Sun revolves around what?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by zekar, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zekar Registered Member

does the Sun revolve around anything? (please don't say the Earth!) i know it's going around the center of the Milky Way with all the other stars in the spiral arms, but is our solar system going around anything on a smaller scale?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Not that I am aware of. There are no large masses nearby with sufficient gravity to cause our solar system to orbit said mass. The nearest star is over 4 lightyears away, and its gravity is not nearly strong enough capture our sun or solar system in an orbit. There are other stars with small gravitational attractions pulling us in different directions, so they kind of cancel out. On a larger scale, our Milky Way and many other galaxies are being drawn toward a huge mass named 'The Great Attractor'. I'm not sure if orbital motion is involved is this collapse, or if it is 'straight line' motion more or less. I think straight line motion is all that has been detected.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

I can't claim complete knowledge on the subject, but I have not seen any information on solar relvolution other than around the center of the milky way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lucas Registered Senior Member

It revolves around the Solar System center of mass (which curiously, lies inside the same Sun)

8. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

As Alice might have said, "this is getting interestinger and interestinger.".

Lucas is exactly right, of course, but in addition, the sun is also revolving, or, rotating, I'm not sure of which word I properly want to use, around the center of mass of the entire universe.

So, even though the gravitational effect of the entire universe is miniscule, it is there, and it will be interesting to see what rigorous mathematical solution would reveal.

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

Where is the center of mass of the entire universe? Personally. I am a little skeptical - I don't think there is such a thing.

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The sun revolves around me. Just ask anyone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. BSFilter Nature has no kindess/illwill Registered Senior Member

Would any mass remain at the middle, where the big bang occurred?

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There is no middle. Not really. At least, there's no place where the big bang "happened".

The big ban didn't happen in space.
    It happenned to space.

You know. The analogy of the expanding balloon with the surface of the balloon being space. The center of the balloon isn't empty space. It isn't space at all.

Oh. And by the way. Blobrana and some others would probably be able to give the exact names as I can't quite recall, but the Milky Way is closing in on several other galaxies(?), star clusters(?), interstellar clouds(?). I forget the details. I'm pretty sure it's called the local group though. Or maybe it's just part of the local group.

Is one of them the something Magellanic Cloud? And Andromeda Galaxy?

Anyway.
    The point is that I bet they're sort of orbiting together. In a way. Something like a spiral if seen from far enough away and over long enough time spans.

Just a guess of course.

The idea of the universe as a firework with the various embers swirling about each other in ballet-like movements is... quite awe-inspiring.

Such amazing things are taking place in such a brief and fiery instant, yes?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

An object rotates about its own center. We would say "center of gravity" to be precise but the words were coined long before physics was that sophisticated.

An object revolves about another object. Again, we would say it revolves around the center of gravity of the whole system, and again nobody knew about that when the word was invented.

The point is that if the center of the rotation/revolution is inside the body, it's rotation. If it's inside another body, it's revolution. If it's somewhere between them, the choice of words depends on the context and the point one is trying to illustrate. I would say that the system is rotating but the objects are revolving, but that's just me.

14. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Do we know what exactly this "Great Attractor" that the milky way revolves around is? And how do we get pictures of the milky way? Have we sent a probe out far enough to take pictures, or are they just renderings based on our knowledge of where stars and systems are?

15. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

The farthest out man-made object, Voyager 1, is approximately 13 light hours from Earth. The Milky Way is approximately 100,000 light years in diameter. Hence, renderings.

16. Vega Banned Banned

the sun along with the rest of the solar system drift around the milky towards the center of the galaxy where a super massive black hole rests!!

17. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php
    That link may help one understand.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

After all, it's going to take quite a while for our probes to travel 100,000 light years.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

And then it will take 100,000 years for the transmissions from said probes to reach us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.