Study: Sugar may be as addictive as cocaine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cosmictraveler, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

nicotine is one of the most physically adictive substances we know, morphine derivitives (like heroin) would possably come next

so the list would go:
    O2
    sodium and sugar
    nicotine
    morphine

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wrong it is completely valid.
    People getting insufficient sodium on a natrual diet is a load of total bullcrap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

lixluke
    what do you concider to be a natural diet?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Show me you numbers, I gave you mine. 500mg is the bottom end for sodium intake, and like I said, only 10% of our salt comes from fresh produce, so a 'natural' diet that solely consisted of these would put people right at the limit of the required sodium intake.

Stop embarrassing yourself by continually demonstrating your ignorance and detachment from the real world please.

8. John99 Banned Banned

I would really like to know how these stories start. An addiction is an addiction the damage varies and i think that is how people make these claims of one substance being more addictive than another.

I really think any slight variances of what is more addictive is kind of insignificant in the larger picture. Also you have to remember that nicotine is accepted and available all over so that has a psychological impact on that person addicted.

9. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Ooh well said!

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Raw natural foods fruit/veg/herbs etc. no chemicals and no processing. Natural foods have sufficient sodium for the human body.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's a stupid thing to say, actually. 'Natural' means mothers and babies dying during childbirth, because we use 'unnatural' birthing methods now. 'Natural' means people dying of disease, because we treat them with man made pharmaceuticals, and I could go on.

'natural' does not equate to 'better', 'correct' or 'good'.

I'll give you the benefit of doubt since you're new here, but please consider what you agree with, before agreeing, as you might make a bad first impression.

12. John99 Banned Banned

To be clear, everything is natural. A vitamin is processed into a small pill yet it is natural. Harmful substances such as strychnine

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

are natural so perhaps we should coin a new word and revist this terminology to reflect what we now know.

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

As 'everything' includes items that fall into the category 'unnatural' ie things that do not occur in nature, that is a really stupid thing to say, John.

Saccharine is not natural. Isometric fats are not natural, ... need I elucidate further?

14. John99 Banned Banned

oh? is a vitamin natural?

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

Natural ones are, synthetic ones, are, synthetic. What's your point?

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

Sugars addictive for some people. Degree of addictiveness may vary between sugar and cocaine, but addictiveness is definitely there, so I agree.

One of the posters said, addiction to cocaine is overstated and that regular people don't get addicted that easily. I think nothing can be more wrong than this statement;

Rick

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Depends on the type of cocaine. Regular cocaine is not that addictive. Freebase, or 'crack' cocaine is very addictive, so it must be qualified.

Generally, we do not mean 'crack' when we say 'cocaine', we differentiate.

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am not very informed about drugs, because i have never used them; Even during those crazy college days where I was drinking heavily (by heavy, I mean REALLY heavy) i never did any drugs, so I'll have to take your word for it.

I have heard about crack-cocaine, but i dont know about whats the difference personally. The only drug i heard frequently and was tempted to try (But never did, fortunately or unfortunately ... however you put it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) was Ecstasy. Never even did marijuana. I did smoke hookah once with a friend ... it was nice thing to try, but since after college I lost track of friends and you get busy with "life"(mint flavor).

Rick

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

sorry for detouring, but care to explain the difference?

Rick

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Regular cocaine is 'Cocaine Hydrochoride' but when mixed and cooked up with baking soda, it becomes 'crack cocaine' (methylbenzoylecgonine), ie, it is altered, and so are it's effects, and therefore it's addictiveness.

Crack cocaine is highly addictive, people can get addicted on the first hit, whereas regular cocaine is seen as a recreational drug, so it's used when people go partying, not first thing in the morning, every morning.

I've never tried either myself, my fave drugs are alcohol and caffeine, and I have cut both down recently.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I refuse to ingest anything harder than caffeine or sugar.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Well, I was addicted to caffeine, it seems. It's sneaky, because it doesn't impair your thought processes, and is socially acceptable, it's easy to over do.

But I gave up for a while earlier this year, and went through withdrawal. After several days of dull headaches, I was through it. Now I only allow myself two cups of caffeinated beverages a day, only in the mornings.

Booze is far easier to stop. You just don't drink, but caffeine, nice percolated caffeine, gnaws at the back of your mind, .... well, mine anyway.

23. John99 Banned Banned

I drink coffee every day but if i miss a day or two due to circumstances where i cant have coffee then i hardly think about it.

What phlog is describing may be psychological due to the fact that he is accepting this as permanent.