Strange question about relations

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Secret, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Secret Registered Senior Member

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relation_(mathematics)

After reading this and reading other posts in this forum, I started to have a question

Is the following a relation?

"The additive identity E is defined to be something such that E+X=X (where X is an element in an algebraic structure with the operation known as "+")"

Throughout the studies in uni, an idea came to mind that when something A is referred as abstract, it means it can only be understood if A is described as something related to something else. So in this example above, E only has meaning if it is related to the operator known as + and an element in the algebraic structure (possibly something trivial like a singleton like {E}

Just yesterday, I read about some pdfs about tensor calculus, and they describe tensors are geometric objects (that is, they are invarient under coordinate transformations)

All of these caused me to think about the following question:

Is there exist at least one mathematical concept which:
    1. Has meaning by itself (i.e. when describing its properties, you don't need to reference to other mathematical concepts?)
    2. Cannot be described as a relation between other mathematical concepts? (e.g. For example similar to the situation when you try to explain what "seeing red" is like)?

If yes, any examples for further research?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

in my opinion the following are triplets:
    the 3 primary color.
    the hypotenuse triplet 3,4,5.
    0,1,2 in base 3.
    there are many more.

this topic probably has a certain subjectivity to it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cornel Registered Senior Member

not realy, they're basically related to each other by being part of a "language"
    (that is not to suppose there is no meaning behind it though)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.