Strange connexion between death and falling asleep

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Pollux V, May 7, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Think about it. You find yourself in bed, tired, ready to close your eyes and drift into a slumber. You have many ideas about what you want to do the next day, and are really thinking about what has already happened ("she said I was cute," for example) in the past twenty or so hours.

Finally you drift off, wake up the next morning, and most of those memories are gone. You're almost a different person who just doesn't care as much about something (a project, for example) or cares more about something than the person that you were before you went to sleep (phew, read that again slower if you didn't get it).

Now suppose that reincarnation is really the way that death works, that when we die we are recycled into another body. Some people here and there say that they can remember things unique to their older lives, but only at a very young age. They soon forget anything about their pasts lives as soon as they pass by their toddler years. Most of the time something really, unbelievably spectacular worth remembering won't happen every day, so we usually just forget generally everything that happened yesterday, the day before, and the day before that. Who remembers if they discussed politics with their best friend two weeks ago, right?

This 'connexion (tolkien word there)' that I'm drawing is like a fractal, a geometric figure formulated by Polluck (I believe) that compares the look of small things inside of large things. Take for example the top of the Great Pyramid. Notice how it looks like the rest of the pyramid, or the top of a mountain. Fractals can't be applied to absolutely everything but it is intriguing when these conclusions can be drawn.

So I'm saying that death is like a bigger version of going to sleep and waking up the next morning. Sometimes you remember about what happened before, sometimes you don't. We only remember what's important, right?

Think about it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Of course, you do realize that when you sleep all your bodily and mind-related functions cease to occur, right? So in that case, it's nothing like death, right? One is where your body rests and heals itself and the mind still thinks, the other is where nothing happens, right?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I detect....SARCASM!!

Actually most of the time, at least for me, I don't remember my dreams, so I might as well just be closing my eyes and then opening them again.

And I think I only said ,right? twice!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Nope, if we are reincarnated we don't remember anything, all former experiences are moot. The only thing we may take with us are natural talents I think, but even that's sketchy. I actualy have been giving thought to the idea and I think if we have souls they're just like cosmic batteries, only a little bit unique and then after you die it just powers someone else, its not realy you going on. But in a sense I suppose you get existance again.

So no it is not like sleep, unless you think of sleep that you never wake up from and never dream in - that's death. The end of existance.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

That's the thing though, assuming that they aren't hoaxes (highly illogical I'll add) these people may be remembering their past lives, like dreams that are important (we don't remember all of them but we do remember a few) when we go to sleep.

But that's one of the questions that I think will always remain unanswered. It's a linear statement but it's really out there to explain and prove what happens after death.

9. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I believe in science when we die. That when you die, your conscienceness simply ceases to exist.

And there's no way to prove reincarnation, it's a faith. Like religion.

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

And yeah, just a teensy bit of sarcasm!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, see my idea was just a concept going on the principle if we have some form of spirit what attributes would it most logically have (in my opinion anyway). But since the question of the spirit is a question of faith I cannot believe in it. You can not belive in something based on faith it is contradictory to reason making it tell us nothing or is not contradictory making it useless. "Irational faith" is useless not a tool as some theologians would argue while "rational faith" is superflous, uneeded distinction.

12. Psycho_Potato Kermit the Communist Registered Senior Member

Falling Asleep

The difference to me, is that, when you fall asleep, you actually know that it is coming. This is unless you have a sleeping disorder which causes you to do so whenever you least want it. But, you can die at any moment without any warning. No remorse.

13. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Hypothesis is another term for faith

Many faiths within one idea. It's like walking down stairs that your not looking at but you know your foot will fall right where it's supposed to. May the force of gravity and realism be with you.

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah but with death there's really nothing you can do about it, nothing, so just live life to the fullest and hope that there's something after (or whatever you want, I don't know). Faith is important in our lives but it really is just as likely that nothing happens after death as well as we go on to have sex with just about everyone we want to after death. We just have no idea, and can have no idea with scientific evidence to back it up. It is beyond science.

15. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Exactly, since we only have scientific knowledge and this is what Atheists base their claims they take the negative standpoint and win in a rational debate. Also Pollux - you're becoming an agnostic.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I wish I knew what that was. I hope it was a good thing.

17. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

18. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

That, too, is faith. Belief without reason.

19. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No, not faith. Logic and Reason, rationaly thinking it out based on facts. We know science , we have absolutely no basis for religous arguments on after we die. We aren't going on faith, simply logic, the one thing that has - or really doesn't I suppose require proof. It's a negative stanpoint.

Agnostic is not necassarily a bad thing, it just means that you believe man can never truley have knowledge of the supernatural. You claim nothing, simply - we cannot know.

20. itchy Registered Senior Member

I agree with Pollux about the connection between death and sleep. I came up with the idea a couple of years ago.

Of course you have to know what you mean by "yourself". What constitutes death? I think of the "self" as your conscienceness. And when you go to sleep your conscienceness slips into unconscienceness, the rational and logical self ceases to exist and you loose contact with your body. I don't see how this differs from death. I understand that your body is still functioning and all, but the part that I define as me exists no more.

The way I look at it is that every time you wake up you are really a new "self" or person, except you share the same memories basically. Why would we fear death more than going to sleep? I think it is illogical to comfort yourself by the fact that you wake up in the morning, since this is a new person and not the one you are now. I guess people will say this is the same person though, but think about what you mean by "oneself". This is really the question.

If one defines another person they would certainly seem the same, but if we define ourselves from our own perspective it becomes more difficult.

21. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I am not scared of anything like this anymore. I'm not scared of death, why you may ask? Because I've realized how completely usless I am: I will never make an impact, be important to anyone, do anything important, be truley happy. Death is just the end of me taking up space. I love living, its the most incredible thing - it is everything. BUt everything must end, and not many people will care about me, and of course, I won;t be able to.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Hey Cactus. Welcome to the first step. You're starting to realize all the facts of logic. Much more to come! Same with me!

When I figured out what you just said, I realized I would die for just about anyone else to live. My life is useless and I know it.

I'm also kind of high right now thought so.....groove on.

23. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

No, that's something I figured out a long time ago. Almost anyone else's life is more important than mine, my death wouldn't matter and at least I would have saved someone that could have made a difference. Or been happy. Or had all the things I've been hopelessly searching for my whole life and will never find.

Anyway I'm just been depressed past two days, got a smack in the face from reality. I'll get over it, then it will eventualy come back some time later....... Allways does.

-BTW, getting high sounds like a good idea right now.

No officer I haven't been doing drugs.