Survey of Expert Opinion on Intelligence: Causes of International Differences in Cognitive Ability

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Phill, Mar 27, 2016.

?

What do you think is causing racial/national differences in cognitive ability tests?

1. Culture and Environment only

42.9%
  2. Genes only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mostly Culture and Environment

21.4%
  4. Mostly Genes

14.3%
  5. Genes and Culture/Environment

21.4%
  6. Unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phill Banned Banned

I don't understand why you are claiming nearsightedness is "biologically defined" and IQ is not. Is height biologically defined? Is weight? Schizophrenia? Propensity to anger? You appear to be making an arbitrary distinction with no predictive value. In other words you appear to be saying nothing.

And I'm really interested in the noise factors of adoption, and how we control for adoption. Because I have no idea what any of this means. So I am looking forward to your explanantion.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

B. F. Skinner.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

You are fighting a fantasy. You are trying to claim that there are significant biological differences (between groups that you can't yet properly identify) and that these differences lead, somehow, to differences in intelligence (that you have been unable to qualify or quantify), and that these differences somehow trump all the various environmental differences that have been demonstrated to cause differences in carrying out intellectual tasks.

You have a lot of work cut out for you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Phill Banned Banned

Currently we are identifying groups by nation or self identified race, intelligence is quantified by IQ, and the "no genetic differences" side have failed to demonstrate that any of the environmental variables they name explain the consistent difference. A consistent difference across cultures strongly implicates genes as the causative factor. Can you explain why trans-racially adopted children correlate with their parental IQ? Perhaps give us some data on "neurotoxins". I'm guessing White adoptive parents put "neurotoxins" in the food of their adopted Black children. The default position is not yours.

8. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Even though you fight against any attempt to address this.
    Say you? You claimed that there were many intellectual tasks that are well-predicted by IQ, yet you have yet to produce a single example.
    You have got to be dreaming. There is scads of evidence that environment makes a huge difference. You can try this at home for yourself: take a math test after not eating for two days, or eat well and do the same math test with ancient Greek or Roman numerals.

Heck, here is a great example of how just thinking about the existence of a stereotype can influence intellectual tasks: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/10/1/80.short

Why? Why not shared cultural or environmental factors?
    In the abstract, I cannot. I do know that some studies reporting on such correlations also found strong correlations with the adoptive parents. I suppose we would have to look at specific studies, given that there are a number of possible confounding factors.

Of course, if we were just looking for a way to abandon our responsibilities to others, then we should just stop as soon as we find a result that vaguely looks like we should ignore education and not try to make some sort of meaningful equality in our society.

You certainly say a lot of things that racists might say.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "default". The "default" position in most societies seems to be racism. If you want to adopt that, fine. I, however, will oppose such default positions.

9. Phill Banned Banned

You seem to have this either/or mentality of total abandonment versus "equality". Needless to say this is detached from anybody's actual views.

10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

11. Phill Banned Banned

Yes, also if you decapitate someone they get zero in an IQ test. It's the environment! *facepalm*

12. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

No, it is actually a lot of people's view, e.g., you, who seem to want to abandon social responsibility in favor of abandoning people because they don't measure up to some imagined standard.
    That is a nice attempt to ignore everything of substance marshaled against your position, but it still fails.

Look, so far all you have offered us is the standard racist position on intelligence. You even cited openly racist sources. You have given us no reason to ignore all of the evidence that social factors influence intellectual tasks, you haven't even provided good sources to support your own claims.\

Add to that: you won't even deny that you're a racist.

I guess you should get props for your honesty.

13. Phill Banned Banned

You have no understanding of behavior genetics and your "argument" is repeating the mindless word "racist". Please stop posting your garbage in my thread.

14. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

I agree: if you ignore everything except the word "racist", then all I've ever said is just "racist".

You repeat racist garbage. Maybe you think that you are some kind of scion of science that nobody has ever encountered before, but the probably correct conclusion that one should draw is that you are just another racist sent here from another racist website.

You can tell me all you want that I have no understanding of genetics. Given your mistakes about biology and intelligence in general, I'm not going to believe you.

Fortunately for me, and anyone with any sense that comes across your racist diatribe, I found a nice blog post today that pretty much sums up how irrelevant your positions is. http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/04/05/superbrains-will-not-come-out-of-a-test-tube/

15. Phill Banned Banned

You are not in a position to judge such things.

16. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

RiiiIIIIIight. I know what my qualifications are, but they are irrelevant for this thread.

You are now taking the crank approach of merely attacking on irrelevant points rather than try to answer the significant questions put to you. I'm happy: I like to see racism associated with crank behavior.

17. Bells Staff Member

It's not slander if it is true.

Your OP reeked of it and you were, as you currently are, unable to support any of your contention. Then you completely failed to actually address the subject you started in your OP and you were unable and unwilling to discuss the issues you raised in the OP. Not to mention how you kept confusing yourself and you did not really seem to understand the subject you wished to discuss. And I am not even going to touch on the fact that you deliberately and repeatedly ignored all evidence that completely threw your beliefs out the window..

You did do everything but address the OP you posted in the other thread.

That is on record and it goes on for several pages.

Correction. My point of view is supported by science, from fields of biology to psychology and genetics. Yours is supported by people who still believe that blacks are a different race and who argue from a standpoint that one can judge race based solely on one's colour of skin, not to mention the fact that you are arguing that intelligence is somehow affected by what colour one's skin is. You have consistently failed to recognise the many many studies that clearly establish the role environment has to play on intelligence, from maternal and paternal health and education, to stress levels of the mother during pregnancy, to her nutrition and the nutrition of the child into adulthood, to access to health and education for the child, to the types of tests the child had to take throughout its lifetime. It was clearly demonstrated that in the West, children are taught these tests and intelligence itself is valued differently between different cultures. And yet, you still keep demanding that the Western values be applied for all to measure intelligence, when actual experts have clearly demonstrated why that cannot be the case.

No.

Your other thread was a failure. Because you were unable to support your argument, you failed to address the OP you actually posted and then took to refusing to address the points you raised in your OP. And the other thread was simply you trying to discuss this particular subject in a different setting.

As it currently stands, this thread is looking like it's going to be heading to pseudoscience in some form or another for a variety of reasons. The survey in the OP is vague and we don't even know who these so called experts are, only that they are connected to organisations and groups that are distinctly racist or are connected to racist organisations who argue from a standpoint of white supremacism and is not actually supported by real science. Secondly, aside from referring to a survey of what they called "experts", you provided very little actual science to support your claims. Currently you are arguing from a position that has no bearing in "science". In short, you are posting bunk science to peddle your beliefs about society and your obvious beliefs about white supremacism and your distinct racist views. So complaining that I am preventing you from posting racist ideology is not going to work well for you.

I'll give you a hint, you won't get far on this site.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) There is no "no genetic differences" side here. It does not exist on this forum.
    2) If you don't know how things like childhood and prenatal neurotoxin exposure, societal income inequality, various dietary and nutritional factors (from breastfeeding to omega 3/6 ratios) , stress and stereotype threat, literacy, et al,

affect IQ scores, even ,

you are years of research and education away from saying anything useful about human cognitive ability in general.
    No, it doesn't.

A consistent difference between different genetically defined groups raises the question, as any correlation would. Coupled with a genetically governed mechanism postulated, plausible, and visibly correlated with the clustering factors, it would strongly implicate (but not prove) genes as among the causative factors.

Right now you don't even have the correlation.

19. Phill Banned Banned

I was in the middle of discussing a point (subtest correlations) and waiting for a reply when you locked the thread. So repeating ad nauseam that I was not addressing the OP is simply a lie. As is your gratuitous name-calling (ignorant, don't understand, confused etc.).

You are suffering from confirmation bias and your handful of cherry picked POV sources (Sternberg mainly) are not a consensus in the field.

Well your position is supported by Pol Pot, does that in itself invalidate it? I did not define race by skin color.

And I've asked in this thread how the environmental variables you continuously list but fail to quantify can explain the consistent finding for trans-racially and trans-nationally adopted children? I have received no answer. Further, how do these many variables all combine to produce the same racial pattern worldwide? Naming environmental variables isn't a behavior genetics argument. Where are your sources showing the magnitude of the effect of each variable and the combinations in different places? I would have happily addressed non-Western ideas of intelligence and the cross-cultural validity of IQ, addressing your field minority POV Sternberg references, if you had not immediately locked the IQ thread after raising the point. Clearly you cannot discuss so must simply silence those who question your diktats.

I was in the middle of addressing it when you locked it because I can contradict your POV.

The survey is incidental to the discussion. I am trying to engage scientifically here. I have asked how your "argument": naming some environmental variables, explains the consistent trans-national, trans-racial pattern, to provide data quantifying the effect of your variables, showing how they distribute and combine from place to place. You say I have "no bearing in science" while engaging in pseudoscience. You say I fail to address points while failing to address points. Prove me wrong and address my question. The fact is that you are emotionally invested in "no genetic cognitive differences" and characterise anyone who questions that as some kind of immoral person. I am simply trying to get at the truth using science. You are engaging in ad hominem, genetic fallacy, cherry picking, argument from authority etc. etc. then calling me a pseudoscientist. Please feel free instead to simply address my question.

Yes, because the mod is a POV pushing pseudoscientific hypocritical liar.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  20. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Why do the cranks always post such transparent falsehoods? Phill, you many times tried to stop people discussing race in your other thread even though you were the one who introduced it. So, yes, you were trying to avoid discussion of the original post.
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Nobody's position here is supported by Pol Pot.
    Yes, you did. You used a sociological definition of race - "self identification" - that is based on skin color. (You also drew cluster boundaries on a genetic clustering map with no visible criteria other than presumed skin color - if anyone had any doubts about where you were getting your notion of "race" from, which nobody does).
    There is no reason other people with plausible ideas of known mechanism and obvious data support would have to disprove your implausible notions of unknown mechanism and no data support. It is up to you to provide at least some argument and evidence for your less plausible notions, to counteract the apparent and visibly supported notions of others.

Clearly several of the listed environmental influences on IQ score vary by sociological race in some known circumstances, for example (in the US: breastfeeding, neurotoxin exposure, omega 3/6 dietary ratio, and stereotype threat, just for example) whereas you have offered not a single genetic mechanism that varies likewise - let alone one independent of the environmental influences listed, a matter you have completely overlooked.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  22. PhysBang Valued Senior Member

Holy crap, religion is caused by genes!

23. Bells Staff Member

You spent nearly two pages avoiding the points you raised in the OP.

I have provided you with various and numerous scientific studies and papers, all of which do not support your argument in this thread. The survey you posted in the OP does not even support your argument. Once all environmental factors are added up, they beat the genetic factor by a fairly large margin. Even the people who did the survey noted this in the paper you linked.

What is absolutely disingenuous and dishonest of them (and you) is that they deliberately chose to break down the many environmental factors so that the "genes" answer rated higher. But if you add up all the environmental issues that do affect intelligence, that clearly beats the genetic factor.

In that regard, you chose to further perpetuate the myth and the dishonesty in that survey because it clearly supports your ideology.

Nobody's position in this thread is supported by Pol Pot.

Your comparison and argument is quickly becoming very childish. What's going to be next? Yo mama insults?

And you have repeatedly defined race by skin colour.

I have provided you with links to various studies and papers that not only list the environmental factors that do affect intelligence, but some of them also went into detail in explaining how and why.

Studies have shown that children who are adopted, even into different cultures, will result in an increase in their intelligence - this was also supported by many links earlier on in the thread. The reason they found is that children from poor backgrounds being raised in a wealthier setting will see an increase in their intelligence. This is clearly not something that is affected by genes but is affected by the child's environment.

There is no racial pattern world wide. Firstly, there is no such thing as "race" within Homo sapiens biologically. Secondly, you are applying a Western test, to non-Western countries who have different education levels and who value intelligence very very differently culturally. This was also supported by various papers linked and quoted for you.

In short, you are basing your argument on a false premise to begin with and you keep making the same argument that has absolutely no support scientifically aside from in the white supremacist circles.

And no, you had consistently refused to address your mistakes that are, well, your views and opinions.

Frankly, if you don't like how I manage this sub-forum, you can always go back to your white supremacist forum.

But if you post here, then you had better be able to support your argument with science. Thus far, you have failed to do so.

You have yet to contradict anyone's point of view with actual science in this thread. You don't even seem to understand the basic fundamentals of biology for one and you clearly appear to not understand what you are posting or arguing.

Once again, if you had bothered to read the various links which take you directly to scientific studies and papers, you would have gotten the answers you keep asking for and which we have kept answering, only for you to ignore those answers and links, to then ask the questions again.

And your argument is not scientifically based. Your obvious bigotry is feeding what anyone in their right mind would classify as pseudoscience. You keep arguing about "race" when there is no such thing as "race" biologically and it has been repeatedly explained and demonstrated to you, backed up with links, that race is a social and political construct. Repeating the same question while ignoring all the answers you have been given does not help you in this discussion. I would suggest you go back and read through the links that have been provided.

Why do you think I am emotionally invested in this discussion? Appealing to this kind of thing just continues to weaken your argument.

And if you do not want to be accused of posting like a "pseudoscientist", then I would suggest you back up your argument with actual science. For example, establish how "race" exists biologically. You are yet to prove race exists. We have provided you with enough scientific material to show and prove that race does not exist in biology. You refused to acknowledge known science and you instead refer to what can only be defined as crackpot ideology that is clearly based and dependent upon your personal views of people from other cultures. In other words, don't post like a "pseudoscientist".

I have science to back me up. You have what, exactly? A survey that is published on a website, run by two people who started the website to bypass peer review, that is badly represented and a series of white supremacists who take money from organisations that support white supremacism, to fund their research.

As I said, back up your claims with science. Leave the woo out of it.

PhysBang, EgalitarianJay and origin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.