Sulphonamide group - water molecules with hydrogen bonds?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by CatherineW, Apr 11, 2010.

1. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Hi, I'm doing an Open University course and I'm very confused about one question:

I have to make a copy of the structure in the picture to show two water molecules bonded to it by hydrogen bonds: one through a hydrogen atom of a water molecule and the other through the oxygen atom of a water molecule.

Where would the water molecules be bonded to on this sulphonamide group?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Not a chemist, Trippy might be able to respond better.

I suspect that they are looking for where the sulphonamide molecule will develop a slight charge differential due to bonding.

The cyclic 6-carbon with 3 double-bonds is typically very sharing of the electrons, and would not have that slight differential. Likewise, the N groups (amides) tend to be fully covalently bonded, without a charge differential. I presume the R stands for a carbon chain of some sort. That leaves the S, which has 6 bonds. I believe the O attachments to it would end up with the electrons spending more time around the S, leaving the O slightly charged. So the water molecules, which also have slight charge-differential across the width of the molecule, will 'Hydrogen-bond' at the exposed part of the O (away from the S). Right, Trippy?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.