Substance that will librate CO2

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by chikis, Sep 9, 2012.

1. chikis Registered Senior Member

Suppose we have solution W, X, Y and Z. Their pH are 8, 12, 4 and 2 respectively, from the information given which of the solution W, X, Y and Z will liberate carbon (IV) oxide from trioxocarbonate (IV) salt?
    If you look at the pH scale, we know that acidity increases from 6 to 1 and 7 is neutral. In the other hand, basicity increases from 8 to 14. We all know that, acid react with trioxocarbonate (IV) salt to librate CO2. From the pH scale, we already know that substance Y and Z are acidic having a pH of 4 and 2 respectively. Because of this, Y and Z will have librate CO2 from trioxocarbonate (IV) solution? But I still failed the test. Is there anything am missing?

As for the second question:
    between CaCO3 and CaO, which is best for making mortar?
    I used to think that CaCO3 is good for making mortar simply because another name for it is lime stone which is used in making cement for building. Can CaO be used as well?

Please I need explanation for your answers. Thank you!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wlminex Banned Banned

CaO will combine with neutral water and form CaOH - a basic solution, that can raise solution pH to ~13. BTW: are you calling trioxycarbonate - CaCO3? (Ca-trioxycarbonate)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chikis Registered Senior Member

Is that how to write the chemical formular of Calcium hydroxide? Is it not suppose to be Ca(OH)[sub]2[/sub]?
    Anyway go ahead and make your points.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wlminex Banned Banned

You are correct . . . . didn't take the time to do all the subscripts, etc. Points? Just trying to assist your efforts.

8. chikis Registered Senior Member

But I have not understood anything from what you have asisted so far;-(.