Surface gravity on Mars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by domesticated om, Feb 14, 2011.

1. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

A couple of questions is inspired by the recent manned Mars simulation that's in progress.

1. As I understand it, 0 gravity is harmful to human physiology. Is Mars's reduced gravity equally as harmful too, or is it one of those things where it sufficient without the need for aggressive countermeasures (like vigorous exercise & dietary modifications/meds)?

2. The level of Mars's surface gravity is said to be at around the midpoint between the moon's gravity and Earth's. What exactly would that be like? can you describe a few of the phenomena you would encounter in day to day living --- like would walking be different? If your pencil falls off your desk while you're working, what happens to it? can you jump off taller objects without any problems?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Isn't Mars' gravity .6 that of Earth's? I am not going to Wiki it- the OP should have. Things will be moving more slowly, that's all. Watch astronauts on the moon- they all look like they're moving in slow motion- that is the effect of the moon's gravity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

The Martian gravity is only ~40% of Earth's vs ~16% on the moon, so you could jump about twice as far on Mars as you could on Earth.

The apparent slow motion has probably more to do more with the pressurized space suits then the gravity, but it is true you accellerate slower so there is that effect, but I don't recall an astronaut ever getting high enough in a jump so that would be noticable, but you can clearly see the effects when they drop the hammer and feather for instance.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6926891572259784994#

Astronauts in weightless conditions for long periods of time can lose significant amounts of bone and muscle mass even if they exercise a lot and so far we don't know if the gravity on Mars is strong enough to avoid this. A satellite to help explore this issue, with White Mice in a revolving container to simulate Martian gravity was cancelled due to lack of funding.

Arthur

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Correct, you start losing bone mass rather quickly without gravity. There are other physiological changes as well that harm the body.

Sice there's little atmosphere on Mars you'll be bombarded by radioactive particles when your outside your protected living quarters. You''ll need to supply your own oxygen as well since there's none there.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

Wow they took a feather (organic material) to the moon I wonder if they would still do that today or perhaps in the future on mars.

But it would be pretty safe at night and with phobos having 2/3 the apparent size of our full moon it won't be pitch dark either

9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

That's 2/3 the angular diameter which works out to 0.44 the area. Now add in that Phobos' albedo is 0.58 that of the Moon and that sunlight is 0.44 times as intense at Mars' distance than it is at Earth's and you end up with Phobos providing ~11% of the illumination of a full Moon.

And that's when Phobos is full and directly overhead. Since Mars' radius is a significant fraction of the the radius of Phobos' orbit, this drops to ~5.5% when Phobos is near the horizon. This means its illumination will vary with its passage and its maximum brightness will vary with the lattitude from which it is observed.

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

You might be right there 11% of 0.27 lux isn't much to see by, still night missions might still help to reduce radiation exposure

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They took food as well just as they will when they go to Mars, what is the big deal? :shrug:

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

Their could be bacteria on it for starters Like on the surveyor 3 lander where bacteria survived for years on the lunar surface.

I'm sure that if you dropped a exthremophile at the right place preferably near the base where waste heat could perhaps melt some water (astonauts are sure to move ice near their base and their are plenty of salts in the martian soil so the lifeforms could potentially stay alive for years contaminating the area around it.

That is the biggest reason I can think of

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They also left their human waste on the moon as well. When they take off from the moon to return to Earth they leave everything that they used up behind. Think about that cotamination if a meteor hits one of the 10 landing craft and its contents are spewn all over the place!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  14. orcot Valued Senior Member

Yeah your making jokes now but as long as terraforming and colonisation are impossible the search of life will be the main (official) reason to visit mars, to that end it's better to keep organic material and whatever life that is on it away from the enviroment

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I was referring to the effects from gravity in particular. I just wanted to see a few examples of the gravitational behaviors of things you'd be likely to encounter living there.
    Dealing with the nastier aspects of the environment are a given (its super cold, radioactive, etc).... my questions take for granted those problems already being taken care of, and what normal life would be like. Let's assume the colony lives in a gigantic sealed-environment type compound.

Pencil falling off the desk was one. Normally here on earth, the pencil falls, bounces once or twice, then possibly rolls for a short distance. On mars, am I going to end up having to chase my pencil all the way across the room?

If I'm running a sink full of water to do dishes, will the behavior of the splashing water be dramatically different (will i be forced to wear a bib when I'm scrubbing LOL). What about boiling water on the a stove....are lids going to become crucial?

I dunno --- those are the kinds of things I'm wondering about.

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Some effects of reduced gravity.
    An improved standing high jump. Improved vertical leap for basketball players. An athlete weighs less & his muscles can supply the same vertical force. Not sure about the effects on the running high jump.

The broad jump & 100 meter dash would suffer. Horizontal force for running depends on friction with the ground & is proportional to the weight of the athlete. Mass of the athlete (resistance to force) is the same on the earth, Mars, Luna, and/or when weightless in a space station. On some surfaces, spiked shoes would partially or fully (?? here) restore the amount of horizontal force an athlete could apply.

Note that when weightless, spiked shoes would not help much, if at all. In a nearly weightless environment, they would result in only restoring a small percentage of the possible horizontal force.

Some SciFi author described an inexperienced astronaut seriiously injuring himself by building up speed using hand rails in a space ship corridor. When he came to a right turn, he could not slow down enough to avoid a painful collison with a wall. He did not realize that his mass/inertia was the same as always, even though he was weightless.

You could hit a golf ball farther on Luna. ?? As far as indicated by theoretical calculations ?? Not sure about the latter.​

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

40% gravity is better than zero gravity, but you'll still need to get plenty of exercise if you plan to come back to Earth at some point.

Walking around would feel a bit different. Your feet won't be pulled back towards the ground as quickly as they are on Earth, so there will be some sort of "slow motion" feeling. Also, it will be easier to leave the ground inadvertantly if you push off too vigorously with your back foot.

Pencils falling off a desk won't be too different. They'll fall more slowly to the floor, but won't bounce much higher (I'd guess). Rolling won't be affected, since the floor surface and atmosphere inside where you're using the pencil will be the same as on Earth.

You could jump off a higher object than on Earth without risking serious injury because you accumulate speed at a slower rate as you fall than you do on Earth and it is impact speed that ultimately determines whether you are injured.

It depends. Pressurised water from a tap may well splash up higher than it does on Earth, and take longer to fall back into the sink. Vigorous pot scrubbing may lead to spashback.

Presumably the air pressure inside the living quarters on Mars will be the same as on Earth, so water will boil at the same temperature in much the same way.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes. If the gravity is 1/3 as much, you can hit a golf ball about 3 times as far.

19. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

With no air resistance you could hit it MUCH further than that.

Arthur

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The figure I gave is without air resistance.

21. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Then your figure is wrong.

The ball is hit with the SAME velocity/angle in both situations, but because of the lower gravity the ball is in flight much longer on the moon and because there is no air resistance on the moon to slow it down, the horizontal velocity remains constant during this much longer flight time, while the horizontal speed of the ball on the earth decreases from the moment it leaves the club.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/10/could_you_really_hit_a_golf_ba.php

This example shows a golfer who could hit ~300 yds on the earth would hit it about 40 times further on the moon.

Arthur

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As I said, the figure I quoted was without air resistance - on Earth or Mars or the Moon.

The range of a projectile on flat ground, in the absence of air resistance, is inversely proportional to the gravitational acceleration. So, decreasing the gravitational acceleration by a factor of 3 increases the range by a factor of 3.

You are correct that Mars has a thinner atmosphere than the Earth, and the Moon has practically no atmosphere. Air resistance on Earth has a signficant effect on the range of a hit golf ball. If you go to the Moon, the difference in range will be 6 times due to the difference in gravity, but probably multiplied a few more times for the effects of air resistance.

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Well then your answer was just silly.

This is SCI forums remember?

You can't just pretend there is no air resistance on the Earth.

Which is why your answer was more than a magnitude off.

Arthur