Street cameras

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Norsefire, Jul 27, 2008.

?

Do you support government street security cameras?

1. Yes, but only for major crime areas

28.6%
  2. Yes, widespread use

9.5%
  3. Yes, widespread use + identification and face recognition system

23.8%
  4. No, no use at all

38.1%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I answered your question.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

deleted response

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

So there could be liberal societies in there. Can my society, where there is a lot of freedom, freedom from many traditions you uphold, prevent your society from destroying the environment?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

What do you mean? It would not affect you seeing as you wouldn't be there.

8. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I hate to tell you this but radiation levels went up in my home state in the US after Chernobyl. It was pretty insignificant. In Sweden however....
    You get my point?
    Japan is affected by China's environmental (lack of) policies.
    It is one world baby.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Then we would have diplomacy to get it sorted out in a civil manner, under the overarching centralized government.

10. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

The cameras seem like a good idea, but I don't trust the government to use them correctly and not abuse them. The government doesn't seem to really care about crime, and I know they would like to be able to monitor suspected "terrorists" or whatever this way.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Using force?

12. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

So your model is dependent on imagining that people will suddenly be civil.

Seems like a lot of models will work if we assume this.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If necessary

They would be under an enforced overarching governmental banner.

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

And yet, magically, unlike most of the overarching governments we have had, the one in your system would not abuse its power or become slowly corrupt.

The further you are from your constituents, the more they are like numbers and the more you will kill
    or let die
    for an idea.

15. lejink Registered Member

i dont like the idea, for the simple fact that its used to track you. its just one more way your life is documented, i like privacy personaly. but its hard to argue against it, if your in a position where someone could be watching you then a camera is doing the same thing. a camera doesnt actually do anything to stop a crime. and if the camera is in a high crime area, people arent going to stop stealing or dealing drugs, they will just stand out of view of the camera. so do you like the idea of being researched without knowing? someone doing a marketing research project with you as the subject. tracking you through the city, where you shop, check your cards see howmuch you buy. who you talk to.

16. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

yes...
    and what does it do to us to know we are always being watched. I mean subtly, over time...
    how much humanity do we lose being distrusted all our waking lives?
    how much humanity do we lose being treated as objects all our waking lives?

It is not just the important big brother issues,
    it is also the subtle but sure way we are taken apart by such treatment, made transparent and insignificant, put in our place. Who the fuck do you think you are that 'we' the authorities cannot watch you every goddamn minute of the day. Better put a lid on those feelings 'citizen'. Only the guilty give a damn about being under surveillance 24/7.
    Man, to live under the glare of that hate all the time.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

they are not a good idea, EVEN WHEN A CRIME IS CAUGHT ON THEM, IT DOESNT MEAN THAT THE CRIMINALS WILL BE FOUND GUILTY LIKE MY DAUGHTER FOUND OUT

18. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

Well, thats a problem with the justice system, not the cameras.

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

The point is that the claims of safety are in question. Something from the plus column is put into question. We are sold this encroachment saying it will increase safety.

20. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

That is typical of any kind of electronic "safety". People think burglar alarms protect them from burglars, but really the alarms do nothing other than make noise. The burglar can still wander into the house and shoot people.

I do not know why these types of things don't occur to some people.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

So your idea to make society a better place is for the Government to make war on it's own population.

See, that's when my mind turns towards Molotov Cocktails, and a map with Government buildings marked on it.

You clearly are naive, that's your problem. If you push people, people push back. The populace outnumber the Govt, Police, and Army by a long way. You cannot win a Guerilla war.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no because people act up more for the street cameras, if the goverment really want to keep us safe like they say they do, then perhpas more street police are needed

23. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

they certainly occur to the makers of these devices and the makers of prisons. The US now has enormous highly profitable security industries and a huge % of the population in jail
    and yet people do not feel safe.