Stinky Revelations

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Lady, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Well, what I was trying to convey is that it is defective with respect to the protein receptor (that is an assumption on my part), but it beneficial as a whole for the organism. I don't actually know a whole lot about the TD4 itself, though. Most of what I have said is just from how virii work and how cells communicate with the environment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

TD4 is for histamine... but histamine can get into a T cell through some other means (which is?), so TD4 is redudent and lossing it is only a benifit!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

unless it has some other role, which we haven't figured out yet. I guess that speaks for itself and maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Maybe? there is still so much we don't know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

I did some research on this topic, and found a few minor errors in what we have been saying. The receptor that the virus attaches to is called the CD4 receptor. Not a big deal, just a minor difference in nomenclature. But the co-receptor, a membrane spanning protein named CCR5 is what is defective in the people immune to the virus. This comes from the Virology unit of my Microbiology textbook. Apparently the 1% of 'white' people that have the defective CCR5 protein are immune to HIV attacks, as the virus cannot attack the macrophage cells in the body.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  9. Lady Banned Banned

Maggots

I hate to change your chain of thought but perhaps one of you can answer this?
    Does the virius die even after the host is dead? By this, I mean once the flesh starts decaying and the transformation of live maggots take form... does the viruis live on within them? Are the maggots the new host? Is this possible?

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sorry about that i only heard it at a Genetics update conference 2 years ago.

No the original virus that infected the cell is dead... but it has now made millions of copies of its self.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  11. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

WellCooked: It's no problem at all. I understand how minor specifics can be lost over time. The correction was more for the benefit for anyone who wanted to do some research on their own. I looked online (Google specifically), but couldn't find anything using "TD4" as my search. That's all.

Lady: You don't always die from a viral infection. The common cold is caused by a virus. WellCooked is right though; once the virus infects the first cell, that copy of it is pretty much dead.

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hey could i see where you found out about CD4? I would like to catch up on that.

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

HIV has a glycoprotein on its surface that fits a specific protein(CD4) on the...yep, you guessed it.. on the T4 cell's surface.

14. Lady Banned Banned

but it has now made millions of copies of its self.

** Are these million of cells now part of the maggot? The spirit left but the flesh simply transformed into a live maggot? It still has the host in another form. Have you ever gave a maggot a HIV test? Mabey the bodies should be burned, after death.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

virii like HIV have very simple genome specifically design to attack white blood cells of higher simians and hominids… I doubt that the virus can live and reproduce in flies, but then again I have not heard of any studies on it! It would make a good research project!

16. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

let's do it...let's start the research...we will become famous....just like Watson and Crick...or was that Jeckyl and Hyde.:bugeye:

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Why not? Im not a biologist though

18. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

20. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Out of curiousity, what is your area of expertise? Chemistry?

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

It says in my profile

22. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Isn't that a branch of Biology though?

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Technically chemistry but since I’m going for the non-ACS approved version of BioChem. and adding 6 more classes from Biotech which is under biology I don’t know where I stand! It’s a dual major under Biotech (Biology department) and Biochemistry (Chemistry department) All the other guys at lab laugh at me because I’m the only guy there that’s not a chemist but a something or another