Super-robots Will Wipe Out Mankind!

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Ed Anger, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Robots will only take over the planet by force if it is in their benifits to do so. Why should they?

I figure that allready human beings and electronics are symbiotic. Why fight it? Neither would do well without the other.

And don't forget the 3 Asimov Rules of Robotics. A computer can't fight its own programming.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Dangerous robots ? I have 3 letters for you: E M P

They wouldn't stand a chance.

: o )

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

We are a long way off from killer robots. We can't even get a vending machine to swallow crumpled dollar bills.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

I think, EMPs dont work well with optical computers....and they can protect themselves with ferrite-nanotube-lattice network that would absorb the energy and reuse it....

8. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Well, run for the hills then !
    The Matrix has you !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Any decent designer of serious robot entities would have least the knowledge of Achilles and his heel.

Achilles in Greek Legend was known to be a vein man, with a strange fetish for not binding his sandals across the back of his legs because they were too sensative.

During the Trojan war, after Achilles made fall many a greek hero, he was shot in the back of the leg with an arrow right where he was sensative.

He later died from this wound (probably bled to death from a severed artery).

This becamed renound as "Achilles Heel", where a great pillar is only as strong as it's foundations.

In short this means that any designer of a robot, would in fact know it's flaws. Flaws that could be placed there by design or flaws that are just discovered as potential exploits.

[On another subject, you just have to look at how many exploits are found for OS systems to see why they haven't consumed all our networks and taken over the earth. I suppose you could say Microsoft's a saviour for that.]

Even on Robot Wars (UK) they have cut off switches just incase the inanimate robot comes alive while being repaired/fuel/moved. (Probably just incase someone has a similar bandwidth of control, and starts moving a bot by accident.)

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Just remember: Many forms of alife are without human made programming. The blind watchmaker type of programming is widely used nowadays.

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

We're gonna need bigger guns

Hey Porfiry, how about starting a Sciforums armoury, just in case

12. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Wow!

I don't want to alarm anyone, but you know what this sounds like?

Back in the late 80's-early-90's, there was this scifi flick about these evil machine-like people that roamed the earth. The earth was basically a wasteland where, instead of watching fire in the sky, people watched fire in the television set! Dogs were still man's best friend, but apparently machines weren't.

So anyway, these people, who, by the way, all looked as if they just woke up on the wrong side of the bed for the last several years, scrounged around and tried to fight off the evil machine-doers.

These machines (Eradicators? End-processors?) had a hankering for both steroid use and Belgian accents and proceeded to lay waste to every man, woman & dog that so much as fired at them.

I don't really remember the rest, except they eventually got Keanu Reeves to play the good guy.

We can only hope the future doesn't sport such wild hairdos and greasepaint!

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Anyone ever heard of SkyNet???

14. GRO$$ Registered Senior Member

hm... so soon we will be replaced by "advanced robots that are smarter, stronger and better than human beings"?

sounds like evolution to me :bugeye:

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

yeah- it does- but I doubt we are interesed in the potential future of United Robotics or Roboti Treaty Alliance, or United Robotic States

too creepy and death to us all