Study: Sugar may be as addictive as cocaine

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cosmictraveler, Dec 11, 2008.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

How many 'regular' people know heroin dealers? Sorry, but your argument is flawed from the start.

Heroin however is considered a 'hard drug', but withdrawal is similar to flu. IE, unpleasant, but easily dealt with.

Nicotine is not considered a hard drug, but is one of the most addictive substances there is. While smokers get support, there's no where near the mollycoddling heroin users get when they try and stop. Most of the problem with heroin users is psychological, not physical, it's getting them to break the mindset that made them try the drug, ie, the loser mentality. This is why it is simply a matter of willpower, in the end.

Caffeine is pretty addictive. I had headaches for three days when I gave up, but I did give up.

Cocaine is not physically addictive at all. Crack cocaine is, but then the IQ of people who try it is nothing special to start with, so it's hardly surprising they can't summon the willpower to give up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Endorphin release isn't it? Same mechanism that gets people addicted to running etc. I love chili, and I also run, go figure!

I can't go a week without spicy food. It is my weakness. I've given up alcohol and caffeine before, they are easy, but chili? I've never tried, but that's largely due to not knowing of a health benefit of giving up too.

Eating chilis can become a lifestyle though. I've grown my own before, as have my friends, I buy different varieties to try them out, and always have several types in store. Currently I have some fresh bird's eye, some dried halapenos, and some chipotles. I also have some 'Tropical Island' scotch bonnet based sauce, some 'Blairs MegaDeath Sauce', and of course, the old stalwart, Tabasco.

On digestion, I rarely get the 'ring of fire' experience (I had a 'Chicken Chili Chili on Wednesday, ZERO effect in the nethers.), but if I eat curry, I do notice I sweat out the spices over the following days. I guess different people react differently to capsaicin too, therefore.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why is salt addictive, I've always wanted to know that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

because sodium is hard to get in a natural diet and the body needs it to do alot of things including making your heart beat. There for as the body thinks it needs to store it and get it while it can it will crave it

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ah, that's why I can never resist eating salty food in industrial quantities...

9. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Not a big sugar fan, did cocaine twice 2.5years ago never gonna do it again.
    Have I ever told anyone that am awesome? hm probably didn't even need to tell you, it was just that easy to notice.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

WTF? You act like this is something new. Doctors have been telling people to avoid sugar for decades.

Sodium is not hard to get in a natural diet. Americans consume lightyears more table salt than they will ever need. If you can avoid table salt, refined sugar, and flour, you will be doing your body a huge favor. These things have no nutritional value. All they do is cause physical and mental damage.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Idiot. Sodium is hard to get, learn some facts.

Table salt, refined from a salt mine. Or sea salt, prodcued industrially. neither are 'natural' sources from foods, are they?

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wrong.
    FACT: Sodium is not hard to get in a natural diet. Americans consume lightyears more table salt than they will ever need.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Lixluke, i wont do as phlogistician did and call you an idiot but i will suggest you go back and see how far back in time sodium salt (rather than potassium salt which is in higher concentrations in meat and veg) has been in the diet of our ancestors.

Your looking at a MODEN diet and saying "its here now, so it must have always been here" which is WRONG. The human body didnt develop to deal with a moden diet, it is still designed to handle a cave mans diet and trying to handle a moden diet.

In a moden diet POTASSIUM is in low levels and Sodium is in high levels yet the body has little ability to retain potassium or to get rid of sodium. In fact it does the exact oposite, it preserves calicium and sodium salts and activly eliminates potassium salts because this is what it expects to need to do.

your right that sodium in a MODEN diet is WAY above what we need, in fact its so far above it that it causes problems like hypertention and can even cause cardiac arythmia in some people. This doesnt invalidate the fact that the body still hasnt learnt that we can now mine sodium

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

LEARN TO READ.

You said 'natural diet' and the referred to table salt, which is produced industrially. IE, salt is ADDED to food, because the food does not include it NATURALLY.

Clearly, you have never seen documentaries about the lengths people go to, to mine salt. Crossing deserts, digging in extreme heat, and loading up camels with salt cakes and transporting them hundreds of kilometres, and it's all worth it, because salt is precious, and essential.

Oh, and you're an idiot for not knowing about this, and making such claims as you have.

15. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Who cares? This doesn't change any of the claims I made or facts presented. What is your point? That you cannot get enough sodium on a natural diet? Bullcrap. That typical American garbage diet does not way OD on sodium? More bullcrap.

I really don't see what you are talking about. Isn't this what I just finished saying? I don't know what you mean by modern diet. I am talking about the typical American diet in terms of tons of junk food, fast food, processed food, and other products. All overflowing with salt. As I stated, Americans consume light years more salt per year than they need. We OD on salt. What is my point? That woring about not getting enough sodium is absurd.

16. superstring01 Moderator

Allah knows I'm totally a carb addict. I crave the really bad ones, day and night. I'm only just barely in control of my cravings. Coke, I can resist... sugar, I have to give in at least once a week or the beast rears its ugly head.

~String

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

A natural diet is low in salt (sodium). Only 10% of the Sodium intake in a regular diet is from from fresh produce, meaning people are at a borderline level of sodium intake, at about 500mg a day, if they eat no pre-prepared food, nor add any additional salt.

As table salt is not found in food 'naturally' your claim was invalid.

You used the word 'natural', which fails to apply when people eat so much pre-prepared food. Burgers do not grow on trees!

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

your body needs sugar, kids especially need sugars in they're diet (not to much though)

they ahve natural sugar from fruit and many other sources

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You really do lead a sheltered life don't you. I see dealers inside of high class restaurants , bars and nightclubs as well as everywhere else people go and work. If you are that naive then how does one be able to afford a gram of powderer coke that costs over 100.00 US if they aren't at least somewhat wealthy ?

If by physically addictive, you mean 'ceasing intake causes physiological effects', then yes, it is. lots of pubmed links

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ne withdrawal&tool=fuzzy&ot=cocaine withdrawl

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

Wow, you should work for the DEA with your drug dealer spotting ability. You'd have them all rounded up in no time.

Personally, I'm not aware that I have ever met a heroin dealer, and nor would I be able to spot one.

I think you'll find nicotine is far more addictive. That's the plain truth. Cocaine withdrawal is one rung above Caffeine withdrawal (both affect dopamine receptors after all), and two below heroin. Kicking heroin is likened to having the flu. I've had the flu, haven't you? Unpleasant, but you knew it was going to end, and you;'d be fine, so easily tolerable.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Learn the difference between NATURAL and TYPICAL AMERICAN you stupid retard.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't work for the DEA if they paid me a million dollars to do so. That being said I use to frequent many social gathering spots in my younger years and saw the dealers selling everything in the drug world. I guess I wasn't "minding my own business" when I noticed the selling of bags of heroin, crack and weed in the bathrooms I was in. Then in the parking lots as well the dealers make their sales which can be viewed if you just open your eyes but I guess you don't ever want to see the truth.

With all of the links I provided you with I guess you never bothered to read any of them. They all point out that coke is very addictive moreso than caffine, if you read the links. If you don't like the scientists viewpoints then I guess you will just be stuck justifying your views with your own opinions and statements .:shrug:

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Coke, in it's native form, is not that physically addictive. Crack cocaine, or 'freebase' is a different matter, however. Which are you talking about, or are you lumping the two together? 'Cos if you do that I'll lump in coca leaves, which are harmlessly used by indigenous populations, and dissolve your convolution.

BTW, your list was lazy. Just the results of a search. If you'd linked to a couple of articles, and quoted the salient parts, because you had actually read them, that might have proved your point.

Nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. Do you want to argue that?