Study: Anger Toward God Linked to Poor Mental Health

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mind Over Matter, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

http://www.christianpost.com/news/study-anger-toward-god-linked-to-poor-mental-health-48344/

If you have have ever been angry with God in the face of trials, you're not alone. A two-year old study published in the Journal of Personality and Psychology has found that people are often angry with God in the midst of difficult situations. Two out of every three respondents among 5,472 university students showed that they were angry with the Judeo-Christian God. Anger against God was found both inside and outside of religious community.

That study showed that those who are more religious don't get as angry. Atheists and those questioning the existence of the devine are the ones most likely to harbor more frequent, prolonged feelings of ill will towards God compared to believers.

The research also showed that those who continued to harbor anger against God had poorer medical recovery. Anger at God was also associated with poor mental health.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If atheists are mad at god, they are not really atheists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Yes, or maybe anti-theists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

An anti-theist would be mad at religion not god.

8. superstring01 Moderator

Bingo, spider. This study is about people--who believe in god--being angry with said fictional deity.

Atheists know better.

We aren't angry at any supernatural entity, we're angry with people who constantly use their belief in the supernatural as an excuse for stupidity, never ending warmongering, homophobia, sexism, clitorectomies, crusades, witch burnings, did I mention war?, general retardation of society for the past several thousand years and their total disregard for scientific understanding. Should theists dispensed with all those things, I think you wouldn't see so many angry atheists.

~String

9. Anouk Registered Member

Well, I wonder how this study is relevant to society...??

10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Your talking about indoctrination of ideology. It is not exclusive of other factions . In fact I think that Clitorec thing is African in nature . Specific tribal rituals of a specific culture . They live in the 3rd world . The best we can do for them is give them shelter . War children its a shot away.
    Anyway to the study :
    I seen a curtain group of citizens lose faith by having terrible deeds done in there lives. There does seem to be a connection with a loss of faith and anger towards God . It may even lead to Atheism and the denial of God or Gods in some of the people . It is an interesting view ? For it is a paradox to not believe and be mad at the thing you don't believe in . It shows how people are disconnected with there own thoughts , or data points in comprehension. If this happens in religions, does it happen in every day life decisions making ? I think it does and it manifests in human developments. "Cross signals" is a good term we could use

11. John99 Banned Banned

The problem with that logic is that throughout recorded history people were religious, take religion out and those problems still exist. In a society with laws\right and wrong it would not be prudent to blame bad behaviour on the fact that a person is godless. New Atheists can be a real pain in the balls though and really just like any other over the top fanatics. Just like ex alcoholics\smokers preaching about not smoking or drinking since they stopped. People are funny that way...not funny in a good way.

If Atheists are any better i certainly have not seen this. Looking at early humans i have to say that the "cave man" mentality was a real problem and they were Atheists. All i am doing is raising some points, no desire to be a cheer leader one way or another and am quite indifferent.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No one is suggesting that atheists aren't humans with all their faults, it's just that atheism eliminates one form of gross stupidity, and raises reason to the level it deserves.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

As others have pointed out, people who are angry at god are not really atheists; they are simply angry theists. But notice the trick this article is trying to pull? They mislabel all these angry/unhappy theists as atheists, and then concludes that being an atheist makes people more angry/unhappy!

I'm guessing I could "prove" that being an atheist makes you bad at football, if you let me re-label all the theists who hate football as atheists...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Those who harbored anger towards God were linked with poorer medical recovery, the study revealed. Anger at God was also associated with poor mental health.

Or... maybe people with poor health are mad at god for making them sick. And belief in the first place could be the result of poor mental health.

15. Rav Valued Senior Member

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You don't know any self-declared atheists who are like that? I know some.

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Ah, lovely! I just realized something: Provoking one's opponents can help one grow in compassion and equanimity.
    It seems to me this is what Dawkins is getting out of this (whether he knows it or not).
    I think it's something I sometimes do too.

18. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

Not necessarily, anti-theism is the opposition of beliefs in God, not the institution or organization that houses it, but the belief itself. So "being mad at religion" wouldn't exactly be accurate.

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean that god isn't out to get you.

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

you got that right . How many times have I stated that . Maybe if you believed in Me as much as I believe in You It would not have to be like that. Did you ever stop to think that maybe God ain't that happy about the way things are going . Just kidding everything is going as planed . The clock unwinds .

What is poor mental health ? Depression ? Anxiety? I mean I understand schizophrenia, Down syndrome, Autism, dyslexia and other learning disabilities . Mentally challenged and all , but are not most of you depressed and anxious at the same time and if not all of you then I am talking about American life style of ladder climbing in society in general . The High anxiety life of success and the smell of money that makes us do stupid things . The reasons we get in our cars and drive like maniacs with road rage being are most artful form of entertainment. Were we take our lives in our own hands and face excruciating potential pain not even by our own actions , but by some other road rage bung hole that plows shit dick into the side of Me pretty all leather interior 1975 fully automatic T bird

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

In my case, at least one I believe in's a practical joker. My gods do hailstorms and rubber chickens.

Most people seem mildly unhappy in a diffuse sort of way.

22. Anouk Registered Member

Well, I am an atheist myself and being one, I can never be mad at God because for me there is non.
    And that I would get angry faster than a believer... Ex-President Mitterant of France would have said: 'Et alors' (so what).
    So I don't see what this 'new knowledge' adds to society or even science.

23. Rav Valued Senior Member

First of all antitheism quite often is characterized as the opposition to religion itself. See the Wikipedia entry. Most of the prominent secular humanists wouldn't have a problem with the belief in some kind of deity if the believers weren't also actively attacking good science, oppressing basic human freedoms and indoctrinating their children to the point where they become destined to grow up and perpetuate the same nonsense themselves. But aside from all that, spidergoat's point was that you don't get mad at a God you don't believe exists, but you can get mad at religion because it does.