Subliminal Messages

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Rick, Jun 18, 2005.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Most of those subliminal messages are optical illusions. Subliminal messages exist as stimuli that is not perceived by the conscious mind. This is apparant in hypnosis. Subliminal messages are used to hypnotise people. A hypnotist or a commercial advertisement might intentionally be using subliminal messages to hypnotise a person. Then there are normal everyday subliminal messages in nature in which the human functions in a hypntoic state.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jlocke Registered Senior Member

It kind of kills the whole joke when you do that so obviously...but I won't say anything. YES I WILL YOU ARE STUPID!

JLocke

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Which damn joke? I don't know what you are talking about. You are gay!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Oh you got me by posting a blank post and then when I highlight it, OH, you called me gay. I feel so punished....

JLocke

8. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Anything truly below the level of detectable sensation could not, by definition, be perceived. However, the subliminal is generally said to be below the threshold of conscious perception. There is a widespread belief, not strongly supported by empirical research, that without being aware of its presence or content, a person's behavior can be significantly affected by subliminal messages. Thus, it is believed that one can influence behavior by surreptitiously appealing to the subconscious mind with words and images. If this were true, then advertisers could manipulate consumer behavior by hiding subliminal messages in their ads. The government, or Aunt Hilda for that matter, could control our minds and bodies by secretly communicating to us subliminally. Learners could learn while listening to music embedded with subliminal messages. Unfortunately, "...years of research has resulted in the demonstration of some very limited effects of subliminal stimulation" and no support for its efficaciousness in behavior modification (Hines, 312).
    subliminal Pseudo science

In other words BS!.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Them tapes don't work. I had then gadamn tapes and I still am not perfect, still smoke, drink, and have promiscuous sex with multiple partners! O! wait a minute! life is Bliss. LOL...Never mind.

Godless

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Not exactly BS. Hypnosis is a result of subliminal suggestion. You use subliminal messages in hypnosis to influence a person's behavior. You asserted that subliminal messages cannot influence behavior. On the contrary, as I have exemplified, subliminal messages do influence behavior. How is does your assertion not contradict this?

10. jlocke Registered Senior Member

You see, but having something there (aka having text in white) that cannot be seen by someone, is NOT a subliminal message.

JLocke

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Who cares?

12. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Ho hum, looks like I really can't win this one.

JLocke

13. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

It dawns on me so weird, how someone who questions everything, claims to be "objective" such as yourself Cool Skill, would believe in pseudo science, such as "subliminal messages" this is utterly crap. In psychology it's known as a joke!.

General Psychology

click

Pseudo Science

It's bull shit!.

Godless

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Again, you have yet to make a valid point against the effect of subliminal messages. It is apparant that subliminal message have an effect on behaviour. What exactly is it that you are asserting? Try to refrain on providing weak links, and make a point. You are claiming that subliminal messages do not exist, and are BS?

Repeat:
    Not exactly BS. Hypnosis is a result of subliminal suggestion. You use subliminal messages in hypnosis to influence a person's behavior. You asserted that subliminal messages cannot influence behavior. On the contrary, as I have exemplified, subliminal messages do influence behavior. How is does your assertion not contradict this?

15. jlocke Registered Senior Member

How have you exemplified this?

JLocke

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Please read my posts.

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

Don't Inhale - Exhale

you see, you woudnt even notice taknig that in if i got the sizes right

18. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Weak links? LOL... They come from psychologists, and psychiatrists themselves. They practice these proffessions. There's nothing weak about research.

There is often debate among hypnotists about the value and effectiveness of subliminal suggestion. Typically the vehicle of these suggestions is a hypnosis recording of some type where subliminal commands are encoded into the media, which cannot be heard by the listener under normal conditions. The whole concept is based on the supposition that the unconscious mind has a greater perceptual sensitivity than the conscious mind and is able to hear or see what the conscious mind does not. Thus it is intended that conscious critical faculties will be bypassed and that suggestions delivered in this way will be accessible to the unconscious mind uncensored.

The chief argument against the validity of this theory seems to be that subliminal suggestions will fail precisely because they cannot be heard by the conscious mind. This seems to suggest that the unconscious mind either does not accept information that the conscious mind has not first acknowledged, or that suggestions accepted by the unconscious mind are not actuated unless there is preliminary conscious recognition.

Click Ref

*Hypnosis is not particularly effective in gaining additional or special compliance except to the degree that the person already trusts the hypnotist enough or otherwise allow themselves to be guided in elaborate fantasy scenarios that seem particularly real and compelling. Hypnotized people are willing to perform otherwise odd-seeming behaviors when convinced that these are reasonable acts within the context of a compellingly vivid fantasy scenario. They may later regret their actions, just as someone might regret their loss of control at an office party.
    click

Thus the a subject goes along willingly into hypnosis, but won't commit anything that the subject is not willing to do. The power of hynosis is limited.

*Hypnotic suggestion relies greatly, in fact almost entirely, on peripheral influence. By engaging our vivid imagination, eliciting our trust, and encouraging us to explore and become absorbed in fantasized roles, the hypnotist uses our own motivations and willingness to relax to help create the optimum conditions for cooperation. People may do unusual things during or following hypnosis, particularly stage hypnosis, but they are in control. In no sense does hypnosis demonstrate a special power possessed by the hypnotist to force people to do things that is contrary to their own motivations. Their motivations, however, may be influenced by a fantasized role they have allowed themselves to explore in conjunction with the hypnotist, in whom they have implicit trust.
    click

You really don't have nothing, Power of suggestion works best when the conscious mind is aware of it. Proof of that; Well the liar, theieve, and war monger Bush is still in power. Only by conscious suggestion that he would still be the best choice, and the idiots who believed him for religious reasons.

Godless.

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
    This is not proof that subliminal messages are bull.
    It has nothing to do with anything. Therefore, weak.

Subliminal messages pass through conscious perception, and affect behavior without willful effort or realization of the subject. Hypnosis, and and other instances in which sublimnal messages affect behavior subliminally have proven measurable effect.
    Therefore, subliminal messages are not a bull shit fairy tail such as you presume.
    I'm still unsure as to where exactly you are going with your assertion.

20. jlocke Registered Senior Member

It's not conscious perception when we can't see it...

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wow. No kidding. Can you be any more pointless?

22. jlocke Registered Senior Member

No, well I just don't really understand why you are posting all your threads in white. It's just kinda bugging me.....I'm prob just being uptight though...

JLocke

23. jlocke Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005