Strip James R's Moderator Status

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Arditezza, Jul 22, 2004.

?

Should James R be removed as a moderator?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2004.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    81.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anu Banned Banned

i think james has missed the entire point of the gendanken's complaint

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. anu Banned Banned

There were plenty of smart comments and barbed jibes flying back and forth, but little which actually required deletion (the subject of your complaint being one exception), since the participants did not seem to take offense at most of the comments. (jamesr)

*bolding mine

this is an aspect of any discussion that should be taken into account before any form of moderation takes place. if the community is content with how things are going, i see absolutely no reason for any intervention.

*i shall resist the temptation to comment on the rest., i wanna see how gendy reacts.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I see a number of threads like this popping up: people complaining about the moderators. Hey folks, this is 100 percent volunteer work. I've never been an online forum moderator but I've done plenty of volunteer work in my sixty years. It's hard work, it's thankless, it's one big damn headache. No matter what you do, there are always a lot of people who think you did it wrong. If you do it long enough you settle into a groove in order to maintain your sanity and also in order to retain enough hours in your day to take care of the other activities in your life. You get a little sloppy, you develop an attitude, you start to think of it as your personal domain. You can't help it, it's necessary for survival. Eventually the people who think you're doing it wrong take it personally too.

I confess that I have not read every posting in every thread of this type. But I wonder: How many of the complainants would be both willing to do the job and able to do it well enough to keep it?

I personally would kind of like to be a moderator. I love writing, I love nitpicking, I love making and enforcing rules, I have a big ego and a rather thick skin. But I know I couldn't do it. I couldn't possibly keep track of all the postings in any one forum and do a decent job of patrolling it and keeping the peace. I don't know how much time these moderators spend logged onto SciForums, but I know I don't have anywhere close to that many spare hours in a day. Period.

Do you?

It's a miracle that SciForums works at all. Don't complain about its imperfections. Some of you who post a lot are complete assholes. The moderators don't even come close to your level.

I'm sure that by now David is aware of these controversies. This is his sandbox, let him decide what to do. Give it a rest.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

anu,

You do know that James R is a super moderator and has the power to banish people don't you? I think the fact that he has yet to banish all of his enemies (and you) is proof enough that he has the self control to be a mod.

8. anu Banned Banned

i dont get it, frag. please elaborate

9. anu Banned Banned

i bet the fetus thinks he is paying jamesr a compliment.
    dude, do you even have a fucking brain eh?
    i know, lemme ask it an a language you would understand...

duh duh duh? duhduhduh! duh? duh duh duh!

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

hathor shutup! Unless you want to get banished, again, what would this be the 3rd time? the 4th?

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Do you really think he cares? How long will it take him to get back in? 30 minutes?

I have a question. Was he ip banned or just banned by user id? I have a dynamic IP. But, I have to turn my modem off for a long-ass time for it to get a new one. I wish there was a way I could dynamically release the IP and get a new one. I can release it with my router, but when I get a new one it's the same. Unless I wait a couple of days. Pain in the ass.

12. anu Banned Banned

uh invert
    you desire my banning?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I make no statements on desire. Hell, I don't even know you. I was merely making a statement that you would undoubtably be right back from the way it seems to have gone already. So why bother? I was also curious as the. . . physicality of the methods of banning. If you had to get around an ip address or just a new user name.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I have no clue as I don't banish people.

15. anu Banned Banned

that is cos you are a mutt

vbulletin supports banning by login/ip/subnet/domain (domain i am not positive)

16. anu Banned Banned

pardon. indeed you did not. and of course, i do care if i get banned. it is not really pleasant being ripped out of an online community one calls home (virtual that is)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Then why misbehave?

18. anu Banned Banned

misbehave how?

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

how about repost what a moderator deletes over and over again?

20. anu Banned Banned

there was nothing offensive in that post. i quoted a post by wesmorris that you deleted. i wanted him to elaborate. you then deleted mine. why?

21. MacM Registered Senior Member

James R., and I rarely agree on anything but inspite of his tendancy to demand unending proofs of something rather than address the stated issue, shifting the poster of a thread into an extended defense, he has been about as fair as anyone I have seen here.

I voted "No".

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

anu,

you violated a rule:
    you prevent me from censoring that thread.

23. anu Banned Banned

you stupid mutt. i changed nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.