Sucking on zinc

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by skaught, Aug 21, 2009.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

If I had say, a zinc deficiency, could I just suck on a chunk of zinc to get the levels up?
    Could or would this work with any mineral?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Anyone?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Eat apples, lots of them, they are rich in zinc. =)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

and umm...sucking on chunk of zinc would probably give you more zinc than you need, but anyways you cant just suck on zinc, you have to get that zinc somehow off the metal into mouth...wine might work, but I wouldnt advise it, its too much zinc.

8. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I had always heard that the body prefers not to have inorganic minerals, like the minerals they put into water to make it taste better. But if your body needed zinc, and you had no other source (such as zinc rich foods), then I could see sucking on a little lozenge of zinc supplement from time to time. (From the supplement isle, not a piece of metal!) lol.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Sucking on Zinc is probably a bad idea, i'm fairly sure that zinc pellets are not bio-available.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you're a meat-eater, zinc usually isn't a big problem, but there are plenty of decent vegetarian sources too. Here are some foods rich in zinc:

Beef
    Oysters
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Shrimp
    Yogurt
    Pumpkin seeds
    Almonds
    Peanuts
    Sunflower seeds

For best absorption, spread the intake over the day. Why is zinc good for your body in smaller doses? Studies are inconclusive, but it seems the body is simply better equipped to handle small, bite-size chunks than the full daily dose in one sitting.

How Much Is Too Much

The RDI for zinc is 11 mg per day for adult men and 9 mg per day for adult women (except pregnant/lactating women, in which case it's 11 and 12 mg per day, respectively). The upper limit for adult men and women is 40 mg/day before it becomes toxic (including pregnant/lactating women.

WIKI

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The minerals they talk about (iron, zinc, whatever) are part of organic molecules. It's not pure zinc they are talking about, your body might not even be able to handle it.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wow.. that's pretty close!

13. draqon Banned Banned

You can also turn into a vampire and suck on the blood of the victim to get the zinc.

14. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Your body mainly uses metal ions. You probably need some sort of zinc salt. I doubt that you would absorb any metallic (non-ionized) zinc by having a chunk of metal in your mouth.

There are many, many inorganic minerals that your body needs to work properly. Like anything else, it's bad if you get too much or too little of them.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member