"Sticky" sticks too long - let no interest threads sink.

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Billy T, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

For example, there have been no post to the World Events forum thread "Wall of the World" for three months, but it continues to displace more active threads to the next page.

IMHO:
    (1) That thread should never have been made sticky to start with.

(2) New monitor Superstring99 is not doing the "house-keeping jobs" of a monitor well.

(3) Sticky threads should ONLY be made to post general rules etc. of the forum, not to keep some subject the monitor likes on the top of the first page, especially when no one else is interested in it. If a thread is active and interesting to many it will automatically stay on the first page. If no one wants to see some thread, let it sink to other pages!

(4) Pete & James R do a good job of managing the very active Physics and Math forum. They have only 3 (very appropriate and helpful) sticky threads. Follow their example. Let the users decide by their use (or lack of use) which limited subject threads stay on the first page.

(5) If there is to be a sticky thread about the monitor, (and I see no reason for one) at least do not lock it to prevent any adverse comments. I had to post here as Superstring99 has locked the sticky thread about his being the monitor of the World Events Forum. What is the purpose of locking that thread, if not to avoid critical comment?

PS, by edit later:
    I just noticed that spidergoat and goofyfish are also monitors of World Events, so above comments critical of Superstring apply to them as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I never stuck "wall of the world", and neither did String. That's why I haven't unstuck it. I also have no idea what it's about.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Do you have power to unstick it? let it die the death it deserves? If not, who does?

I think you could find out what it is about by opening it but as I reacal it is about some group wanting to hold hands in a long human chain (for some worthwhile, if impractical cause, not doubt.)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

la la la la I can't hear you... but I did unstick it.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree 100%! I could have written that myself. In fact, I did start a thread on this very issue once.

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

All threads should be sticky. And locked.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks. Sorry i did not get back here sooner to thank you. Now I think there is a good chance that we can observed something moving faster than the speed of light. I.e. what was the linear rate at which that silly thread sank down the pages?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member