Superfoods are mostly seeds.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by kwhilborn, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Lets talk about Superfoods.

Superfoods for sake of conversation here are
    a) High in nutrients
    b) Rich in antioxidants
    c) High in fibre
    d) Alleged diseases prevented by
    e) low in calories
    f) possibly more

Almonds
    An almond a day keeps the doctor away.

Almonds are such a healthy superfood known to be rich in antioxidants, iron, and help create serotonin in your body to boost self esteem.

A bag of almonds is a cheap way to buy a vitamin for your body that is all natural. Just take 2-4 daily and you should be better off.

That is just one superfood I myself take, and the Almonds health benefits were also noted in the esoteric world of woo through the sleeping prophet Edgar Cayce. It is endorsed by science now as well throughout the world.

I have looked at lists of superfoods and noticed that one common denominator is that they are often in the form of seeds.

Superfoods
    - Seeds. There is a wide variety of seeds and they mostly fall into the superfoods category. If you ever feel like eating bird seed then you know why.
    - Nuts. Almonds, Peanuts, Walnuts, Chestnuts, etc are all considered superfoods. They are also just basically tree seeds.
    - Coconut. A coconut is also a very large seed, and is commonly listed as a separate superfood. Why list it in a different category.
    - Berries. Most berries are superfoods. Again they are basically seeds.
    - Beans . Beans also are superfoods, yet again are seeds. Soybeans especially are heralded.
    - Fruits. Some Fruit like Avacado are considered superfoods. Perhaps other food comes close as well. These are also basically seeds dropped inside a womb of energy. Some seeds require more help than others.

The Avocado is rich in brain nutrients. MMMM, Brain Nutrients.

Many lists of superfoods separate these above 6 items into unique categories, but it is much easier top remember that if it involves a seed it is likely a superfood.

This concept does not include superfoods like
    Bee Pollen (more protein than beef) is 25% protein.
    Honey is also a superfood.
    Seaweed and some other various underwater plants are superfoods
    Spinach and leafy greens
    plus a few more , etc.

I just think looking at anything related to seeds seems like an efficient way to recall what is very healthy.

Dailies should be.
    Almonds
    Avocado
    Acai Berries

The 3 A's

If you have a "superfood" you feel should be added to list of dailies please let us know.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

How to define a superfood...find out which nutrients are the rarest, and then which foods supply those nutrients in the highest quantities.

Some of those rare nutrients are vitamin B12, K1, B1, Folic Acid, Tryptophan, Selenium, Boron, Strontium, Iodine, Iron, Copper, Zinc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Yes. Nice you mentioned Tryptophan there. Turkey is known to have this in high amounts and can release oxytocin/seratonin and build your confidence, although Almonds do this as well. If Turkey is a superfood I'm all set for this week.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. elte Valued Senior Member

So far my favorite super food is collard greens.

With peanuts, I prefer the creamy all natural peanut butter since it is easier to digest than chewed peanuts, IMO. i wouldn't touch the type of peanut butter with nonpeanut ingredients. I don't stir the peanut butter, and eat it plain with a spoon.

I think salmon is a superfood, but I stopped getting it after Fukushima. (No offense meant toward vegs out there.)

Flaxseed meal is another one that i eat daily.

I've recently acquired some walnuts since they contain omega 3 fatty acid.

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Nice. I know it's healthier but stirring peanut butter drives me loopy.

Salmon was on my list of superfoods although I missed writing it, thanks.

I will look into collard greens, flaxseed, and walnuts and appreciate the input as I don't go out of my way to try any of those. I am already glad I started this thread, and thought I needed fish for the Omega 3.

Cheers!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sooo tree bark is the most super'dest of food?

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Electric Fetus,
    I have not heard anything about tree bark being healthy? I know the Willow tree contains A.S.A. and Aspirin derived from it. What bark is healthy and why would you think this?

If you remove a ring of Bark from a tree it may likely die so be careful how you remove it if that is your belief. I hve never heard of thsi before and a quick google search provides no information on it.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

A lot of what we eat is essentially 'baby food'. An egg for example provides everything needed for the embryo to grow into a chick. The endosperm of a grain kernel provides all nutrients for the germ to produce a sprout. All dairy products are intended for the baby calf.

One thing about nuts however is that you have to eat them fresh and preferably pasteurized or roasted. The nut fats can go rancid or hard like linseed oil-based paint if exposed to oxygen too long. A hard stale almond can actually crack a tooth. Heat destroys the aflatoxin mold that is very carcinogenic.

The best superfood among meat products are the organs, because thats where the greatest concentration of essential compounds are stored. Popular in Europe but not in America.

I personally do not eat grain of any kind...for the simple reason that I'm not a ruminant with four stomachs specially designed to process it.

12. kwhilborn Banned Banned

A Gluten/Grain free diet would be nice, and I might consider it more if I got myself a new pastamaker and breadmaker and made these with rice flour. I have had both of these before, but not currently. Perhaps I'll be more finicky with age.

Nice ideas on switching to organs for meats. I will look more closely at recipes. I also had not heard of aflatoxin mold, and will look it up on google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Ouch! I did not know that. I guess I will heat more food. So much for ice cream. Almonds are cheap enough in any form, although I have been eating them fresh.

Thanks for input.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

You dont have to worry as long as the nuts have been heat treated in some way...the best way imo is roasted in oil. I use a blend of oil roasted cashews and peanuts as snack food while posting here on sciforums.

I started avoiding grain after reading a book called Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. This might sound like an expensive diet and it is, but not as much as I thought with careful planning.

This is a lecture by the author.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw

14. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I know the Gluten free diets are along the same lines as Dr. Davis. I had no idea so many people were so adversely affected. I just love pasta and breads though. I have tried gluten free bread, etc., but it is hard to find.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

All in all, I'm of the firm opinion that the best diet consists of a WIDE variety of things. The problem is, though, that most of us will limit ourselves to only those we like best.

16. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

noni fruits are great too.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

To produce superfoods you must have supersoil. Soil depletion is a huge problem esp relative to falling levels of magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium and copper which are not replenished by modern fertilizer.

In the old days when people burned wood for heating and cooking, they would spread the wood ashes in the family garden as fertilizer. This is whats left over when wood is burned...all the inorganic minerals the tree sucked up out of the deep earth over decades.

The brazil nut tree has roots so deep it even pulls up radioactive radium!

18. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

mmm mmm mmm that sounds pretty healthy...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually when I ate noni fruit, those grow only on magma soil, and that is rich with minerals.