!!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Randolfo ...

Do you want to survive?

Or feel good while you're surviving?

They're not the same thing!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Hey Randolfo:

I think, I understand. First I have to fix the economy (see my other post), then I have to setup a system that teaches people how to take care of themselves. Then hopefully the knowledge will liberate us all. Have patience...

(Note: When I say "I", that means, I contribute to the Think Tank, I work for)

8. Re: Randolfo ...

I want to do more than survive; I want to live, learn, & love!!! And if you can stand one more 'l-word', listen; to music, birds, stories, poems, small talk, childen, discussions & laughter!!!

I live a comfortable, middle-class American life, the problem for me is that the future looks bleak, we use too much 'clunker' technology, ideas, lifestyles, resources, etc.. to sustain our Western ways. Almost everything that we use, tears up our world; from cars that not just pollute, but use tons of resources to stay running, to the ag industry that feeds us, to simple things, like single use utensils. And this does not include lives; of our 3rd world slaves overseas, of the people here (both immigrants & native-born), that work backbreaking jobs until they are used-up, the homeless, the welfare-class, the druggies, alkies & mental patients, etc...

From what I see, at least in this Western country, we can not sustain this system for long, we need a breakthrough either in thinking or doing things that will make a difference for hopefully all of us.

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oh Randolfo,

Well, I guess your being into the four 'L's rather than the four 'F's makes you more of a dreamer / romantic than a realist / doer. So I guess the only thing I can say is: Accept that you can't solve the problems of the world; decide which aspects you can personally change; connect up with those who feel similarly; and try to make a difference for those who mean the most to you.

Don't know what else to recommend.

Good luck.

10. Re: Oh Randolfo,

Chagur, actually I like your ideas. If anyone thinks about it, these are the start of a good philosophy of being a change agent in society.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, our 'Howard Stern' gave me several related ideas, a way to test our solutions to current problems. This is from a Star Trek post:

My ideas are:
    1) to have a few of our writer friends post stories
    or screenplays that deal with solutions to current
    problems
    2) have some Trekkers post names of 'zines or
    stories that deal with these very problems
    3) have some ambitious person or group try to
    animate these stories, then post
    4) submit these stories or screenplays for
    publication after fleshing out the characters
    5) talk with your friends, family & share some ideas

A little simplistic?? You bet, but we got to start somewhere!!!
    Here's to the future!!! Cause on this pale blue dot, we're it!!

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Gee Randolfo,
    Those are not bad thoughts either. Actually, they sound like a step in the right direction.

12. An Interesting Observation

Just thought this might be interesting for this thread:

HOWARDSTERN
    Senior truth consultant