Straight outta Borat - Kazakhstan government backdoors its citizens

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Plazma Inferno!, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Kazakhstan government has passed a bizarre law that would require citizens to install a certificate via Kazakhstan Telecom on all their personal devices allowing the government to capture all the web traffic, passwords and financial details of the population.
    By words of Nurlan Meirmanov, Managing director on innovations of Kazakhtelecom JSC, Internet users will be required to install national security certificate, which will be available through Kazakhtelecom JSC internet resources (www.telecom.kz).

Source

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing that it's probably intended to prevent people from communicating anonymously.

China already does something similar, though my impression is that they do it by capturing all the traffic going through Chinese ISPs and internal telecommunications lines, searching it for key-words, then taking down websites and/or making arrests accordingly.

Just try setting up a webpage about Falun Gong in China or doing a search on Baidu for 'Dalai Lama'.

I'm told that Saudi Arabia does much the same thing inside their country, regarding content that's considered un-Islamic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So, Sciforums is no longer secure?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Nothing on the web is secure.
    If you want privacy, you ain't gonna find it here.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

There is at least one thing that seems positive about the move by the Kazakhstan government. User's of the web at least know they are not anonymous and have no "real" password username security.
    At least the government is up front about it's potential to spy and influence.
    Personally I would rather know that privacy is a myth than to believe it isn't, which most of the world's users tend to believe.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member