Suicide

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by notme2000, Dec 15, 2002.

1. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I brought up the question because of this:

I had been suicidal for 7 years of my life. For 7 years I was positive it was the best conclusion for myself, however I did not because I did not want to put my loved ones through that kind of pain... My suicide thoughts had nothing to do with feeling unloved or anything, but life seemed nothing but a burden, a job that was expected of me. And I felt like calling in sick. But these days I'm alot closer to the Bhuddha mindset, so to speak, as oposed to the suicidal one. But I feel like I'm walking on eggshells, like any second I'll be back to my old suicidal self. I can't figure out if this new-found hapiness and confidence is real or an illusion... 7 years of experience had me pretty set in my beliefs...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

its nither brave or cowerdly

its a form of maddness

this is from someone who most people here know almost did it and was only saved thanks to some of the members here

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

As,
    How can we know for certain hapiness isn't madness? Just in a favorable form...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

who knows but my point is its not a rational choice

i can give details of what i mean but i would rather not

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

jps:
    Why not?

True.

As I do.

Yourself.

Merlot.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thor:
    I think it's a bit of both, and I think it's just a matter of priorities.
    Sometimes, life just is not worth living.

Selfishness is good.
    Besides that, if you can't be selfish about your life, what is the point of anything?

notme2000:
    I know the feeling. I feel it fairly constantly, but I know why and I fix that.

Asguard:

Suicide is not at all a form of madness. For many, it's the only sanity they'll ever experience.

9. jps Valued Senior Member

As good a reason as any I suppose.

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

t kind of depends on what kind of suicide it is. If its the kind where a lonely person blows out their brains, yeah that's wrong.

But if its the kind where you know your going to die a long horrible death then its okay in my book. People deserve to die with dignity. You go Mr. K!

11. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

"There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that
    is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts
    to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the
    rest---whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether
    the mind has nine or twelve catagories---comes afterwards."
    -Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Myth Of Sisyphus is what inspired me to start this thread actually.

13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

I encourage suicide though I would not do it myself. The world has too many people and the fewer the better, provided there is enough to maintain at least one vibrant civilization on the planet.

The downfall of another is most often to my slight benifit. There is less competition for jobs, rescources, and mates. By animal side bids you to your task.

14. moonman Registered Senior Member

I'll just put down some thoughts.

Is life absurd? Yes it's quite riculouse!

In my opinion humans are just too handy and innovative for their own good! We harness fire, instantly we cannot immagine living without it. We invent electricity to make living so much easier, how did they ever amage before?? We build electron microscopes to discover the workings of matter.
    But to get our part of this comfortable world we work, work for the people who hold the rights to that comfort and who sell it to us so that we will do their work for them...
    And now the moment you are born, you are given a name and a number and are expected to live your life working for those people who's job you are to do. They have people making sure that other people are dependent on them to live.
    For the most part this dependence is mental, taught to us from birth.
    Now does this make sense? nope, its just stupid to me. And you know what the worst thing is, I couldn't imagine living without these comforts and am therefore a slave, a slave to the system and myself. Ridiculouse.

So why do people kill themselves? This is verry individual, but in the end it probably ammounts to people who are not a part of society and believe they are not good enough for it. Or people who realize how absurd this all is and that they cannot live with out it and the only way to escape is not to live at all.

So the root of all evil- Society.

15. jps Valued Senior Member

moonman,

you should read Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut.
    One of the main themes in it is the idea that human intelligence is an evolutionary mistake that eventually goes away.

16. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Ooh! That sounds interesting! Maybe I'll pick up a copy of that book soon!

17. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

This mortal coil

"To die, to sleep...To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay there's the rub, for in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause..."
    This agonizing statement from a suicide contemplating Hamlet is my favorite line of Shakespeare's.

One that chooses death over life is indeed the bravest of men. It is a testament to the incredible will humans can possess.

Yet it is also an act of extreme cruelty to the others in your life.

Has anyone read "The sorrows of young werther" by Goethe? One of my favorite books, I highly recommend it. I believe Goethe was trying to show the selfishness of werther...but I ended up admiring him when it was over.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

notme2000,

People commit suicide because they cannot stand anymore the hurt. They don't choose to die because they don't want, they choose to die because they can't even stand to breath anymore. I have been there many times... (today included!!!). I completly lost my breath and couldn't breath anymore. I had to go, sit down quietly and start to concentrate myself. It was hurting so much that I couldn't stand anymore. I looked at my mind and saw that I've created a system of belief based on people that were misunderstood and finished crazy. I remembered that one night, last week, I though and believed that I was going to finish or crazy, or dead. In less than a week, the process began. So, when I found that out, I emptied my mind and controlled my thoughts. I started to set up another belief - that I can be happy despite of all the hurt. It has been working for some 3 hours...

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"I looked at my mind and saw that I've created a system of belief based on people that were misunderstood and finished crazy. I remembered that one night, last week, I though and believed that I was going to finish or crazy, or dead. In less than a week, the process began."

Nelson, from all the experiences I've heard about (mainly through my mom and her old friends from the psych ward), insane people would never say they are insane. If you are capable of and actually do say to yourself that you are "insane" or "crazy" - you aren't. And I say this with absolutely no solid proof to back me, but I firmly believe that it is likely true. It's like people who think they're "individualistic" or "original". They generally aren't.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I don't think I'm insane... but I had my mind set to be insane. In this sense, my thoughts were leading to insanity... and I didn't know that...

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Different people commit suicide for different reasons. The ones who commit suicide because life is unbearable is tragic. But what about the ones who commit suicide simply because they have no reason to live it? They're in no real pain or suffering, life is completely bearable... They just don't see a point in bearing it... We die in the end anyway, what's the point of prolonging life?

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's a horrible though... Why would someone think like that!?

23. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Why is that horrible? It may be detrimental to life, but who says life is an ultimate good? That was my question, is what if those who commit suicide are the ones who actually "get it".

(Not that I'm about to go commit suicide, just been reading alot of Albert Camus)