Suicide

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by notme2000, Dec 15, 2002.

1. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

You're pretty much backing me up now. So no argument from me, lol.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Just making sure the concept is crystal clear.

I would say the will does the work.

Doh! No I have to reply again to see the text.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Will is the mind working to fullfill the heart's desire.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Only your heart knows your hearts desires. Though this takes a pure heart. Other wise it can get you in alot of trouble. But it is through the Wisdom mind that the heart will be purified. They work as a system.

Your heart will point you in the right direction (Lead you). But it does take the intellectual mind and the wisdom mind to get you there. I was commenting on the sickness when one controls what there heart feels through there mind, meaning they think there emotions. Ei: I think I am in love....lmao there is no thought involved with feeling an emmotion. You dig?
    The heart should never be ignored it should alwasy be addressed, but it may be overuled by the wisdom mind. Just as the intellectual mind may be overuled by the heart mind. The wisdom mind is allways presiding though.

The heart will tell you what it wants but it is up to the intellectual mind and the wisdom mind to get what it needs.

8. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Only your heart knows your hearts desires. Though this takes a pure heart. Other wise it can get you in alot of trouble. But it is through the Wisdom mind that the heart will be purified. They work as a system.

Your heart will point you in the right direction (Lead you). But it does take the intellectual mind and the wisdom mind to get you there. I was commenting on the sickness when one controls what there heart feels through there mind, meaning they think there emotions. Ei: I think I am in love....lmao there is no thought involved with feeling an emmotion. You dig?
    The heart should never be ignored it should alwasy be addressed, but it may be overuled by the wisdom mind. Just as the intellectual mind may be overuled by the heart mind. The wisdom mind is allways presiding though.

The heart will tell you what it wants but it is up to the intellectual mind and the wisdom mind to get what it needs.

9. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I agree, and in the system the heart is the sniveling child that all other parts of the system must look after. It their part of the system to look after the heart and decide when to listen to the heart. The heart's only job is to feel, blindly I might add.
    Not always. Hate is born from the heart.
    Exactly. So before you listen to your heart you think with your head.
    Ah, over-ruled, a much better word.
    So, in other words... The heart wants and the brain achieves... Like I said...

10. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Hate is mudding the heart. The heart does not function properly if it is closed. Fear, anxiety, despair, anger, obsession all close the heart.

If the heart is open and pure of intention then it will lead you to what you want.

But I think Apathy is the worst thing the heart can feel.

But the wisdom desides if it should.

11. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

This implies that the heart is meant to be open... Your heart just is. It can be open or closed. Both are equally valid (though we can both agree one less desirable). Hate does not "mudd" the heart, nor does love... It is just 2 possible feelings it can have. So to follow your heart is to walk blindly, as it has no reason.
    ie. The brain

12. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Perhaps I should revise that. Hate is selfish, it is soley for you( An you curl up into a little ball in the corner and close off from the world). It imprisons you. If you are filled with hate, then you will be imprisoned in your own mind. Hate is like gripping yourself na pulling tight.

True love is patient, accepting, embracing, empathitic and open. It sets you free. To be with arms wide open.

It is not a matter of love and hate. It is a matter of a mind being imprisoned or a mind being freed.

Yeah remeber the three minds. They all live in the brain dude.

13. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

And, unless supervised by the brain, the heart will imprison you.
    So what did you bring it up for then?

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Please stick to the topic - suicide.

If you wish to have your personal conversations, there is a pm system...

15. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Remeber how we said they functioned.

Unless the brain is supervised by the heat then it will imprison you. Remember the wisdom persides.

So now the question that begs, is suicide simply the lack of balance between the three minds.

For emmotional suicide I would have to say yes.

Now functional suicide, may be another thing.

16. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

That was the initital question, is suicide done when in a state of delusion, or in the clearest of minds?

17. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

That is what I ment. We have gone over how the mind can desire emmotional suicide.

But what about functional suicide. Though that is an odd thing in itself. When could you functionaly commit suicide?

18. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

When you truly realize that the only way to win the rat-race is to drop out.

Camus claimed suicide was admitting defeat to the absurd, and that Sisyphus could be happy pushing his rock... I was never truly happy with this conclusion... It seems like after everything, he dodged his own question...

19. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

The rat race is a human concept. Life is filled with ups and downs, because there is both up and down it allows you to not need to take it seriously. Life is to absurd to take too seriously.

Well the differnce between our experience and Sisyphus's is that ours will eventually end on its own. We all know the ending to out human life. Death... I think death makes our lives just a little bit less absurd.

Look a Sisypus he knows when he pushes the rock to the top it will fall back down again, so why would he need to worry about anything. But then what does he have to look forward to? But then on the other hand he has the ability to defy the gods by accepting his load with joy. In that sense he can be more powerfull then the gods that have punished him.

20. snowflake Guest

if you think life is absurd then you are looking at it in a very sad way. life is a miracle. if the world the human race has built itself disturbs you (it does me), then instead of suicide - devote your life to trying to change the wrong in the world - and if you cant be bothered with that - then pack your bags and go and live on a desert island - somewhere hot - living from the fish in the sea and the coconuts - surely thats better than ending it all isn't it?

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

I agree with you completely. But I can't completely write off the idea of the absurdity of life... Granted this view is quite sad. But sadness itself is absurd... Behind the miracle of life is a complete void of meaning... To enjoy life you must give life it's own meaning... But is it worth it? "That is the question"

22. Zack_Kinney Registered Senior Member

Well, well. I guess it's time for Mr. Camus to jump in. If you ever read Albert Camus' "the myth of sisyphus", you would know what I am talking about. HE says that those who take their own lives are the ones that have accepted the truth that this was simply too much for them. He also in the beginning explains how he never saw one dying for an ontological argument. He uses Galileo as an example. He says that Galileo, although he held a discovery of great scientific importance, abjured it as soon as it endangered his life. (I am not sure if I said it as the book said.)

Anyway, I view suicide as ethically wrong although it may be justified within the boundaries of personal ethics..

23. proteus42 Registered Senior Member

If you would kindly take just a cursory look at the posts, say, three places above your own, then you could see that Monsieur Camus' name is perhaps not completely unknown to the people taking part in the discussion. Believe it or not, some of them even heard of Sisyphus as well...