Sunscreen - possibly worse than sunburn?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Kittamaru, May 9, 2015.

1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay... normally I scoff at articles like this, but a few friends of mine who are doing quite well swearing by alternative medicines and homeopathy combined with limited use of traditional medicine have stated this to be true... so I'm curious:

http://wakeup-world.com/2014/05/10/burn-health-impacts-of-sunscreen-worse-than-uv-damage/

Now... some of it just sounds like bullshit... so I have to ask - how much of this is fact, and how much of it is just supposition?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

I burn easily, and rarely use sunscreen as I have sensitive skin and every one i tried in the past irritated my skin. Lately, I've tried one whose sole active ingredient is Titanium Dioxide.
    I've a roof to replace this summer, so when mowing the lawn I've tried using sunscreen on only one side of my face---inconclusive so far---maybe I need to spend more'n an hour outside?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I do not use anything. What I do is limit my time in the sun and when I sit outside in the sun. I try to get the sun before 10:30 AM then retreat inside until 3:30 PM then return outside for another 30 minutes in the sun. 30 minutes is all I go out into the direct sunlight at a time. So far I've never burned with this strategy and have a decent browning.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*nod* reason I ask is my wife has gotten Sun Poisoning before and, well, we're trying to avoid having any issues with skin cancer down the road.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Everyone's skin is different so the way I sunbathe might not be the way you should. Just try 15 minute in the sun at a time and no more than twice a day. That should avoid sun poisoning but again we are all different so beware.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yep yep - I tend to burn way too easily on my back, but the rest of my tans fairly normally... just shocked me reading that article is all. Then again, I'm also coming to find that, supposedly, antiperspirant is apparently super-duper bad for you as well because of the aluminium in it... which sucks because I sweat like a 500 pound man running a marathon without it!

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

There are many alternative medicines that work just fine. Homeopathy on the other hand is pure pseudoscience crap, it is essentially hand waving magical thinking.