Streaming Video

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by thecollage, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecollage Registered Senior Member

Do I need to have a server or administrative access to a web-page in order to stream video?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to stream video from my desktop to someone else's?

I do not want to use Youtube.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

Depending on the browser you can use an option in realplayer to capture streaming videos. It works with IE8 and Firefox, although recent versions of Firefox require a fix to make it work.

If your question is simply looking at streams, my experience is that it just happens when you click on it, say in Youtube.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

this is absurd
    did you two even bother to read the op?

8. John99 Banned Banned

Define 'streaming'.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Streaming is when you take some sort of video or audio source, and broadcast it over the network. Internet radio (for example) is considered "steaming audio".

Here at my house, I have a desktop PC with a TV capture card. I can use windows media encoder to stream my TV over the network. Anybody with a computer and windows media encoder (or even xine/Movie Player/Mplayer/etc if its linux and you have the correct GStreamer packages) can connect to my windows PC and watch my TV.

If you open Windows media Player, and select file > Open URL > type in mms+IP address+portnumber (example - [noparse]mms://192.168.1.101:8080[/noparse]), it will buffer for a few seconds, then connect you to the video stream.

10. keith1 Guest

If "privacy of viewers" is your goal, you can set that preference in the youtube user controls.

There are many (and free) programs available that accomplish streaming video from your desktop (both sender and viewer must download program).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.