String and quantum loop

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by fishtail, Dec 21, 2008.

1. fishtail Registered Senior Member

What if any thing, do these theories tell us about the universe, as an outsider i have tried to reason why these theories are considered so important, both theories seem to be (un tested) AFAIK.
    And both theories seem to me to be unending, (they can all ways evolve) to
    fit observations but not predict any thing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I think you are right about that. Personally I just accept that as being the nature of cosmology. The standard cosmology is the most "conservative" because it has the biggest consensus among professionals. Alternative cosmologies like LQC and string theory attempt to push the envelope into areas where the standard cosmology doesn't go; like was there a "before" the big bang, and is there a "beyond" the big bang.

They are untested. AFAIK string theory doesn't yet propose a test but I could be wrong about that. The test proposed for LQC is to look for a special gravity wave foot print in the cosmic microwave background. They haven't found that foot print yet.

The issue with tests that are proposed by cosmologists is that they are tests of predictions, but not tests that can confirm the ultimate truth of the cosmology.

Science is tentative by nature and as advances are made, the consensus on what the standard cosmology is changes, or "evolves" as you say, to what is considered a better physical picture of the universe. There is nothing to say that the picture won't continue to change even as great advances help us to evolve the picture.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Both theories are untested, but both are in theory falsifiable. In fact, a recently reported on prediction of loop quantum cosmology (an offshoot of loop quantum gravity) does differ from the traditional interpretation of the orgin of the universe enough that it may be testable. We just need people to design experiments that would do so.

The reason they are hard to test, though, is not that they can fit any set of predictions. The reason is that both were designed to fit what we know about quantum mechanics. They were built to give answers consistent with that theory. In essence, they had to be built that way, as that theory has been tested and has held up so well so far, that any theory defying it could pretty much be rejected as wrong out of hand.

That said, unlike the metaphysics of quantum mechanics that surround the various "interpretations" of it, it is still the goal to develop these theories to the point where significant testable deviations will exist. In theory, such deviations can exist, though likely at much higher energies that we currently run experiments. The beauty of loop quantum cosmology is that we can look out at the universe and use it to confirm or deny its predictions, but the field is still in its infancy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.